TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I would have liked to check out your charger, we bought one a few years ago, if it wasn't raining so hard I'd run out to the TM and look at it & the manual, but I think it said that it did have a desulfate(ing)? mode and sometimes it makes a lot of different fan/running noises when it charges so I'm not quite sure what's going on with it. I always use it to charge the big 12V battery from Costco and sometimes also use it to charge the Trojans.

It was a Schumacher, when it stops raining I'll find the model # and look at the manual again.

Maybe you could bring it to the rally in April? We'll bring our batteries!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
larsdennert

If you buy a single 12V battery, look for one with at least a 100ah rating. Then you'll have a fighting chance.

From what I hear, the Sears AGM batteries like the one you posted are the best non commercial AGM units on the market. Hard to believe considering Sears' track record on batteries. Optima has been sold off and the quality has gone down. Of course these are starting batteries. They can handle fast charge and discharges but are not deep cycle units.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Ok, so we got serious about the new batteries today. We decided to go with two of the 6 volt golf cart Trojans. We were having a really hard time finding a battery box that would work on the tongue of our 2619, with the depth (only 8 1/2") being the biggest problem. I finally found an old link here that headed me in the right direction. The company had a new name but here is the link for them and some pictures. http://www.batterysystems.net/locati....php?flash=usa The part number for the battery box is BX-GC2EE.

You have to look really closely but the pictures show the TM at varying degrees of being opened up. We were very careful with the measurements but when the TM was closed up it sure didn't look like it would clear. Anyway, it is all a perfect fit!

Yes, we know. We need to replace some of the wiring and yes, we know they aren't hooked up yet On that note, any suggestions about how we should leave them between now and February? Obviously, it is in our garage. It is not plugged in but could be. We have a good battery charger.

Thanks for all the great advice!
Malinda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0038.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	4082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0040.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	4083   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0039.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	4084   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0041.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	4085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0042.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	4086  

Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Your setup now looks exactly like ours...same batteries, same box. Do you have a link to the battery box? I looked through that site you posted but couldn't find a box like that. My cousin's husband sent mine to me from somewhere in Oregon, I don't know where he got it. Do you recall how much it was? Ours fits perfectly in the battery space and I was so pleased with it when we got it in the mail.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I know what you are saying. The webpage is not the best. I was kind of tossing my kite up in the wind when I called them. They had this battery box specifically fabricated. Not for TM, but for these specs. I would just call with the part number. I think it was $58, which seems to be a steal.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Battery charging selection

So, we've escaped the dark ages for a little while and have internet access. We lasted four whole nights without hookups and headed for Campingworld to buy an inverter. One problem solved, another created. Our two crummy solar panels can't keep up . . . We'll address that permanently once we get home. Our built in battery charger is about as great as I was warned it would be. We were going to use our 3 stage charger but (I can't believe I can't find this but I can't!) we don't know what setting to use for our Trojan T105 batteries. I went to Trojan's webpage and I can't even find it there. It's not on the batteries and we got no paperwork. Our options are wet, gel and AGM.

Thanks and greetings from beautiful southern California!

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
We were going to use our 3 stage charger but (I can't believe I can't find this but I can't!) we don't know what setting to use for our Trojan T105 batteries. I went to Trojan's webpage and I can't even find it there. It's not on the batteries and we got no paperwork. Our options are wet, gel and AGM.
Wet.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
So, we've escaped the dark ages for a little while and have internet access. We lasted four whole nights without hookups and headed for Campingworld to buy an inverter. One problem solved, another created. Our two crummy solar panels can't keep up . . . We'll address that permanently once we get home. Our built in battery charger is about as great as I was warned it would be. We were going to use our 3 stage charger but (I can't believe I can't find this but I can't!) we don't know what setting to use for our Trojan T105 batteries. I went to Trojan's webpage and I can't even find it there. It's not on the batteries and we got no paperwork. Our options are wet, gel and AGM.

Thanks and greetings from beautiful southern California!

Malinda
How many watts are your solar panels?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks Dave! No need to even talk about our current solar panels Wayne. We plan on copying you once we are home.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks Dave! No need to even talk about our current solar panels Wayne. We plan on copying you once we are home.

Malinda
There are a few things that I am going to change on my solar panel set-up.

For one thing, I only mounted mine to be removable because I live in an apt complex. When we move into our home (2013) I will mount the panels more permanently. The other thing is, I should have used flat 10/2 wire instead of round 10/2 wire.

I may also change the rigid bracket extenders to something more flexible. I'll go into it in more detail in the other thread.