TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
StoneyLonesome

Default Jeep and aftermarket wiring - Warning

Our plans for picking up our 2004 2619 today came to a screeching halt yesterday afternoon.

We had a hitch and basic wiring installed on our 2007 Jeep Commander at a local 4WDHardware store, and yesterday a camper dealer installed our Tekonsha Prodigy 2.

Unfortunately, neither we nor the camper place had any idea the Jeep computer would not recognize the non-OEM install. Aggravating!

Our dealership appointment is Wednesday, and they couldn't tell me for sure the aftermarket wiring will be activated by their scan. We've rescheduled to pick up the TM on Easter Saturday.

Anyone looking to diy their Jeep wiring in any way might want to think twice. This post on a Jeep forum illustrates our situation:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...93&postcount=9

Jim and Sheri
Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Strange, I had no problem adding brake controllers to our 2005 Grande Cherokee and 2008 Dodge. Both had the factory tow package. The Cherokee was a little harder because the wire going to the TM brakes was behind the driver side kick pad.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyLonesome View Post
Unfortunately, neither we nor the camper place had any idea the Jeep computer would not recognize the non-OEM install. Aggravating!
The prodigy needs 2 things from the tow vehicle: 1) a power supply and 2) a wire that taps into the brake pedal switch that triggers the brake lights. The brake controller also needs a wire back to the trailer wiring connector for the brakes, and an install often requires a separate wire for 12v power to charge the trailer battery.

So I'm not sure why either the trailer or the Prodigy would want to talk to the Jeep computer.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

As Mr Adventure mentions no problems with Jeep. I have the same type of hookup with the PD3, and have not experienced any problems with my PD3 in my 2002 Liberty. Same wiring requirements as the PD2.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
rumbleweed

You need three connections that have nothing to do with the computer. One senses brakes applied by sensing the brake lights being turned on. One provides 12V for the unit from the battery or 12V rail . The other goes to the wiring harness for the Bargman connector to activate the brakes on the trailer. Not sure what the computer has to do with the operation.

Bob
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim -

I guess I'm with the other guys. I have no idea why the Jeep computer would/could/should know about the Prodigy brake controller, any more than it knows about the bag of groceries you just put in the back seat. They are just not related. Can you tell us what problem you encountered that makes you think something is not right, or that the computer is unhappy?

It is possible that as an option, a new Jeep might be ordered with an integrated brake controller - many vehicles have them these days. And if the brake controller is built in, then the computer may be able to run some minimal diagnostics on it. But if it is an aftermarket brake controller, as yours is, the computer doesn't know about it, and can't test it, and isn't expected to.

Think of it this way. If your vehicle is like mine, its computer can test all the light bulbs on the vehicle - brake lights, headlights, turn signal lights, running lights, backup lights - and tell you if one of the bulbs is burned out. That's a good thing. But if you go out to the garage in the dark of the night and connect up some aftermarket fog lights, the computer doesn't know that they are there, and even if it did, it has no way to test those lights. And furthermore, there is no way to "teach" the computer that the fog lights are there, or instruct it on how to test them. Same with the Prodigy.

You posted that
"Our dealership ... couldn't tell me for sure the aftermarket wiring will be activated by their scan."
Since the aftermarket wiring cannot be "activated" in any sense, I think your dealer is jerking you around.

The post you referenced talks about something called the StarScan diagnostic tool. Though I'm not familiar with it, it sounds like a simple OBD code reader. Am I missing something?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
StoneyLonesome

Hi all-

As I understand it, all of the wiring and the Prodigy install are fine -

Upon completing the job and seeing things weren't lighting up, the camper place called Chrysler/Jeep, and learned it can only be activated/enabled by the dealership with their proprietary Starscan reader.

It may be the scan is also needed to adjust settings in the computer to allow for more efficient towing, not sure. We did get the build sheet, btw - no heavy duty cooling installed, so we may as well have them put that in on Wednesday!

We'll get there..
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyLonesome View Post
All of the wiring and the Prodigy install are fine - Upon completing the job and seeing things weren't lighting up ... We'll get there.
I don't know what is meant by "lighting up" - was your dealer any more specific?

Sounds like you've got a good attitude about the whole thing, though. I'll be interested to know what happens, what your dealer says and does, and what he charges you to "activate" whatever it is. Since the Prdigy is in no way connected to the computer, I am anxious to learn just what is "activated".

Bill
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I wonder if lighting up means no power, The Dodge needed a fuse is all. All the wiring was on a single connector. I had to run a power lead for the Cherokee. Any way it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Well that is certainly possible, though I'd be surprised if the camper dealer who installed the Prodigy didn't at least turn on the ignition key and see if the Prodigy's panel comes on. I think the first thing I would do is see if the panel comes on, and if not, take it back to the Prodigy installer. The dealer can play with the computer all day, but if there is no fuse in the power lead to the Prodigy, nothing will happen, and the Prodigy installer should have seen that.

I'm wondering if "didn't light up" might also mean that the panel on the Proidigy turns on, but no power is delivered to the brake pin in the new connector next to the hitch. You mentioned that the hitch and basic wiring were installed by a different shop. First off, I'm assuming that you ended up with a 7-pin connector back by the hitch, and not a little 4-pin or 5-pin connector. The TM requires a 7-pin connector with all pins connected. To install this connector, three new wires had to be run up to the front of the vehicle. There is no adapter or quick solution that will let a 4-pin connector magically become a 7-pin connector - there is work involved.

Your Jeep has a fuse box located under the dashboard, above the brake pedal and the driver's left ankle. Most likely a little plastic cover over if that swings down. Kind of a pain to get into, since you end up half-lying on the floor. There may be another box under the hood, and this is the more likely location for the fuse in question. Thankfully, this one is easy to get at.

Good luck. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Bill

Tags
jeep wiring