TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Body Damage (continued)

I just wanted to update y'all on what has been going on with our 2000 2619 that we bought 3rd hand in the spring of '06. Since purchasing our TM, we have spent over 100 camping nights in it including a roundtrip from Albuquerque, NM to Jasper, Alberta. It has been great and we love it.

Last November, while on a fishing trip, we stopped at a grocery store to pick up last minute provisions. I parked along side cars in the parking lot. As we were leaving, and I swear we had not moved out more than 2 or 3 feet, our TM hit the edge of a door that the driver had just opened. While we could not have been moving more than a couple of miles an hour and the only damage to the car was a dimple in the edge of the door, our TM suffered quite a bit of cosmetic damage which is evident in the photos that I will make every effort to include in this post. We contacted our insurance company immediately and were informed that the accident would be charged against us as we were the moving vehicle. After several months of researching, wrangling and negotiating, our insurance company has totaled our TM because the estimates to fix our damage have been in the $5,000 area. We paid $9,000 for the TM and will be receiving a check for $7,000 from the insurance company. We also will be keeping our TM with a salvage title. Our TM is currently in a very reputable RV repair facility that is going to fix our TM to our satisfaction for less than $2,000.

The lesson that I have learned is that it is very, very easy to do a great deal of damage to a TM and that I have to be more careful in the future, especially in parking lots.

Wild Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Damage - 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	3281   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Damage - 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	3282   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Damage - 3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	3283   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Damage -4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	3284  
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWG View Post
I just wanted to update y'all on what has been going on with our 2000 2619 that we bought 3rd hand in the spring of '06. Since purchasing our TM, we have spent over 100 camping nights in it including a roundtrip from Albuquerque, NM to Jasper, Alberta. It has been great and we love it.

Last November, while on a fishing trip, we stopped at a grocery store to pick up last minute provisions. I parked along side cars in the parking lot. As we were leaving, and I swear we had not moved out more than 2 or 3 feet, our TM hit the edge of a door that the driver had just opened. While we could not have been moving more than a couple of miles an hour and the only damage to the car was a dimple in the edge of the door, our TM suffered quite a bit of cosmetic damage which is evident in the photos that I will make every effort to include in this post. We contacted our insurance company immediately and were informed that the accident would be charged against us as we were the moving vehicle. After several months of researching, wrangling and negotiating, our insurance company has totaled our TM because the estimates to fix our damage have been in the $5,000 area. We paid $9,000 for the TM and will be receiving a check for $7,000 from the insurance company. We also will be keeping our TM with a salvage title. Our TM is currently in a very reputable RV repair facility that is going to fix our TM to our satisfaction for less than $2,000.

The lesson that I have learned is that it is very, very easy to do a great deal of damage to a TM and that I have to be more careful in the future, especially in parking lots.

Wild Bill

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad you can't find a totalled TM with a good rear shell.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Body Damage (cont.)

In over two years of camping in our TM, We have seen only one other one. They are scarce as hens' teeth out here.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
larsdennert

I think it could be fixed. It will never be perfect but a creative body guy could straighten it out and caulk the seams. I have a tendency to hit rocks and have had to push stuff straight on occasion. I'd say fix it!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Body Damage (cont.)

That's what we are doing, getting it fixed to our satisfaction.

I can see why you may get a few dings on your TM, particularly if you drag it down a lot of challenging 4 wheel drive tracks. We used to have an '87 FJ60 with Ironman suspension and BFG AT tires. Had to sell when it finally would not pass local emissions standards. I miss it, but not its 12 mpg.

Bill
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
larsdennert

Yea those 60's are nice but a 55 pig is a real guzzler. We had a 40 for a while and did no better.

That's why I opted for a 4Runner. Lot's of space, comfortable, reliable and tips on it's side just as easy. You're even better off as you get the same mileage I do but an extra 60hp.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Mileage

Lars:

Enjoying the 4 wheel chat. We pull our TM with a 2005 6 cylinder 4Runner. We get anywhere from 17 to 20 mpg while towing. I love the 'Runner. It's the first vehicle I have owned with an automatic "slush-bucket". I thought that I would miss the old straight stick, but I don't at all.
Bill
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Scott O

I new I was getting old when I turned in my 5 speed 300zx and traded for an automatic truck! It is 4 wheel drive though...
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
larsdennert

Well the thing is, for offroad an automatic just works better. A lot of friends have put in dual transfer cases or low (4 or 4.7 to 1) gear sets to allow them to crawl over serious obstacles with a stick. No problem with the automatic.

I wouldn't mind a stick in my daily driver but they don't offer it.

I thought I was happy getting 15mpg towing. Those new 4Runner models have a really good drivetrain and are built every bit Toyota quality. My dad bought an '05 V6. Only problem was that they are too low. A simple lift solved that.

We are going TM'ing / off roading to Calico with a bunch of Toyota folks last weekend of Feb if anyone would like to join.

...reminds me I need to make the Campland reservations...!