TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
rbdbdd

Question Buying new suv - Traverse vs Explorer

We are in the market for a new suv to tow our 3124kb. Think we have narrowed it down to either a Chevy Traverse or the Ford Explore. Both say they will pull 5000 just want to make sure before we buy one of them. Would like some input from someone who tows with one of these.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I have owned several Big three made tow vehicles most recently being a Ford Windstar and GMC Jimmy. I was pulling a large Coleman pop up with these vehicles and in both cases felt like the tow capacity was "overstated" by the manufacture. In the case of the Jimmy it had a 5000 pound capacity due to the gear ratio of the rear axle. In my opinion the truck could only do 3500 pounds and anything over that was stressing the truck.

I then went with a Nissan Pathfinder with 6000 pound capacity and that vehicle seems to be able to pull my 4250 pound TrailManor with ease.

It is not so much the towing capacity as it is the tongue weight and the ability to stop. Plus if you have hills that also comes into play.

My suggestion is to go with something on a truck frame and has towing capacity of 5500 or 6000 pounds or even more. This forum has tons of opinions on this subject and most of the variability comes from the different weights of the units, the location of the country and lots of personal preference in the mix.

Just my opinion.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
irenepl

Completely agree with Brittany Dogs. I did the same thing, I was towing a tent trailer with a Grand Cherokee with the 6 cylinder, tow rating of 5000lbs. Was not bad but when the mountain passes came up I could only manage ~40mph on the steepest of grades. Moved up to the Grand Cherokee with the 8 cylinder (4.7L HO) with a tow rating of 6500lbs. Now I can accelerate up any hill if I need to and towing a 4000-4500lb trailer is a breeze.
Good luck with your search
Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What both responses are saying is "WHERE WILL YOU TOW?" Until you have answered that question, no one can give you an answer.

If you are headed up a steep grade at 10,000 feet, the answer will be different than if you are staying in the flatlands of the midwest or Florida. And of course if you are coming down the other side of that same grade from 10,000 feet, once again the answer will be different.

It would be nice if there were one universal answer. But sadly, it doesn't work that way. So tell us more ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
rbdbdd

Default Buying new suv

Thanks for the info. It has been helpful. Most of our camping is done on flat land not much hill climbing. My wife likes the Traverse so we are getting one. Most of our mountain campinng has been done in the Smokies. Our last trip out we used my pickup and really could not tell the TM was behind us. So for most trips we will pull with the Traverse unless it struggels, then for other trips we will use my pickup. I like the pickup best anyway. Thanks again for your insights and thoughts to consider.
Ron
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The Traverse sounds like a good choice for your needs, assuming it is equipped from the factory to have that 5200 pound rating. When you buy it, be sure that you get the factory-installed towing option. It is this equipment that gets it up to 5200 pounds rated - without it, it is not clear what the rating is, but you can be sure that it is substantially less. Maybe 2000 or 2500? Trying to add the towing equipment as aftermarket items, even dealer-installed, is never a good idea.

And of course you still have to pay attention to what you pack in the Traverse and the TM when you hit the road. It wouldn't be hard to bump right up against that rating.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
vang2720

Interesting question--I just went through this myself. I had a 2004 Sequoia (4.7L v8) rated at 6200lbs. I bought a new 2011 trailmanor 2720 because I thought I could tow it well with my 04 Sequoia. Well....here is what I discovered:

1. I live in Colorado so the elevation is a problem. I had no passing power. It got even worse with the AC on.

2. I was driving in 3rd gear most of the time -- getting 10-12 MPG

At the end, I ended up with a new Sequoia with the 5.7 liter V8. I know this might be overkill for my 2720, but it tows very well and I get better gas mileage. I just completed a 1000 mile trip with it and averaged 14 MPG.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
moaboy

I would not knock all after market products. I had the Honda garage install a Honda transmission cooler on my used Odyssey and it has worked very well. I do agree with the point I'd rather have "factory installed" if given the choice, but some times that is not the situation.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vang2720 View Post
1. I live in Colorado so the elevation is a problem. I had no passing power. It got even worse with the AC on.
Good point that many overlook. Running at higher elevations not only apply the physical stress of climbing (tranny) AND then declining (tranny&brakes), but you must remember for every 1000ft of elevation, you loose approximately 4% of your horsepower due to lack of oxygen in the air.

If you're running a marginal tv already, altitude can strip what little safety margin you had away in a few miles of climbing.

Having extra horsepower or some type of forced induction is a big plus in these terrains.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
PopBeavers

I once saw a small class C motor home have to back down from the summit of highway 108 He got to within a few hundred yards but could not make it all the way.

Elevation at the summit is 9,628 feet.

Backing a motor home down a twisting two lane round is not something I would want to do often.

Backing down a trailer would be even more difficult.

At 6,200 feet there is a sing that says not advisable to tow trailers beyond that point. This is also where the road gets narrower and they don't waste pint on the center of the road.

One of these days I intend to tow my TM over it. I m certain that I have adequate power to make it.