TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
jbeletti
Jim

Default Battery On/Off Switch Project - completed

Hi all,

Tonight, I added a surface mount battery on/off switch to my TrailManor's battery case lid.

So far so good. Hope the shell closes on Saturday! Here's details and pics: http://www.beletti.com/travel/trailmanor/battery.shtml

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re:Battery On/Off Switch Project - completed

That's a nice, clean looking installation. 8)

It is possible to perform the same function, i.e. disconnecting the batteries when you store it to keep from draining them, by letting your in-line fuse hang on the outside of the battery case and removing the fuse when you put the trailer into storage. :
Old 06-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
jbeletti
Jim

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments. In the off-season, I store the battery in my basement on a piece of wood on the floor. But during camping season, we store the trailer for 1 to 3 weeks at a time, between trips. It's at these times that I'll most use the switch. I really do want to get a different strap for the battery case. Mine is either being used wrong or is just terrible to try to tighten up after removing it, then replacing it. So I never look forward to taking the case off to do a hard disconnect. Now I don't have to. By the way - the trailer shell closes fine. Doesn't come anywhere near the battery case. After I installed the switch, I was a bit worried about the increased battery case height - but we're good to go!

Take care,

Jim
Old 06-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Hi jbleletti and Paul!

I've been doing this (taking out the main fuse) in order to keep the batteries from draining while parked.

It's kind of a hassle though, because the wire that attaches the fuse isn't long enough to reach outside the battery box (our straps are also short) and I worry about the wear and tear on that little plastic part that's not meant to be used that way. Plus, the fuse might fall out and then it would be somewhere we couldn't find it, plus oxidation of the exposed parts, etc.

This looks like such a hassle-free way of shutting off the battery. When we get our new battery box I'd like to put one in on the top of the box.

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
Larry_Loo

jbeletti, that's a nice looking switch. I disconnect the red wire from the + terminal of my battery whenever I store my trailer. My battery is an AGM type which has an extremely low voltage loss if it's not connected to all the little loads running in an idle TM. It's a little awkward to disconnect the wire as the battery is in the bottom of a cabinet in our 3124KS. I've considered installing Camping World's disconnect switch but have hesitated because it's an open knife switch. On searching Blue Sea's California distributors, only 1 of 3 with a website listed Blue Sea's disconnect switches (actually, I didn't bother with one of the websites because it required registration and a password, and, I avoid passwords as much as possible). The site I visited was San Diego Marine's and they sell the 9006 switch for $16.96. You mentioned on your website that the 9006 cost you $26. San Diego Marine's picture of the switch, however, doesn't resemble the 9006, but, its listed manufacturer and stock number are the same. Here's the url to the listing of their switch:

http://www.sandiegomarine.com/BSS-90...d/33/prod/1205

CW's open knife switch costs $19.95 I recall. Blue Sea's appears to be a much better switch and I certainly am going to get one. : :

Larry
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
jbeletti
Jim

Hi Larry,

While the specs weren't listed on SanDiego Marine's site for their 9006 switch, other than the knob, it looks like the same switch. Best of luck on your ionstall. It's an easy and fun project. I used the yellow sized ring terminals to connect to the switch by the way. I planned on buying pre-connectorized red batter cables with lugs, but the lug terminals with the required 3/8" hole were much bigger than what I wanted to use. Take care,

Jim
Old 06-27-2004, 09:58 PM   #7
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeletti
In the off-season, I store the battery in my basement on a piece of wood on the floor. But during camping season, we store the trailer for 1 to 3 weeks at a time, between trips.
Jim,
When our trailer goes into storage (35 miles from our home) during the winter, I too, remove the batteries and store them in the garage, along with the battery from my golf cart. I keep a charger attached to the trailer batteries, and turn it on about once a month to trickle charge them for about 24 hours. Then I move the charger to the golf cart battery and do the same thing.

During the "season" the trailer sits in our driveway and I keep the shore power attached, which keeps the batteries charged. I check the water every couple of weeks. We use our trailer as a spare bedroom (ours) when our house is full of guests, which happens 2-3 times between Memorial Day and Labor Day. So, water and power are connected 24-7.

The battery straps on our trailer are similar to what we had on our TM, so I know what you mean. However, since I only access them a couple times a month, I've gotten used to the "hassle.")

Again, nice job on the switch... you do nice work!

Paul
Old 06-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #8
camperboy

Great idea and a great install too. Only concern that I have is this: maybe it's obvious, but if you included the wire for the break-away feature of the TM's brakes make sure you turn that switch to the on position. Should the unthinkable occur while it was off you'd have no activation of the breaks when the pin pulls on the breakaway. Suppose it could even lead to liability concerns.

TM wedged into the driveway -
Camperboy
Old 07-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
jbeletti
Jim

Camperboy,

Yes, good point. So far (once), I have always remembered to turn it on. Also, we always have the refer loaded, refer fan on and switched to 12V before we shut down and take off, so I'll always make doubly sure to have the battery switch on. Especially helpful when parked for a couple hours during the trip. Wouldn't want to disharge the TV battery with the refer. Thanks again for the safety reminder.

I'll also suggest to Ed Felkers to add this to his checklist (TM battery switched on).

Jim
Old 08-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #10
Windbreaker

Default House switch?

OK, I'm showing the world how stupid I really am but why can't a normal household on/off light switch be used for this project? I ended up with two dead batteries and a blown inline fuse. Thought I'd just put a on/off switch on and the guy at the RV repair place (helper, not owner) said a house switch would work.