TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

markandanne - do you happen to have a picture of the underside of your tongue showing how that metal mesh is welded to the tongue? I am going to do something like yours.....

Thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #22
markandanne

Hi Dave,

I can probably take some pictures this weekend - the tongue is sitting in the garage but I need better light for photos. The only two comments I can think of are that if you look at the 2nd or 4th photos you will notice that there is a large C beam that boxes off the tongue that mates with the smaller C beam welded onto the main trailer frame. The expanded steel extends to this C beam and I presume it is welded to it too (I'll double check this).

Also, you will notice an angle bracket in the photos that is attached to the underside of the expanded steel maybe a foot inside the C beam. I can't recall how it's attached but I'll check this weekend. I'm sure the angle bracket is for support so that the middle of the tray doesn't sag.

Anyway, I'll let you know more this weekend and I'll try to take some useful photos.

Mark
Old 03-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
lnussbau

Here are pictures of the swing hitch installed on my 2720SL by The Car Show. Note the two bolts holding the flat face plates together.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #24
markandanne

Those are good pictures showing the construction of the hinge. Mine is set up the same way, including hinge pins on both ends and dual bolts in the middle of the beams. My upright tanks were moved onto the front swing hitch so that the swing hitch is further back, with the expanded steel welded to the bottom. But otherwise they look the same.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow or Sunday and post them.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

OK, I'm slowly getting in sync here. It looks like The Car Show does two different kinds of swing hitches. Mark and Anne have a Car Show mod on their 2720. The new cross-beam in their photo is much farther back on the frame than on the swing hitch that comes from the TM factory. The result is that with the hitch removed, the TM is shortened by about 3 feet or even more, rather 2 feet as in the factory swing hitch.

Larry Nussbaum has a Car Show swing hitch on his 2720SL. In this mod, the new cross member is forwards of the horizontal propane tanks. Aside from the addition of the two bolts, it looks very similar to the swing hitch provided by the factory. With the hitch swung or removed, the TM will be about 2 feet shorter than an unmodified TM.

My comment above - "The Car Show mod would not work on a 2720SL" - was referring to the first mod. I did not recognize that The Car Show performed two types of mods.

So if you are thinking about a swing-hitch retrofit and you don't have an SL model, it appears you have two choices.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #26
markandanne

Default CS Swing Hitch Mesh Photos

Hi Dave,

We took some pictures over the weekend, and I just got to uploading them. Here are a couple of (compressed) pictures which hopefully give you some ideas. Basically, the CS cut a triangular piece of expanded steel to fit the space, and welded it onto the swing hitch from below on the sides and from the side to the rear C beam. This appears to be spot welded about every 2 inches or so, maybe every other or 2 out of every 3 places the steel crossed the sides, and on every intersection of the rear to the C beam. The 6 inches or so of the front edge is unsupported. The center is supported with a welded on 1.5" angle bracket, and they used a short strip of steel the same thickness as the expanded steel as a spacer on the ends. Hopefully these pictures illustrate this.

My uncompressed photos are 1.9M each, but I may be able to strike a compromise if you want to see something larger (or I can email you the originals).

Let me know if there's anything else you want to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SwingHitchTopView.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	3370   Click image for larger version

Name:	SwingHitchJackBottom.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	3371   Click image for larger version

Name:	SwingHitchBeamBottom.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	3372   Click image for larger version

Name:	SwingHitchAngleBrace.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	3373  
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #27
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for posting the pics, Mark. Very helpful. I was going to have a welder /sheet metal guy do this, but he wants about $250 for parts and labor. About $40 of that is for extra material I don't need but he has to buy because his wholesaler won't sell him a half sheet of expanded metal. Granted, I know it would be a precision job, but since this is something that doesn't require such precision, I may just buy a piece of expanded metal for about $40 and somehow fasten it myself.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote