TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
mrgoodwx

Default Questions about a 2003 TM 2720

Hi,

I first posted here about 4 months ago as my wife and I have been looking for a used TM. Our goal was a 3-5 year old 2720SD but it's been very difficult to find anything anywhere close to us. Finally, a 2003 2720 came up for sale in our local area. We looked at it today, and, for the most part, it seems to be in very good condition. I would very much appreciate comments/recommendations, as we are considering this TM.

1. The dining table is missing. The owners said it broke and they just didn't replace it, as they prefer using a folding table. So...is it easy to find parts...such as a TM dining table? Are there any other concerns about parts? I read the thread about TM changing factories and am not sure what to make of it.

2. Will the trailer tongue accommodate 2 batteries? We are used to dry camping with a solar panel in our PUP. I would want to install enough solar cells to feed about 200 ah in battery power.

3. The owners want $10.5k for the camper. The NADA book value is about $8k. Does $10.5 sound like a fair price for a 2003 TM 2720 in good condition but missing a dining table?

4. Is the quality of TMs as good in recent years as in 2003 (or vice versa)? I am asking because of one of the comments made on the thread about the new factory...that poor quality was part of the downfall.

Thanks for your comments. Right now...my wife and I are wondering whether to jump on this opportunity...or hold out for a 2720SD within 1000 miles or so...maybe a bit newer. We're a little excited...a little confused...and full of questions. But then...that's my normal state!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

For number one I'm not sure, on our SL we only use one side table.

For number two look here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10587

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11022

Both links have a lot of info on batteries and solar

For number three NADA tends to be low on TM's but others here can tell you better.

For number 4 TMs quality control is no worse then other RV makers. Many times what we think of as poor quality control in the TM is actually the sub contractor or vendor; ie cabinets refrig etc.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
surfandgolf

I did quite a lot of on line searching before I found my TM, and have a number of years experience with pop up trailers as well, so here's my 2 cents.

1) If it is the standard 2720 model, not SL or SD, the table becomes the base for the convertible bed, so it is custom cut to fit into the gap between the left and right seats, a store bought folding table wouldn't work if you wanted to utilize that bed. I believe some without tables have cut a piece of plywood to do the job, but that's 1 more thing to carry. The hardware for the tables can be found pretty easily and a carpenter could make one, but you'd need pretty specific plans for it to collapse and store like the factory model.

2) 2 batteries isn't a problem, I have 2-6 volts on mine, the solar links will help answer the rest of the question.

3) You don't say where in the US you are and prices can fluctuate a lot depending on location. I've found some steals using a craigslist search engine called search tempest
http://www.searchtempest.com/results...sk=&subcat=rvs
and oodle
http://rvs.oodle.com/trailmanor/for-...or+2720&inbs=1
but they are usually in less populated areas, the few that pop up in CA are usually at a premium. After a quick search I found a 03 in NM for 10.5, an 04 in Ca. and an 05 in IL for 9.9 and an 05 in CO for 15K, so prices can be all over the place, but I would say that 10.5 is a little on the high end, especially without the table, in this economy and time of year, unless there are already a number of upgrades or options, like 15" tires, 2" lift, wheel well mod, hanging cabinets, stereo etc. I agree that NADA tends to be on the low side though. I would guess a 3 - 5 year old one would be in the high teens, there seems to be a pretty big price drop as they approach 10 years old.

4) As for quality, it shouldn't be of any more concern than with any other camping trailer, most of it is comprised of standard rv parts, what sets TMs apart is the lift mechanisms, floors and walls. Like anything else, if a thorough inspection is done before buying and it's taken care of properly I wouldn't worry about it, you'll see very few issues on this site concerning those parts. Mine is a 98, was stored in a garage and I've had no TM quality issues, a huge step up from a tent trailer, especially in wind.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Camperwantabe

Default Questions about a used 2720

We looked all over for a TM and finally found one right in our town. It was a 2005 3023TM, and we paid 10K for it and it is in mint shape. We thought we got a great price on it...but I don't know what others have spent. We tow with a 04 Honda Pilot and have had no problems(3500# tow capacity). We have the transmission cooler and power steering cooler also on it. Hope you enjoy...we love ours.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I purchased my 2002 3124KB last month. Bought it from the original owner and he kept it in a carport area next to his house. Asking $8k and I paid slightly less than his asking price. I realize its not a 2720 which is probably the most popular model and I believe in 2003 the factory stopped using wood in the sub floor. Unit was in good condition, not fair and not excellent. Back about 10 years ago, I had a 1997 TM so I knew what I was getting into so that made a big difference when I saw this unit for sale. Was posted on Craigslist for two days before I bought it. The seller had two other potential buyers looking at it. I had cash on me and pulled the trigger as soon as I inspected it. Used it for the first time for the Thanksgiving weekend and was thrilled to have another TM. Had a tire blow out while sleeping in it the first night. See the thread under tires, tires, tires... Changed out both the next day and we are looking forward to a two week trip over xmas break.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
mrgoodwx

Thanks for all the response. I am not able to reach the links for the solar and battery...or the tires. However, I did purchase a membership a few minutes ago, so...hopefully, I'll be able to access those links soon.

I have read some other posts elsewhere about problems with the 14 inch tires, and a forum member also PM'd me about it. The 2003 2720TM we're looking at has 14 inch tires. It seems the highest load rating I can find for 14 inch tires is 1870 lbs. So...I guess a fully-loaded 2720TM would be near 3500 pounds or more...pretty close to the max load. Does that sound correct? Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of installing the lift kit and going to 15 inch rims/tires?

I'm not sure what I will do about the table if we decide to purchase the TM we're looking at. We would never use the dinette for a bed, but I really like the TM table that "gets out of the way" when you want it to.

By the way...we're in NM, so the $10.5k 2003 2720TM is the one we're looking at.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Table pictures can be found in this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10142
and here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4127

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
mrgoodwx

Default tables?

Thanks for the links. I get the "you do not have permission to access this page" message when trying to get to them. I became a site sponsor yesterday, so I'm hoping to gain access in the near future.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Thanks for the links. I get the "you do not have permission to access this page" message when trying to get to them. I became a site sponsor yesterday, so I'm hoping to gain access in the near future.
Did you PM Chris? It should have given you immediate access through paypal.

Tim
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
mrgoodwx

Tim...I sent Chris a PM last night but haven't heard from him. I'll try again. thx...