TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
saltbranch

Default toilet replacement options

I have searched and read alot of threads..
I want to replace the 80 with either a standard RV toilet or Cassette toilet. What are the limiting factors in size of the toilet...must I stay within the diminsions in height of the 80 or is there any "wiggle" room to go taller?
My TM is currently being used as a weekend camphouse at our property since 6/10 and has stayed opened up. I should be starting a cabin in January and returning the TM to family camper status...but I want to get rid of the thetford 80 for sure.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The 80 is quite large. It can be replaced by most any RV toilet. You can go about 4" or more in height, although I don't know why you would. The 80 is pretty tall.

Just remember, if you go to an RV toilet, it will require a holding tank of some sort if you ever want to use the trailer without hook-ups.

I wish that I could find a cassette toilet that would fit in the TM.........I've tried. If you find one, please let me know. A cassette toilet would require cutting a hole through the wall for the cassette removal but that's no big deal. I think that would be a very good option. That way, you never have to worry about the holding tank filling up. You can just pull out the cassette and dump it at the dump station or in any toilet.

Another option is a Thetford 365 porta-potti.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CE4Q8wIwAA#

It's about the same as having a cassette toilet except you would have to remove the bottom tank in the bathroom and carry it through the trailer. That's no big deal either (to me), I just think that the cassette is a cleaner, more professional installation.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
saltbranch

Thanks harveyrv for the info. The holding tank is not a problem me, as I have 2 strong young men to help dad with that duty, if I go with an RV toilet.
I was just not sure on how high I could go, not to interfere with closing the camper up.
On a side note, per one of your posts on the heater thermostat, I changed to the digital...works sweet! I went with a 24.99 unit from Walmart, cant remember the brand. Was an easy change out and works great. Set it and forget it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

saltbranch - you might be interesting in reading this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10956

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
saltbranch

Shrimp I have read that thread and your thread on with pics on how the 80 works....thanks for sharing the pics.
I know I just want to get rid of the recirculating toilet.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

BTW.....there is plenty of room for a 20G black water tank under the floor of a 2720, between the frames.

For me, a cassette toilet is still the best option for long camp-outs, without having to fold-up to dump or use a tote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03513.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	5374   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03515.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	5375  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Well.................we finally decided this weekend.......the old "Magic #80" is going.

I just ordered a Thetford 465E porta-potti from Amazon....$160......
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

We very seldom camp with hook-ups and I am sick of the mess with this toilet and look forward to being able to dump the holding tank every 3-days.

I plan on just covering the hole in the floor and building a custom fit platform for the new porta-potti to sit in. It should end up being the exact same height as the current toilet but will give us 2" more space in front of the toilet. That will be nice too.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Wayne, I Just read the two reviews for it at amazon -- how does one "Pump it out"?

Tim
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Wayne, I Just read the two reviews for it at amazon -- how does one "Pump it out"?

Tim
You don't "Pump it out".......

The upper tank (we'll call that the "toilet") separates from the lower tank (we'll call that the "holding tank").

One just separates the 2 halves in the bathroom (put the toilet part in the tub) and carry the holding tank to a toilet or the dump station and pour out the contents.

If you are on a week long camp-out or have kids along, you could dump it as often as you want. For 2 people, it will last ~3-days. About the same as the current Thetford.

The big difference is that the holding tank valve closes securely after every flush. You don't have to smell the thing and it flushes with fresh water which is contained in the "toilet" part of the porta-potti. You don't have that recirculating muck every time that you flush the toilet. My wife really doesn't like that.

It also allows you to dump the holding tank before going home and possibly by-passing the dump station on the way out of the CG..........although the grey water tank will still have to be dumped but that's a much quicker process for us. I have one of those "Waste King" tank flushers that I use on the toilet. That's messy and takes a lot of time.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Ok, confusing, on the two reviews on amazon for it they were saying they received a model that had to be pumped out rather than emptied.

Tim