TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Trudy, I agree with your choice of systems. If I was going to buy one today I would probably choose that one too.

Maybe the wireless adaptor cable could extend with the power cable down to the taillight area and be placed in a small plastic bag behind the license plate, if it's not waterproof.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #22
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well I brought the 2720 home today and tomorrow will see about where to put the backup camera. I have a couple of license plate mounts so will start there. Major issue is the wireless BUC I already have on the Jeep, will need to see how to switch between the two.

Is essential to have something to see if something is behind particularly when backing.

But first I need to figure out how to turn around in back yard without power. Do have a dual wheel manual but am not sure am strong enough to move it on grass.
Padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
tarudy

Hey Tim,

So, if I mount the camera on the top of the left side of the rear shell to get the bird's eye view, then I could run the power cable and the wireless transmitter cable down to the license plate area, but I am wondering if having the transmitter on the backside of the TM will make it harder for the signal to get up to the receiver in the front of the TV?

I wish I was an electrician rather than a nurse...

Thanks for your thoughts,
Trudy
Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #24
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hey Trudy, you'll have to experiment a little bit with the unit when you get it. See what the range of the signal is and how far away the sending unit can be from the receiver on the screen. Another possibility would be to put the sending unit inside of the A/C unit's shroud.

I have also seen signal boosters on certain units that could enhance the range, but chances are you'll make it work as is.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #25
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I plan to go to Lake Louise next weekend so will get wireless license plate camera up RSN (maybe this weekend. Have all the pieces, just need a round tuit.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #26
Dave99gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarudy View Post
Dave99gst,

Thank you for your information. I like your system the best so far and I'm on the verge of ordering it. I was wondering if the wireless adaptor has to be protected from the rain. I don't see it in your picture, is it hidden in the bumper? I was planning to mount the camera on the TM rear roof because some have said that at night the headlights of cars behind you will blind the camera...so I am not sure of a good way to protect the wireless transmitter from the road abuse and elements up there, or how to secure it so it doesn't flop around. Do you have any thoughts?

Thank you,
Trudy
Sorry for the slow reply -- I dont think im gettin email notifications.

I have the Wireless adapter Zip tied to the jack on the front of the TM.
You want the wireless distance to be a short as possible. I don't have it protected at all from the elements and its been fine for a few years now.
My camera gets its power from the tail lights, I have a 20foot RCA cable running underneath that plugs into the wireless transmitter.
The transmitter gets its power from the tail light circuit also except im tapped in @ the 8pin plug. ( i forget exactly how I did it but I think i ran a wires from under my sink. Thats were all the wires terminate )

I would have preferred it to be mounted to on the top of the roof but I didn't want to see wires and I didnt want to have to worry about sealing the holes I put in.
It would for sure be more functional up there as the headlights to blind the camera and make it pretty much useless.

On another note:

The Night Vision lights on the camera really do work. It will literally aid you to see enough in total darkness to back into a spot in the middle of the night.
Its supriseing how much those LED's do
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
tarudy

Daveggst,

So do you have your camera mounted somewhere on the stern of the TM and have a length of wire that's approx 25' from the camera to the transmitter which you then zip tied to the tongue jack? If so, where did you run the wire, under the TM? I get your point about having the transmitter as close to the TV and therefore the receiver as possible...That makes sense....

Thanks,
Trudy
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #28
tarudy

Talking

Ooops, I spelled your name wrong, sorry.
Trudy
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
tarudy

Dave99gst,

OK, I got your name right this time and I also took care to read your post completely this time and now I see what you said about the 20' RCA cable running under the TM. If I buy the set up you have then I think I will make a big effort to mount it on the roof so I get the best benefit out of it at night. That's when driving is most dangerous for me when I have to do lane changes at highway speeds and I'm having trouble telling what's behind and beside me.

I just had to run a whole new wire from my right tail light to the bundle under the refridgerator panel because the brown wire to the right tail light had an active short in it. I tunneled down through the foam under the tail light, and then ran the wire inside the external trim piece that runs along bottom edges of the aft shell. So I know that I can hide the wire in most but not all areas.

I'll need an RCA cable longer than 20', do you remember where you got yours?

I want to get the power for the camera from a source that will be on whenever the running lights are on, not just backing up, so that I can have good situational awareness all the time..

Thanks,
Trudy
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #30
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I'm planning a license plate camera with a wireless component. Can pull power from the taillight but need to build a waterproof enclosure to go behind the license plate for the wireless piece. May need to do some experimenting and see how badly the aluminum skin attenuates the signal. Thinking this set with this display.