TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
KParis

Default How to you weight the axle on a 2619

Hello,

You all are so helpful--THANK YOU!! I am learning how I should weigh the rig once I get it. But I am confused about how to weigh the load on the axle. I know how to figure out the weight on the hitch, TV axles, but not how to measure the weight on the TM's axle. If I weight the trailer on its one axle with the TM loaded and with the tow vehicle attached (and WDH adjusted), it will give me the gross trailer weight (GTW). Would this weight be the same weight at the weight on the axle?

Thanks again for your time, Kathy Paris (going to get either a Nissan Pathfinder with 4.0 liter engine or Dodge Durango with a 4.7 liter engine; tow ratings 6000 and 7300 pounds respectively).
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

If you find a truck stop or other facility with truck scales you can weigh the TV and TM all together and find the exact weight on all the axles. It only costs around $10.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

QUOTE:
If I weight the trailer on its one axle with the TM loaded and with the tow vehicle attached (and WDH adjusted), it will give me the gross trailer weight (GTW). Would this weight be the same weight at the weight on the axle?

Almost right. Yes it will give you the total weight on the TM axle (in other words, the axle weight) but it is not the GTW. Some of the GTW is carried by the TV hitch. GTW is the axle weight plus the tongue weight.

When the TV and TM are connected, there are three axles carrying the total load(unless you buy a model 3326 which has two axles of it's own).

Go to a truck scale and pull thru the scale until only the TM axle is on the scale. That weight will be the weight on the TM axle(or axle weight). It will be composed of the TM weight not born by the hitch and the added weight forced onto the axle by the WDH.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The CAT Scale I used at a truck stop has three separate segments that allow having each of the 3 axles on different scale segments for 3 axle weights in a single pass ($9). I then went to the parking lot, unhitched the trailer, and went back to the scale to get the numbers for just the TV as a "re-weigh" for $1 (I'll post my exact results when I have time to write it up).

Here's where they tell you how to do it:
http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
RogerR

Our local junk yard will weigh you for $3
Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
brulaz

What Mr.Adventure says. A CAT scale measures both your TV axles and your trailer axle at the same time. Check the CAT scale web site for locations.

We did what My Adventure did plus an additional run (extra 1$) with the spring bars off the WDH just to see what it was doing to the numbers.

All very interesting numbers.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
cochise

Go to a truck scale and pull thru the scale until only the TM axle is on the scale. That weight will be the weight on the TM axle(or axle weight). It will be composed of the TM weight not born by the hitch and the added weight forced onto the axle by the WDH.

OK..the enclosed is a copy of my weight certificate for the Elkmnot 24. It shows the weight of all 3 axles, the TV and the Trailer. As Brulaz said, unhook the TV and weigh it alone and you have the weight of the axle on the trailer plus also the total weight if you deduct the difference in total weight from the new TV weight.

Trust me, it's really worth the $10 to know exactly what you got.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc2.doc (1.34 MB, 306 views)
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #8
KParis

Smile thank you to all who helped me

Thanks again for helping me.