TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Default skin separation

I have a bubble on the top center of the rear shell where the aluminum skin overlaps. You can push down the skin and tell it has separated from the styrofoam underneath. I think maybe take a syringe and inject some adhesive between skin and styrofoam and place a weight on top untill it cures. Any suggestions on what type of addhesive to use so as not to melt styrofoam?
jumpstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a couple similar separations on the outside of the front wall of the front shell, in the area around the front window. They total perhaps 2 square feet, and I too can push and flex the delam'd area.

I called the factory, and sent a couple photos. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the answer. It is on my Arizona computer, and I am in Maine, so I can't quote it, but in essense it said:

The aluminum has not delaminated from the foam. Instead, it may be a small delamination of the (strange word) layer which is bonded on the outside of the aluminum, and which provides the shiny, hard, easy-to-clean surface. The delamination is not a problem. We do not advise attempting to reglue.

The strange word was something like "kapton", though that was not it. It is the name of the manufacturer of rolls of a thin plastic sheet material - I looked it up on the web. If I think of it, I'll post it here.

I have to admit that the delam area does not seem to be growing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
BobRederick

Jumpstreet, Leon, Bill & all of us with delam,

I found my floor to be delaminating this summer. At first I noteced it wherever the sun shone in thru the open door one day. I am pretty sure that one day did it as it happened while I was loading. It started by the door, but a second time of leaving the door open and I find it near the refrigerator also, also in the path the sunlight would have hit.

In addition, I find delamination near the bathroom door.

I find this strange since the factory advertisements take pride in the polyurathane spray that they laminate with....

I will be contacting the factory and hopefully will have a good report later.