TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
Axeman

Default Blowout/Tire Separation

On our way to Colorado last month for a 2 ½ week camping trip we experienced our first blowout. It wasn’t worst case scenario, but close. I-40 just west of Amarillo, semi traffic extremely heavy rolling by at 75 mph, temp in the mid-30s, raining and 25+ mph wind. We couldn’t make it to an exit and it was muddy, wet and miserable on the side of the road. If the blowout had been the street side, I would have considered it worst case. Fortunately, it was on the curbside.

I was aware that blowouts are fairly common on TTs and thought I was prepared. I check the pressure frequently. We were equipped with a TPMS, portable compressor/inflator, bottle jack, decent lug wrench, tarp, etc. and had done a dry run of retrieving the spare, jacking up the trailer, and removing the fender skirt. Unfortunately, I stopped short of actually removing the tire during the dry run. When we had the blowout, I found that 2 of the lug nuts were overtightened and couldn’t be removed. After an hour of effort, I contacted roadside assistance (which I should have done in the first place, but incorrectly thought I could handle it quicker). Another 90 minutes and they arrived and got the tire changed with the assistance of a pneumatic impact wrench.

The issue was caused by the center of the tread separating from the tire (1st photo). The tires were stock from the factory (GlobalTrax), about 2 years old. As you’d expect, the TPMS didn’t alert us until the tire failed as there wasn’t a significant loss of pressure prior to that. However, it did make us aware that the “noise” we heard was a serious tire issue and we needed to get off the road. Otherwise, we likely would have trashed the rim. The separated tread damaged the underside of the trailer immediately behind the tire (see the tread imbedded through the TM skin in 2nd photo), caused some damage to the side of the trailer (3rd photo), took out the fender skirt and trim on the bottom edge of the TM body.

Obviously, not a great start to our trip. Discount Tire in Amarillo only had one brand of the correct size (Hartland), which was not want I wanted, but calls to other shops didn’t turn up anything better. It was getting late, so we went with it so we could be on our way in the morning. It turned out to be a great trip with a really ugly start.

Current activities include:

Shopping for a new set of tires (leaning towards Maxxis, but possibly GY Endurance). Thinking of purchasing 2 and using the Hartland as the spare. Any opinions on that approach?

Preparing to install the new factory plumbing guard and fender skirt that arrived from TM over the weekend.

Considering whether to make a trip to the factory for repairs and some minor warranty work or trust the work to a new TM dealer much closer to home. Anyone have any experience with repairs at the factory?

Considering installing diamond plate on the underside of the TM directly behind the curbside tire after the skin is repaired.

Thanks,
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blow Out Tire.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	19582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blow Out Damage - TM Underside 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	19583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blow Out Damage - TM Side.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	19584  
Old 10-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
FlyboyTR

Axeman,

Sorry to hear about the incident and the damage caused. It is amazing how much force a piece of tire can have while spinning. Crazy stuff. I personally would have no issue in keeping the new tire for a spare. I know nothing about that brand...but am a big believer/user of the Goodyear Endurance.

I also run a TPMS on my trailer...scary to think about the tire coming apart with no advance warning of temp increase or pressure drop.

In the end...glad you got it worked out and enjoyed the rest of your trip!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I second the Goodyear Endurance. I think many of have switched over as we needed new tires.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Sorry to hear about your blowout. But if you go with Goodyear tires, go to www.goodyear.com to order them and use promo code VKR25. It will get you 25% off a set of 4 with mounting and balancing and free shipping to a local installer. I know your TM only has 3 tires including the spare but this gets you an extra spare tire at no additional cost in case you have another issue.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
Axeman

Thanks to all for the feedback, I appreciate it.

With regards to the factory plumbing guard, unfortunately I've found that it doesn't fit the plumbing configuration on our 2019 2720QD. We're scheduled to visit the factory next week to get the blowout damage repaired and some warranty work done. I've asked them to see if they have any ideas to get the guard to fit while we're there. If the blowout had been on the street side, the damage to the plumbing would have been significant.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Please be sure to post what you find. I am poised to buy one of the guards for my 2020 TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Please be sure to post what you find. I am poised to buy one of the guards for my 2020 TM.

Bill
I will do that. I'm thinking it would be best to post it in the "factory plumbing outlet protector cage" thread started by rickst29 rather than here in the Tire section.

Had Goodyear Endurance tires installed today at Discount Tire. I originally put a deposit on a set of Maxxis, which they had to have shipped from a store in Oklahoma. When they arrived, they had a date code of 0120. Not horrible, but older than I wanted. Based on the replies above and reading several other positive posts, I went with the GY's instead. Mid-August 2020 manufacture date. Thanks for the feedback! The salesman at DT said the Maxxis M8008 have been discontinued, which is why they're hard to find. Not sure if that's accurate since Maxxis is still marketing them on their website. But they are a bit difficult to locate.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman View Post
...The salesman at DT said the Maxxis M8008 have been discontinued, which is why they're hard to find. Not sure if that's accurate since Maxxis is still marketing them on their website. But they are a bit difficult to locate.
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...5&postcount=33
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
MrGallegos

Hello all,

I am new to TT ownership, (I purchased a used TM 2003 2720 with GY tires, but I do not know what specific style of tire model; I will pick it up on Saturday) and I would like to confirm that blowouts are primarily due to over psi and going faster than the manufactures recommendations?

If going at or below the recommended tire speed, would temps rise enough to increase psi to the blowout point?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tire failures seem to be overwhelmingly due to under-pressure. At low pressure, the tire flexes more as it rolls, and flexing causes heat, which causes failure.

On your 2003 TM, you most likely have 14-inch tires, probably something like ST205-75R14. The "ST" prefix means "Special Trailer", and ST tires are "rated" at 65 mph. I've never seen a real explanation of what "rated" means, or why ST tires are rated at 65 mph, even from the tire experts. Bottom line, though, you probably shouldn't exceed 65 or so for long periods.

These tires are adequate, but don't have a lot of load-bearing margin. So you need to be conscious of weight as you pack. A lot of folks have changed to 15-inch tires to increase the margin. The central important point is to air up your 14-inch tires to 50 psi before you drive in the morning (this is referred to as "cold inflation" pressure), and then don't change it. Pressure will increase as you drive, and that is accounted for in the tire design. Do not let air out of the tires! This will result in under-pressure, and failure.

As long as you air up to 50 psi cold, and not more, over-pressure is not a problem.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote