TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2003, 10:51 AM   #1
Dexter_Burns

Default Toliet Gauge

I took a trip last week, and I'm having problems with the toliet. The gauge has had some condensation in it, (what are some of the causes?) and after a period of time, the gauge would not move. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-05-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Toliet Gauge

This is just a guess, and I welcome more informed opinions. I have not been inside the level indicator (Thetford's name for the gauge). You might check the Thetford web site (you have an Electra Magic Model 80) for pictures.

The gauge is mechanical. It operates via a float, which moves straight up and down on a flat shaft. The shaft has a twist in it, so as the float rises, the shaft twists, and the pointer moves.

If the gauge doesn't respond, it probably means that the float has bound up on a hunk of TP or whatever. I would recommend (again, without any specific knowledge) that you fill the toilet maybe 3/4 full with plain water, and then agitate it. How to agitate it? Go drive on a rough road for a couple miles. Come home, drain the tank, see if the float responds. If not, refill it to 3/4, throw in half a gallon of bleach and do it again. Be sure to drain and rinse soon after using the bleach.

If it still doesn't repond, you probably need to take out the gauge and find out why. Again, the Thetford web site gives detailed instructions. If you need a new float, they will sell you one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Happytrails

Do NOT put bleach in your thetford, it WILL break down the seals in it.........It's all over their site about it....will void any warrenty's etc....etc......Sorry Bill....just had to say it....

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 09-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Default Re:Toilet Gauge

Thanks for the cross-check, Happy, it is always a good idea. In this case, I can't find anything re bleach on the Thetford site. Can you point me? What I do find is Thetford's recommendation that you use Thetford's holding-tank deodorants, and not try to homebrew your own. OK, fine, that's not what we're talking about.

And for cleaning, I find "Do not use a highly-concentrated or high-acid content household cleaner, nor those containing abrasives, such as a scouring powder. They may damage the seals or plastic parts of the toilet, along with the seals on your dump valves."

I don't know if half a gallon of bleach in 4 1/2 gallons of water counts as "concentrated", but I guess it might. Draining and rinsing it out quickly, as I suggested, ought to at least partially mitigate any problem.

But in the end, the best answer is probably to pull the float mechanism and examine it. That way there is no question. The Thetford site says that it simply pushes/snaps into place, so it ought to be easy to remove. Thetford also says that when installing the float assembly, it is easy to bend the side rails, which will cause erratic operation. Perhaps they were bent during installation - if so, you might be able to straighten them.

Thanks again for the observation.

Bill
Old 09-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
Happytrails

Heck, I don't know, it's been some time ago, but did remember, and stuck in my mind you should NEVER use bleach in the recirculating toilet.......maybe not the other ones, but I remember somewhere reading that it was REALLY bad to use it in the recirculating ones because it breaks down the seals, and have STRONGLY avoided it since..........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 09-08-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Default Re:Toilet Gauge

You're probably right, Happy. Bleach is pretty strong stuff, even when diluted well and washed out promptly. (Wanna see the blue jeans I am wearing now?) It is probably better to view it as a solution of last resort, when the potential damage is balanced by fact that the only alternative is an expensive part replacement. I certainly have no problem with that philosophy.

Thanks again for the cross-check - it is one of the strengths of this board.

Bill
Old 09-10-2003, 08:25 AM   #7
Dexter_Burns

Thank you both for your responses, I will try your suggestions, and let you know how it works out.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:46 AM   #8
smookie

I would not use bleach ever in the toilet.
Whatever the chemicals are in the Thetford blue deodorant might create dangerous fumes when combined with bleach, even after rinsing. You couldn't be sure that you got every bit of it rinsed out.

With recirculating toilets, we found that if we follow the directions "to the letter", we always have good luck with them.

One thing that does help any gray water odors in the sink is "Odoban" liquid found in Sam's Club. It is quite pleasant smelling and rather cheap.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Russ-Bett

I had a similar situation where my gauge seemed to hang up. I simply hit my hand on the side of the toilet near the gauge and it began working correctly again. My guess is that the tank had been dry for a few weeks and may some material had hung up on the gauage shaft. Seems to be working all right at this time.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #10
Bruce

The guage in our toilet guit working after the first use and has never worked for more than a day since.
I have taken the guage out numerous times, cleaned and lubed the spiral shaft and it still refuses to work!
Now we just add water until the recirculating pump begins to pump and stop using the toilet when the liquid comes up in the bowl.

Bruce