TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
rshort

Default TV Antenna

Hello,

Looking to install a "crank up" TV antenna to my 2720. Any ideas are welcomed. Brand, installation, wire runs etc...

Thanks,

Ron
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I'm a little surprised yours didn't come with one installed, tbh.

Winegard seems to be the brand TM uses, afaik. A quick search will turn it up. I'm fairly sure (without pulling out my TM for the manual) that this is the one on my roof: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-antenna/26655

There is a newer version that is more geared for HDTV: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-antenna/50011 but that's pretty much the same as the one I have with the "Wingman" already installed: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-wingman/44021

We don't watch enough OTA TV while camping to warrant the upgrade to the Wingman. Likewise, unless we really start watching more OTA (very, very doubtful) I wouldn't install one of these: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...al-meter/55642

As to how to install it, I have nothing to add there. Mine came installed, on the front shell. If you want a picture of the outside, I can try to get one.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When the factory installs an antenna, the wire is already installed in a channel in the wall and ceiling, emerges from the bottom edge of the front shell, and becomes part of the wire bundle that comes down the support arm. I don't know if the channel and wire are already there (part of the "standard construction"), but it is at least possible. If so, you could cut a mounting hole at the standard spot, grab the upper end of the wire, and pull it out.

But how to know? The only way I can think of it is to examine the wire bundle, looking for a piece of TV cable that doesn't go anywhere. If one end disappears up into the wall, you may have it made.

If there is no cable, then you may want to mount the antenna at some other location, since you will have to run the cable in the open. Without much thought, perhaps near the rear edge of the front shell. you would then run the cable along the top of the roof to the bag seal, sideways across the end of the roof, and then down the rear edge of the front shell, bringing it into the wire bundle. Then down the support arm, up into the back of the refrig compartment, and then out along the top of the refrig to the standard mounting location for the Winegard panel. You will need a bit of 12-volt power at the panel location.

Let us know what you find - we all learn from these projects.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
moaboy

I've never used mine as normally I am where there is cable. If I'm in the boonies I've not had a TV with me.

I've always wondered how good an antenna is in pulling in a signal ? I understand it depends on where you are, transmitters are located, and terrian etc.
but can folks give me a sense of what kind of experience they have had?

Also I guess one would have to use a digital converter box on a standard antenna unit, correct?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

In January I bought a digital add on for the TM's antenea, at camping world. I intended to install it this weekend but my husband collapsed the TM before I got a chance to do it. It looks really simple to install as an add on to the current antena. The product I bout is called: Winegard Wingman Optimize your sensar for DTV.

I will install it the next time we have the camper open and will let you know how it does.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

I've used my antenna/amp in a few places and it does a fair job of pulling in the stations that are available. If your still using an old television with a analog tuner then you will need a digital to analog converter box. If you have a newer tv with a built in digital tuner then it will do the job without a converter box. I have a newer digital/analog television but i also have a converter box that i prefer using for viewing off the air television rather than the digital tuner in my tv. Main reason,---the converter box can scan for available channels much faster than my television does and the box has a handy signal meter to help me fine tune the antenna position.

Tim
Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
When the factory installs an antenna, the wire is already installed in a channel in the wall and ceiling, emerges from the bottom edge of the front shell, and becomes part of the wire bundle that comes down the support arm. I don't know if the channel and wire are already there (part of the "standard construction"), but it is at least possible. If so, you could cut a mounting hole at the standard spot, grab the upper end of the wire, and pull it out.

But how to know? The only way I can think of it is to examine the wire bundle, looking for a piece of TV cable that doesn't go anywhere. If one end disappears up into the wall, you may have it made.

If there is no cable, then you may want to mount the antenna at some other location, since you will have to run the cable in the open. Without much thought, perhaps near the rear edge of the front shell. you would then run the cable along the top of the roof to the bag seal, sideways across the end of the roof, and then down the rear edge of the front shell, bringing it into the wire bundle. Then down the support arm, up into the back of the refrig compartment, and then out along the top of the refrig to the standard mounting location for the Winegard panel. You will need a bit of 12-volt power at the panel location.

Let us know what you find - we all learn from these projects.

Bill
This is precisely what I did when I added a XM antenna on our earlier 3124. It is a great way to run electronic wiring into the trailer. YMMV.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Our Winegard antenna does a great job of pulling in off-the-air channels. I fiind that our converter box paired with our old style TV works the best. I bought a newer AC/DC digital TV and it doesn't work nearly as well as using the converter box with the old TV. With the Winegard antenna I get signals that don't even come in at all here at our house now that the broadcasts are digital. I replaced ours a few years back so it is a newer model, but it doesn't have that extra digital thingey you can buy now to attach. We like to be able to watch the news and weather when we're camping so we know what's going on in the world and can better plan our activities (i.e., don't want to rent a metal fishing boat if thunder & lightning is expected ).