TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I have owned my rig for over a year now and love it, but yes there are some areas where the workmanship could be better. Every time I look under the kitchen sink, I just have to shake my head. Honestly more thought should be put in the way those wires are run. i love that the wires are color coded; much easier for trouble shooting a problem; but some areas look like thrown spaghetti.
I looked at the Aliners and considered buying one, until I rented one. Way too small and cramped. They are well made, but I love the TM. It has the space, comfort, ease of towing and amenities I was ready to step up to.
My Trailmanor is well made and I do not regret in buying it.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
pjnlorrie

Thank you all for the replies. Again, my apologies for coming on too strong. I let my disappointment come through. After studying the company history and the write ups about continuing improvements I was expecting better, however, I would like to believe, as Lovetocamp does, that the 2417 I saw was an anomoly. I'll continue to look-

Happy camping all!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
pjnlorrie

I agree with your assessment of the Aliners Kidkraz-they are OK for two people if you are just sleeping in it, and the size works in your favor for tight campgrounds. I fear Columbia Northwest (manufacturer of the Aliner series) is pricing themselves out of the market. Our local dealer dropped them a few years back. Like the TMs, the value added aspects of the design are worth a lot, but at a certain point it can become unrealistic. *New 2014 Classic - $21,000!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Sterman
Site Sponsor

The Trailmanor is a compact and unique RV.
I think that it's a pretty fragile, though, with its lightweight foam-backed construction. It is pretty easily damaged if you are not careful or force something. It doesn't take much to chip a counter edge or pit a wall or ceiling.
It does have a lot of nice, comfortable features and I love that I can store mine in the garage.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Just watched a of the manufacturing process. Yes, there is wood in the TM, but no particle board.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
lilysvalley

i am a new owner, but i researched and spent alot of time comparing all of the different choices in this class of rv. trailmanor is hands down the best in class. i have inspected mine in the past couple of weeks from top to bottom and for it's age it is in great shape. i am planning my first trip to the west coast in two weeks and looking forward to two weeks of camping in some better weather. we have slept and camped in our backyard now for four nights and are ready for the road trip. i would not hesitate on recommending a tm to anybody. they are well built and awesome,

B lily
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
moaboy

Glad that you have modified your thoughts from your initial email. As someone who has been around RV's for over 50 years- my parents were RV addicts having owned (and early on built their own motor homes from school buses) over 25 different ones over the years and having attended a number of the country's biggest RV shows, like the one in Hershey, PA, I believe I have a decent sense of the build quality of what is out there vs a TM. Based on my experience I think TM's are solid RV's. Not sure if you uncovered a lemon or what, but in its class TM meets or exceeds other manufactures. I have had very few problems with my 2009.5 2720 since I bought it new nearly 5 years ago. Obviously we are all somewhat biased or we would not have bought TM's in the first place, but I'd like to think we did so based on some semblance of an objective consideration of desirable features and quality.
Good luck with your search.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
MisterP

Some years ago I read an article (that I can't find now) that spoke about the misconception that RVs are built in automated factories like automobiles. The author stated that people who had never owned a RV often claimed that all the units should have nearly identical fit and finish.

His purpose to the article was to show that despite all the technology that may go into a RV, the units are still handmade, and subject to the quality of the builders. For many manufacturers, the units are built by teams, and the quality depends on the skill of a team.

There is no way to automate RV construction. All manufacturers build with an expected completion time or duration. Excessive rework for perfection might be normal for a million dollar unit. It won't keep a bullder of forty thousand dollar units in business.

I sold a fifth wheel toy hauler after three years because of a lack of confidence in it due to shoddy workmanship. It cost a lot more than our TM (which is our second). What was wrong with that trailer would fill a page. And this from a major manufacturer of several different types of RVs. Spending more won't necessarily get you a better vehicle.

These are my opinions, and to some degree the opinions of the article I read. I have never spoken with the manufacturers about their quality standards and percentage of rework allowed. I suspect they try to be consistent, and deal with the exceptions as they come.