TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2002, 06:38 AM   #1

Default Need Advice b/f Purchase of 2619

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first camper - a Trail Manor.  I looked at a 1998 2619 this past weekend that had a few problems.  Would like to get advice from members as to how to make repairs if I purchased the trailer.

Problem 1: Hail damage on roof.  Damage was noticable, but I don't think think would cause problems with opening or closing the unit or with water leaking into the cabin.  Can hail damage be repaired?

Problem 2: Scratch in the side.  About 18" scratch in side of the trailer which was not very deep (1/4&quot from brushing up against something.  Didn't break through the aluminum shell, just dented it.  Again, wondered if this could be repaired?

Problem 3:  Letters were peeling off.  How do you reattach letters to camper?  Is there some type of adhesive that works well?

The price on the camper seems quite good, so I don't mind spending some time on these problems if they are correctable.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
tipper

Default Re: Need Advice b/f Purchase of 2619

Your damage is cosmetic and hopefully your price is adjusted to reflectxc this.  Repairing this would be difficult and probably not worth the expense even if possible.  You can try to paint match the side scratch if this bothers you but it certainly won't rust.  The roof damage is visible only while the unit is down.

The Al skin is soft and thin.  Dents will happen with use.

Call the factory regarding the decals.  I'm surprised these are peeling.  
Old 09-22-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
Happytrails

Hail damage is typically repaired via a "roof-over". That is basically putting a new aluminum skin over the existing roof......very expensive and again, only really noticeable when the trailer is down. Mine has a deep gouge in the side of the rear clam shell where someone tried to break into it at one point in time and cut it fairly deep (did break the skin). I'm wondering if plain ol bondo and a paint match up will fix it.......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:35 AM   #4
dirtfan

Hi:  

Your experience seems similar to ours.  We traveled from Mo to Colorado to look at and purchase a used '96 2720 Trailmanor.  We had been told it had slight hail damage (very common in that locale..even the dealer's new ones on the lot had it).  We were somewhat disappointed and almost didn't take it but decided to buy it with some of the other little things corrected for a pretty decent price.  We even inquired about having it repaired/covered etc. and were told the hail damage repair places couldn't do it due to the aluminum and all the Trailmanor experts on this site advised not covering it because it would affect the weight and the torsion operation.

We have had it only a couple of months and are sure glad we bought it.  The hail damage doesn't bother us at all.  We also had a dinge in the side and the white part painted over nicely with some auto touch up paint.

Should you get it hope you have fun with it.

Dirtfan

Old 09-22-2002, 01:57 PM   #5
Gene

Quote:
Hail damage is typically repaired via a "roof-over". That is basically putting a new aluminum skin over the existing roof......very expensive and again, only really noticeable when the trailer is down. Mine has a deep gouge in the side of the rear clam shell where someone tried to break into it at one point in time and cut it fairly deep (did break the skin). I'm wondering if plain ol bondo and a paint match up will fix it.......

I have used UV Bondo to repair dents. Works well. I am trying to find a perfect match for the white paint. Home Depot and Mernards couldn't match it. Any advise?
Old 09-22-2002, 03:31 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
I have used UV Bondo to repair dents. Works well. I am trying to find a perfect match for the white paint. Home Depot and Mernards couldn't match it. Any advise?
Eugene (you genius; couldn't resist ),

A professional paint store should be able to custon mix the color for you if you can supply a sample. Sherwin Wms, or Pittsburgh Paint, or.........

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
oilspot

For paint matching, try an autobody shop.  My trailer has been repainted in sections and the color match is very good.  

Of course the paint won't stick to the crystal kote without some type of surface prep...  This might also be true for the bondo...
Old 09-23-2002, 09:10 AM   #8
tipper

If it were me<

I'd ask the factory for a snippet of the aluminum material and have it color scanned.  Of course the tint could have shifted a bit on yours or with TM's material supply but it's a cheap try.

Come to think of it the factory could probably help you here as they must do touch up rework in house.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:43 PM   #9
Happytrails

As far as matching paints, I would guess TM would know the paint number and brand. All you have to do is call them for that number, and go down to an auto supply paint store and ask for it. I wish I hadn't just closed up my TM or I could tell you a pretty spot on match for the interior......I don't know the exact number, but it's "heirloom white" by American Accents I believe, but the can's in the TM right now where I can't get to it. It's a bit lighter than the outside paint, but the inside walls and ceiling, it's perfect. It does however match the travel arms though on the outside. This can of paint happened to be sitting around the house when I bought it, and checked it out and it happened to match up.......after I ran out, I went down to my local hardware store and bought another can with the same number, "herloom white".....they had it in stock although my first can was years old and looked different!

Old 10-04-2002, 03:03 AM   #10
Bruce

Our TM got hammered by hail at the Black Hills National Rally in the summer of 2000. Our TM was almost new and at first I was dismayed by all the dents in the roof and the broken vent cover. Luckily we had full coverage at the time and my frown turned to a happy smile when I received a big check from the insurance co.
I replaced the vent with a nifty Fantastic Fan assembly and the dents don't bother me at all now. Why go to the bother and expense or repairing this purly cosmetic damage when it is likely that we experience hail again sometime in the future?

Bruce