TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
A 2006 Vue with V6 is rated at 3500 lbs.
A loaded 3124KB should easily be over 4000 lbs based on those who have actually weighed their tms.
My 2720 is around 4,100 pounds, but I take a lot of stuff.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default 2006 Saturn Vue

I don't know any more about the 2006 Vue than anybody else here, which doesn't appear to be very much. A couple quick searches says that the 6cyl engine has 250hp, and the 5 speed automatic is a great idea. You can get a hitch receiver that will support a 4000# trailer with a weight distributing hitch.

Tow ratings are guidelines, not limits. Some are figured more generously than others. I was not able to get the Gross Axle Weight Ratings or the Gross Combined Weight Ratings, which are probably on the driver side door post or in the owner's manual. 250HP should be enough to go anywhere the Interstate does. Those who have off road plans and higher objectives need more tow vehicle.

Many vehicle manufacturers tell you to subtract the tow vehicle payload from the tow rating, and then you hook what's left over on the hitch ball. I'd be real curious about what it says in the owners' manual about all these things. I couldn't find any reference in this forum to an owner who tows a TrailManor with a Saturn Vue, and owner experience is always my first choice for information (before I started any serious towing with my Toyota Highlander, I was able to correspond with an owner who had towed his TrailManor to Alaska and back with one, for example). Because there's no owner experience available, you'd be finding out first hand about things like transmission durability, and you won't want to be learning transmission lessons out in the desert somewhere.

I think you'll find that trailer to be extremely difficult to keep under 4000# on the scale, and I think I'd probably want a bigger tow vehicle if I lived out your way (my scale numbers are here: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652). If I was going to upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle, I'd be looking at the Toyota 4Runner or the newer Highlanders, both of which have pretty good everyday driving mileage and are rated for 5000# trailers.

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to pay your $12 before your trial membership runs out.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted trallmanor