TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
roned2

Default weber baby q grill

Does anyone successfully run a BabyQ grill from the main Trailmanor tanks. I got a conversion hose but it would not fit on the TM tank. Suggestions?
Prodigy Brake Controller
roned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Scott O

Yep...get one of the small portable propane tanks and use it just for the grill. Otherwise you will spend the next couple of weeks searching for the proper adapters, which you probably won't find. And by the way, the Weber has a pressure regulator built in. So does the TM, which makes it very unlikely you will be able to connect to the TMs propane system directly. In case you cant tell, I've been there!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The TM propane tanks have POL and ACME fittings. POL is the fitting that screws into the inside threads; ACME are the large plastic nuts that go on the very coarse exterior threads. The TM connects to the tanks with ACME nuts, which are much easier to connect/disconnect vs. the POL fittings.

I use a hose like this for my Weber Q grill (which has an ACME nut):
http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Grill-.../dp/B000THEZR8

You can also use one like this, which has a POL fitting instead of an ACME nut:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-High-P.../dp/B0009PUQAK

To use the TM propane tank for your grill, you'll have to disconnect one of the TM hoses from a tank and connect the above hose for your grill. Alternatively, as Scott suggested, get a 4 or 5 pound refillable tank. They are way cheaper to operate, have a much more reliable valve, and don't clog landfills or waste precious steel. The 4.25 pounder made by Worthington are harder to find vs. the 5 pound Manchester, but the Manchester is easier to knock over because it has a narrower base.

As Scott mentioned, you won't be able to run a grill off the TM propane tanks by teeing into the house propane line because grill is a high pressure device. The TM propane lines after the regulator are all low pressure....there is one regulator, which is right in between the tanks, and it serves all the propane appliances with propane at 1-2 psi (IIRC). It also prevents high pressure gas from having to be piped all over your living quarters.

You can purchase low pressure stoves and grills, but they are harder to find. They will specifically say they are low pressure, and shouldn't have a regulator.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I use a high pressure splitter, which I mounted onto one tank. It has an acme attachment, and a male "disposable" tap, to which I attach a long 12' hose, to go to the grill:

http://www.adventurerv.net/degrees-p...er-p-1307.html
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59033-Pr...ef=pd_sbs_sg_5

(also comes in a kit with both parts together, but I found it's a little cheaper separately)

This works perfectly. I've since (at DW's request) purchased one of those portable campfires (campfire-in-a-can, it's actually really nice!) Gives a campfire feeling, while being able to regulate output 100%, which is nice with twin 2 1/2 year olds. Plus, you can just turn it off when you're done, no need to worry about wood burning down or what have you. Gives us options. For this, I got another tee, and another hose, so I can keep both the grill and campfire plugged in and away from the TM. So far, so good, and I don't need to pack the extra weight of another propane cylinder.

Just FYI, the low pressure is like 0.5 psi (11 inches of pressure, or something like that.) Some grills can be converted, I have read about people converting a Baby Q to low pressure with varying success. I have a low pressure T put in by my dealer, but haven't been able to find anything to use with it. The portable campfire would, but then there's a hose length issue, and I wanted it to be far from the TM, so I opted for the high pressure solution (as suggested by the C-i-a-C engineer). 24' of hose, and it's perfectly usable.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
ferdoh

Smile

Check this page: http://www.campingworld.com/category...rs/151/&page=1 Camping world has most anything that you would need. There is a high pressure adapter Y that you can use to run high pressure to the grill. It lets you leave the tank on the TM and run a 12' hose with the throw away tank threads to the grill.
ferdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

This is the kit we have & the only thing that would make it better is a longer hose.

Stay Flow Plus

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I sue the same hose on my small 3 pound propane cylinder as I do for the larger TM cylinders.

I bought my hose at Home Depot. I can use it on my 3 gas grilles and also on the two burner Coleman stove.

One end has the same threads as a small disposable propane cylinder has, so it goes directly on the appliance. The other end goes directly to the propane cylinder. As someone else mentioned some hose thread inside the propane cylinder fitting and some thread on the outside.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Along this same topic, I am looking for a tee for an ACME nut on one end, and male ACME fittings (like what's on the propane tank) on the other 2 ends. All the tees I've seen have a male disposable propane tank fitting on one end (instead of the male ACME fitting). Has anyone ever seen one?

Dave
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Along this same topic, I am looking for a tee for an ACME nut on one end, and male ACME fittings (like what's on the propane tank) on the other 2 ends. All the tees I've seen have a male disposable propane tank fitting on one end (instead of the male ACME fitting). Has anyone ever seen one?

Dave
My tee has a female and male acme, and then a male disposable. Why would you want two male acme fittings?

By the by, once you have the male disposable fitting, you can use a 12' female to male hose to extend the reach, just screw it on the end. I've put two together for 24' with no problems.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
My tee has a female and male acme, and then a male disposable. Why would you want two male acme fittings?
Because I have a stove and grill, each having an acme nut. I can't use my 4-pound portable cylinder to fuel both at the same time. I could accomplish that with a few different adapters, but I'd rather use one tee.

Dave