TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2002, 11:45 AM   #1

Default HAIL DAMAGE

We just had a major hailstorm here with 1 inch plus hail.  Needless to say our Trailmanor (Open of course!) suffered major damage to the roofs and minor damage to the sides.  Can anyone tell me whether this can be reskinned, or what the proper procedure is for repair?  The insurance will take care of it, and luckily there was no penetration of the skin, but it looks less than beautiful!
Old 04-01-2002, 03:28 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: HAIL DAMAGE

So sorry to hear about the damage to your TM.  :'(

I suggest you talk with your TM dealer about repairs.  If you don't have a dealer close by, call the factory to get the information.

If you have the trailer insured against hail damage, the factory recommendation would be the one I'd go with.  8)
Old 04-02-2002, 12:14 AM   #3
2swans

we're sorry, too, dennis. have always enjoyed reading your posts. we are new to TM, and don't have anything to contribute to your question--just, again, sorry!! :'(
p.s. we live in hail country--panhandle of texas--and we had this happpen to my husband's new cadillac :-/,so we do understand. let us know how TM's are repaired.  2swans
Old 04-02-2002, 01:23 AM   #4
hal

Just thought you should know..... Most Manorites that I know that have had considerable damage done to their TrailManor are at first in for a rude awakening.  Most insurance appraisers think that our "pop up" is just another tent trailer.  Many TrailManors have been declared a total loss and the owner offered the pittance one would receive for a tent trailer.  Many if not all appraisers have never seen or heard of a TrailManor and do their appraising from their desk.  It was necessary for our dealer in Colorado Springs (Thanks again Dave and Katie at the CARSHOW) to come to the aid of a recipient of a very small claims check.  Each time, the appraiser not only got an education but also greatly changed their decision in favor of the owner.  Don't allow your damages to be assessed based on a trailer that costs about one fourth to replace.

Hal >
Old 04-02-2002, 06:24 AM   #5
hal

ps  I failed to mention that the common thought for repairing the skin on a TrailManor was to cover the original with a sheet of aluminum.  I believe that this has been found to be impractical if not impossible.  Even though it is an aluminum covering, it is too heavy for the cantalever bars and for the person(s) lifting the shells.  Again, it is my understanding that this is the reason for so many TrailManors that were in a severe hail storm being "totaled".  To replace the original sides and roof would cost more than would be justified by insurance companies.
Hal
Old 04-02-2002, 08:47 PM   #6

It appears that you may be right.  Our TM is an older model (91) and was in great shape due to the many days and hours of work that my wife and I spent reupholstering and revamping.  We did the tire mods, built kitchen cabinets etc.  The fortunate part is that our Ins. co realizes the value and we should get a pretty decent check and we will be able to retain the camper.  The bad part is that it will officially be totaled, and will be too expensive to fix.  So, you will probably just see us, dimples in the top and all at rallys anyway.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:01 AM   #7
2swans

dennis, hope to see and meet you and your wife at an upcoming rally --what area are you from? glad to hear about the check.  2swans.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:29 AM   #8

We grew up in Illinois and Iowa (wife), but have lived in Fl. and for the last 12 or so years have lived in Ky. near Louisville.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:36 AM   #9

Dennis,
How do you start a hail storm?  
Doug
Old 04-03-2002, 10:42 AM   #10
2swans

;D ;D ;Dwow-thanks, doug-your posts that we replied to put us over over the top. i just noticed we are junior members, now. do we get a badge??!