TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Well, it's dicey purchasing new that far away. Giving them a deposit without knowing for sure what they would offer for trade-in didn't seem like the best idea so we took a little drive to Nebraska under a red flag warning . . . Yikes. Anyway, Gene picks it up tomorrow. Happily I am needed elsewhere :-) The shell, with a rack for our new kayak is ordered. I'll admit that we are normally impulse buyers but have really done the opposite with this purchase. We'll be glad when it's done and my vote is that impulse is much more fun!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Love that man of mine! He went to NE while I was helping with training at the park today. Oh yeah . . . Can't wait for that shell with our new kayak on top of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280[1].JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	7136  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
Love that man of mine! He went to NE while I was helping with training at the park today.
Mighty nice, Malinda. I have coveted a Tundra ever since our friends in Surprise, Az (also TM owners) showed up with one on a group camping trip. What a nice vehicle!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #24
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Mighty nice, Malinda. I have coveted a Tundra ever since our friends in Surprise, Az (also TM owners) showed up with one on a group camping trip. What a nice vehicle!

Bill
Thanks Bill We've been wanting to do this for a long time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
Thanks Bill We've been wanting to do this for a long time.
I have the 4.6 in my GX and it is a great engine. On flat land I can get almost 17 mpg (5300 lbs truck and 2720SL).

Koz
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #26
girlbugspoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Not sure about Toyota, but there may be a difference in ride quality between a 4x4 and 4x2. I noticed a big diff going to our 4x2. It's a softer, smoother ride and great when not towing, but when towing it may be a bit too soft. A trade-off to be sure.

Or it could just be the P-rated tires in the new truck. I'll be getting stiffer LT-rated tires eventually, and we'll see.
How is the eco-boost engine doing for you? We've been very interested (especially with the gas gouging-er price increases) in this engine that Ford has added.
'05 Ford F-150 Supercab
5.4 Ltr.
Prodigy Brake Controller
:cool: :cool:
girlbugspoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbugspoppa View Post
How is the eco-boost engine doing for you? We've been very interested (especially with the gas gouging-er price increases) in this engine that Ford has added.
So far, we love it.

Just returned from Florida, and we got about the same overall mileage as our earlier Tacoma 4L V6 4x4 (~12 mpgUS). You folks with the fold-down Trailmanors would do much better. I would guess around ~16 mpgUS ?

And it has so much more low-end torque than the Tacoma. Stays in 6th gear most of the time (3.73 rear end) and is exceptionally quiet. But if you draw on the power reserves, go and accelerate faster, the mileage does get worse.

If it's primarily mileage you're concerned about, there should be other vehicles out there that can do better. But unless they're diesel, they would lack the low-end torque, payload and tow capacities of this one.

More info in this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12351
Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
How is that EcoBoost engine doing for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz
So far, we love it. Just returned from Florida ...
Brulaz -

Ontario to Florida and back is a nice trip, doesn't involve any altitude. It is performance at high altitude that I am interested in, since we are planning to hit I-70 and the Eisenhower Tunnel again (steep upgrade at 11,000 feet) within the next month. As you know, the thin air at high altitude starves an engine, greatly reducing power and torque, because there is so much less air in each "gulp". I am hoping that the bi-turbo will cram enough air into the engine that it thinks it is operating at sea level. For some reason, Ford doesn't talk about this, and I guess the engine is new enough that there isn't much consumer experience.

If you, or anyone, have any experience with the Eco-Boost engine at high altitude, I would really like to hear it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #29
Pitbull

A normally aspirated engine will lose 3% HP for every 1000 feet of altitude. A forced induction engine (turbo or supercharged engine) will lose much less power (if any).

Koz
Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Brulaz -

Ontario to Florida and back is a nice trip, doesn't involve any altitude. It is performance at high altitude that I am interested in, since we are planning to hit I-70 and the Eisenhower Tunnel again (steep upgrade at 11,000 feet) within the next month. As you know, the thin air at high altitude starves an engine, greatly reducing power and torque, because there is so much less air in each "gulp". I am hoping that the bi-turbo will cram enough air into the engine that it thinks it is operating at sea level. For some reason, Ford doesn't talk about this, and I guess the engine is new enough that there isn't much consumer experience.

If you, or anyone, have any experience with the Eco-Boost engine at high altitude, I would really like to hear it.

Bill
Well, we did cross the Appalachians from TN to NC.

I have heard anecdotes that it works well from folks in Colorado on the F150 forums. F150's are the largest selling vehicle in North America, so there's gotta be a lot of them in the Rockies.

(Editted Below: changed Expedition to Explorer)
A similar (same?) engine is coming out in the 2013 Explorer. But they're marketing it as a "sportier" engine, not a tow/hauler. I wonder if it comes with 6spd Tow/haul tranny? Though I think you don't care for the new Unibody Explorer anyway ... ?