TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
BobRederick

Default High wattage inverter

This week, I read with interest about folx using a high wattage inverter to power things like microwave oven, tv and toaster. I have heard this from RV users as well as boat operators.

My concept would be to start my 700 Watt Honda generator, then turn on the inverter, followed by the microwave oven. In that way, my PD9160 converter would be providing up to 60A with the TM battery providing the remainder.

If my oven is 700 Watts and say 80% efficient, it needs 1000 watts.
If the inverter is 90% efficient, it needs 1111 watts.
1111/12=92.6 Amperes input to the inverter.
If the PD9160 is flat out and providing 60A, the Honda will be at its max limit and groaning.

My TM will be providing the remaining 32.6A. This doesn't account for a startup surge. The TM is fused at 30A and I have the single OEM 12V battery.

This all sounds like everything is on the edge of disaster. Am I missing something here?

From you who have done this, what are you fusing your TM battery with? Also, how many batteries are you running? Any other suggestions?

From reading the web, I guess the "modified sine" inverters will power a microwave oven, but I would like to hear from successful users before smoking this thing!

I would like to hear the engineering behind installation of one of these from someone who has been there. I read the 1750 Watt inverter installation note by Harry Womak with interest. Howzitgoin, Harry?

(It occurs to me that the Honda gen needs to be bigger to do this job, like 2000 watts. Then the inverter isn't needed either since the generator has to be running to make this work anyway.)

BTW, I have an Xantrex Link 10 amp hour meter in the mail for my TM. With this, I will be able to see the battery take the nose-dive when I turn the oven on!
Old 10-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bob -

You will plug the TM power cord into the generator, thus powering up the entire TM electrical system, right. That is how you get the converter powered up. Now just to be sure - you won't also have the inverter's AC output connected to the AC wiring of the trailer, will you?

If you do, be sure to take pictures of the mess that results!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
BobRederick

Bill

No, I was going to plug the inverter into the TM wiring to draw current from the 12V line. Actually since this current is so high, it needs its own separate short fat wiring. Then..... I hadn't thought that all my 110V wiring is now off limits. So everything that runs off 110V now has to have another separate wiring circuit as well. Hopefully, I would have figured that out before plugging in the microwave...