TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Front Hitch on TV

Folks,

As I was reading a thread just now, I noticed that on Shandysplace's avatar, the TV seems to have a front hitch. I have thought about installing one on my TV in order to be able to maneuver my TM into the backyard. I have a 9' gate on the side of the house, but there is a planter that keeps me from backing straight in. I have to make a small dog-leg turn to go through the gate. I used to drive my truck/camper rig in front first and then turn around. However, I don't want to risk dragging the TM on planter, gate, or house.

So...what has anyone's experience been with front hitches? Do they mess anything up, like the 5 mph bumper? Anything else?

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
MisterP

My only research has indicated that for me to install a front receiver on the F350, I lose my fog lights. Did not care to do that for a very rare need to carry on the front. Your situation is different. Do an Internet search for your vehicle, I am sure there are receivers.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We have a front receiver hitch on our duramax diesel and my husband loves it. We use it to move the camper to the back yard and to park it under the canopy. We also use it to for our TM spare tire holder on long trips.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
camp2canoe

We have a nightmare driveway - short but with both a curve and a hump - couple that with individual overhead doors that are only inches wider than the TM and you get the drift. Since the slope won't allow us to control the TM by hand, a front hitch was a necessity for us. With the draw bar removed, it is pretty unobtrusive. As our truck bumper is bolted directly to the frame, five mile an hour bumpers aren't an issue for us but I don't see why that would be any more of an issue than having a rear hitch. A side benefit of the front hitch is that it makes a great place to carry bicycles - they don't interfere with access to the cap on our F150 Supercab and are always in sight. You don't need to worry about not knowing that a bike is coming loose or backing the bikes into something. You can also buy hitch mounted canoe racks which work equally well on the front or rear. We're big fans of having a front hitch! - camp2canoe
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
PopBeavers

My fatherin-law used to use one. Made it easier to launch a boat at Lake Shasta, when the water is low, resulting in a *VERY* long ramp, and there is a camper on the back of the truck.

I would get on if it would allow me to carry a motorcycle, but that just is dreaming.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
My only research has indicated that for me to install a front receiver on the F350, I lose my fog lights.....
Warn makes a front receiver for your truck that allows you to keep the fog lights:
http://warn.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WAR/70995A0.pdf

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
My fatherin-law used to use one. Made it easier to launch a boat at Lake Shasta, when the water is low, resulting in a *VERY* long ramp, and there is a camper on the back of the truck.

I would get on if it would allow me to carry a motorcycle, but that just is dreaming.
A motorcycle on the front could be a great way to offset a heavy load back aft. You probably have the axle capacity to handle quite a lot up forward, if you can just figure out how to support it. It would be almost like a WDH in it's effect.

Do you suppose there's a way to mount it low enough to not block the headlights (and reduce the on/off effort too)? If it works, we'll be able to use the strategy for our Jazzys, a few years down the road.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
PopBeavers

The headlight problem is the biggest obstacle that I have identified.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
happybeebob

Just had this done to my TV if anyone is interested.
Jerry's Rv in Bend welded a 2" receiver to my TV which does not quite reach the front of the bumper It Cost $32 dollars for the receiver and $47 dollars for the welding. They cut a square in the air deflector underneath the bumper so it would pass through it to be welded to the frame
For $20 dollars I then bought a 12" hitch extender at Harbor Freight.
I already had a 14" hitch and ball so no charge there.
So for $100 dollars versus the cost of the electric tow dolly it was a no brainer.I had it put on the right side of the TV because it gives me a good look down the TM when pushing it in the garage. As there is now a 26" hitch bar the only thing I do for right now is get the DW to make sure I don't put it through the back wall. Very easy to do.

Bob

P.S. OOOOOPPPPPSSS Guess the date stamp is way off on the Pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10693.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	7310   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10694.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	7311   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10695.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	7312  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Nice idea Happybeebob. Gonna have a look at my TV and see if it might be possible

Tim