TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Oven Door Question

While going through my trailer a couple weeks ago tightening up all the screws, I noted that the door on my oven doesn't close all the way, the top edge of the door hits the 2 phillips head screws which keep the door open about 1/4". I cannot see a way to adjust this gap out, so I am assuming it has been like that since I got the trailer in 2002.

Does anyone else with the oven have the same gap?

Thanks in advance.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Scott O

I can't check ours since it is put away (good suggestion, I will!) , but could you solve the problem with flat head screws instead of the phillips screws that are there?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Just checked...There are no screws on the top of the edge of my Suburban oven, facing the door. The rubber seal on the door is what makes contact with the oven itself. The only screws that are around the oven opening are 2 black pan head phillips all the way down at the bottom, one on each side, and 2 silver flat heads a bit higher and further towards the edges. There are depressions on the door where it meets the 2 pan heads, and the flat heads are below the surface. The flat heads are driven into the wood to secure the oven, and pan heads keep some part of the oven together to itself.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

It has been a long time, so forgive me if I wander off track. I had a 2002 2720SL, and I seem to recall the situation you describe. If I recall, there were two black pan-head Phillips screws in the top edge of the door, and they tended to back out and catch on the door frame. The solution, again if I recall correctly, was to disassemble the oven door by removing those two screws and a couple (or more) others. Once the door was apart, I could see how to re-align the component parts and fix the problem. I don't recall that I had to lower the door on its hinges, but that might have been part of the solution.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Larry -

It has been a long time, so forgive me if I wander off track. I had a 2002 2720SL, and I seem to recall the situation you describe. If I recall, there were two black pan-head Phillips screws in the top edge of the door, and they tended to back out and catch on the door frame. The solution, again if I recall correctly, was to disassemble the oven door by removing those two screws and a couple (or more) others. Once the door was apart, I could see how to re-align the component parts and fix the problem. I don't recall that I had to lower the door on its hinges, but that might have been part of the solution.

Bill
Thanks Bill,

Yeah it sounds like you know the situation that I am dealing with. I will take the door apart and see if I can adjust it out. I will trry to remember to take some photos to document should anyone else need to know the solution at a later date.
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
Thanks Bill,

Yeah it sounds like you know the situation that I am dealing with. I will take the door apart and see if I can adjust it out. I will trry to remember to take some photos to document should anyone else need to know the solution at a later date.
OK I give, while camping this past weekend, I removed the screws that hold the door face on (the 2 in question and 2 at the bottom) All there is below are 2 springs at the hinges (not adjustable) that stretch to a plate at the to with channels for tightening the door spring tension, but that is all. I could not see anything that would allow the door to be adjusted downward.

Any other suggestions? I will try Ed at the factory as well.
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

A quick update on this, I sent a message to Suburban asking how to make the door adjustment and they were very quick to respond with the fix. If anyone else notices the same thing, here is what Suburban says to do:

"Thank you for the inquiry and your support of Suburban products. The door not closing all the way tightly at the top hitting the screws on the door indicates the door is not fully seated on to the door hinges that is not always down into place. Open the door fully down, place a nail or pin thru the hinge assembly when fully open, let it back up to the stop position and lift the door up and reset down onto the hinge, this should fix the problem. Then remove the pins and close. If assistance is required please contact your local qualified gas service center or log onto our web site www.rvcomfort.com for the nearest recommended service center. They may contact our factory service dept. ph 423-775-2131 for help if required. thanks Neal"

I will give this a try when I open the trailer up in a couple of weeks (if not sooner) and report on the success level I attain.
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Thank you for the inquiry and your support of Suburban products. The door not closing all the way tightly at the top hitting the screws on the door indicates the door is not fully seated on to the door hinges that is not always down into place. Open the door fully down, place a nail or pin thru the hinge assembly when fully open, let it back up to the stop position and lift the door up and reset down onto the hinge, this should fix the problem. Then remove the pins and close.
Is anyone but me having trouble with this? I had an old OLD Honda motorcycle, with the instruction manual translated from the original Japanese into English - and it made more sense than this.

CWB, please let us know if this works for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Is anyone but me having trouble with this? I had an old OLD Honda motrorcycle, with the instruction manual translated from the original Japanese into English - and it made more sense than this.

CWB, please let us know if this works for you.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I know what you mean, hopefuly it will make sense as I look at it. I will let eveyone know how it goes with photos of the process as well (assuming I can figure it out).

Larry
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default The fix worked!

Quote:
Hi Bill,

I know what you mean, hopefuly it will make sense as I look at it. I will let eveyone know how it goes with photos of the process as well (assuming I can figure it out).

Larry
OK, I finally got a chance to try the fix that Suburban sent along in order to get the door to close woithout hitting the controls panel. I didn't take any pictures like I promised because I wasn't aware it worked and I did much more than I needed to. In any case, I placed a nail through the hole on the lower hinge on both sides, closed the door until it stopped, and then lifted the door. (It came off of the oven all together), but I just placed back in and pulled the nails and the door closed just like was supposed to and sealed up againt the opening. It worked, how I am not sure, but it did the job.
2003 Chevy Tahoe