TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question Hard bed solutions????

Has anyone come up with what they would call an excellent solution to the rock hard bed that comes with the TM? We solved this problem once but have found ourselves back to the drawing board. I would appreciate feedback on my ideas or other remedies.

We have been using a 3”memory foam topper from Costco on top of the standard TM mattress. This makes for a comfortable bed but the topper must be removed to close down. Have been doing this for 4 years now and getting tired of the hassle it presents with setup and close-down.

We are considering a couple of options. We have queen inflatable mattress that is exceptionally comfortable but this would require blowing it up and deflation as I think it would be too thick to close the trailer on. This would be more acceptable than having to carry the topper to and from the couch but it is still another step.

Also under consideration is getting a 3” quality foam to replace the 4” foam that came with the TM and using the 3” memory foam on top of it. We are hoping this will give sufficient space to close down with sheets and maybe a light blanket. We contacted a foam seller and asked for advice and they thought their Lux Regular foam would work.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattre...html#HD36RFoam

I like this solution best if we can get a comfortable bed out of it and the trailer closes.

Are there any better solutions?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We inflate, and are looking into something firmer than foam to top.

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...dp/B007X09920/

The pump attaches to the port, battery or plug-in. I flip the mattress, so the port sits over the closed bathroom. When I set up, I pump the mattress before putting up the bathroom walls. The pump gets it 90% of the way firm without me needing to hold it, so I can work on something else for the few minutes it takes. At that point, I switch to another hand-held pump that has more force behind it, since I like the mattress as firm as possible. This set-up is as efficient as I can get it, without resorting to a different mattress.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

we had bought a combination topper at walmart about 4 yrs ago, one side has memory foam the other side has a nice regular foam it is about 3.5 inches thick and you can turn it over if you want the memory side, to me the memory foam side makes me hotter. so I put that side down towards the reg TM foam.

We used it in our popup and now in the TM No problems except you can not leave it on when closing down, we put it over the slide area seating

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
klpauba

I also went with an air bed. The Alps Mountaineering Air Bed with Rechargeable Pump, Queen was ordered through Walmart. It is handy as it has a twist-lock connection for the small pump (a cylinder about 2.5" diameter and 3" long) that makes inflating it to the desired firmness detectable by the sound of the pump. The pump also reverses to quickly deflate the mattress. We leave it under the foam mattress supplied with the TM and are able to close the shell as before.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

2 inch memory foam topper. It stays on with blankets and cover when we close the camper, but no pillows.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
Bowfreak

We thought about going with one of these.
Bowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

In this thread, post #7, I describe the inflatable-and-foam solution we use, with links.

Inflating when we arrive, and deflating when we leave is simple, and allows us a bed that is as comfortable as our home SelectComfort. I would not discount getting an air bed, and deflating, as that leaves you lots of room for foam topper and bedding.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

On the old style air beds they used to bounce all around and you could really tell when someone got up. How are they now in that aspect?

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
ArkyDoodle

My biggest concerns about air mattresses is the "leak factor". I imagine that newer air beds are a far cry from my old childhood memories but they MAAAAY someday develop a leak. And I will discover this while I'm out in the middle of no-where and have to complete my trip sleeping on a plywood shelf with a minimal foam topper?

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Craigrrr, not nearly as bouncy as the old beds. If you do a double-twin (two separate mattresses) like ours, you can each sleep on a different mattress (strapped together, so they don't separate), further isolating any movement.

Arky, yes, they may someday develop a leak (but they have two seals on the fill neck), but I may also have a heart attack. That does not keep me from enjoying life until then. If they get a leak in 10 or 20 years, I will have gotten my money's worth. Four seasons, and no leaking, even with week-long trips.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote