TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
mikedixon

Default Older model TM

We own a 1989 model TM 26. Just curious if anyone else on the forum has one this old. If so, how has it held up, what kind of problems are inherent to the older models. We have had ours about 1 week and appears to be in very good shape. Just wondering what we may be able to expect.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Because the older models have (varying amounts) of wood in the frame, I'd make sure that it was kept covered, just in case of an unanticipated leak. We keep ours set up and covered, it keeps it nice and clean and also keeps the water out of the tail lights. Before we had the cover we'd have to clean out the lenses and clean the contacts before we left whenever it had been sitting for a while in the winter. There are covers that will work for keeping it set up and also smaller covers for when it's folded down.

We haven't had to do much maintenance except fixing the things that break (or that we break), wheel bearings, tires, battery, etc.

You might want to check out the threads on the wheel well modification. The newer TM's come with rounded wheel wells which seems to help protect against damage from blowouts. It's an afternoon project.

This site has the instructions (thank you to whoever posted it, I don't know whose site it is): http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/whlwell.htm
Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Hejeharger

Smile

Hi, If a duplicate of this reply shows up somewhere, it is because I got a phone call, hit the mouse and the first copy ended up in the fourth dimension!
We have an 87 2619 that we have done quite a bit of work on so I will try to list some of the things here. We like our design better than the new ones, and will try to make it a legal antique in a few years.
The first thing I did was replace the wood on the sides of the pullouts by the beds with pressure treated decking - a perfect fit! Next, I took out the vent light assembly and replaced it with a variable speed fan. While doing this I connected a 30w fluorescent lamp over the table. The lamp is stuck on with velcro and removed when lowering the trailer. Power is connected with a speaker jack that can be separated when removing the light. When I notice the awning coming loose, I replaced the wood along the top of the forward section and around part of the door. There was actually very little wood left in the areas that I replaced.
An important discovery when checking the brakes, was that one had not been operating for a while due to a broken wire. This year I replaced the brakes and accuators only to find out I could have bought a complete drum unit for not much more. One thing here, if you have the older drum and axle, I found that the inner bearing sent was not the same as the one on the trailer. It turned out that the outer bearings were the only ones that needed to be replaced.
This year we also replaced the carpet and curtains. The carpet was only stapled down and I was able to use it as a patter for the new carpet. I just put the new carpet upside down on the garage floor, laid the old carpet also upside down on top of it and traced it out. When putting the new carpet in, I added a 1/4 inch padding. As the new carpet is twice the thickness of the old, plus the padding, it really feels warm and soft on those cold mornings. Both the carpet and curtains were selected to match the dusty rose of the mattress and the combination looks quite good. When sewing the curtains, we did not try to save the old plastic tape and slides, but purchased new ones through our dealer.
The dealer I purchased the trailer from, replaced the old tires and spare with Loadstar tires and we have been happy with them. He also put a higher grade valve stem on them as well. We know of several problems people have had with blowouts due to deteriorated valve stems, so check them for cracks or any signs of wear.
We have made several other changes that have made the trailer more comfortable for us. One other thing while I think of it. I cleaned the trailer with bleach cleaner and elbow grease and then moped it with future floor wax. I has held up quite well!
If you have any questions, I will try get back on the site to check, as it might be something we ran across already.
Have a great summer!
Jonathan & Erika Harger