TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
ProspectiveOwner

Default Buying a "reconstructed" titled trailmanor.....help **UPDATED WITH PICS

So I found a a 2000 2720sl actually close to me (which is impossible)... for a nice price ... talked to the lady who has had it for 3 years due to divorce situation ..... she wasn't positive but it sounds like it has a salvage title due to a "dent" on the side from a tree from a previous owner... she said it has no problems the whole time they have had it.... so my questions are :

what actually happens for a trailer to recieve a salvage title ? basically that means the damage was more than the value of the trailer so it was totaled and then bought back with the new salvage title right ?

Could it be there was way more significant damage that was "fixed" and the dent is just one part that was unfixed?

they are asking 5k and say it's in good condition ...this seems like a good price that perhaps takes the salvage title into consideration would you agree?

what else ?

ETA : PICS http://picasaweb.google.com/ramlsu/2...PeEuNG8itqzTA#
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
MisterP

My understanding is a salvage title is issued for a vehicle that has been declared damaged above its assessed value (as you said).

It does not matter what condition a seller says anything is in. If you are knowledgeable then perform a careful inspection. If not, either find a mobile trailer mechanic or negotiate a dealer inspection as a condition of sale.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
ProspectiveOwner

we don't have any dealers nearby ... where do you think the best place would be to find a mobile trailer mechanic ?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
ED-n-KEL

Default Salvage Title

Based on personal experience, a salvage titled road vehicle must still be inspected to be road worthy to still get inspection stickers, etc (at least in Louisiana).
On my son's car, I had to bring it to the local State Police for this inspection.
You may want to make sure that the registration/license plate, etc, is up to date, for this purpose. If not, you may be responsible for getting it right to get it back on the road.
For me, this involved bringing the original damage estimate, along with receipts for the new parts, to show that the parts were replaced. They seem to be more interested in making sure it's "mechanically sound" versus worrying about cosmetic dents. I left a slightly dented fender on and they gave me no grief.

Once you go through all the hassle of getting a salvaged title vehicle back on the road, everything else is the same as normal, other than the value of the vehicle is ultimately effected. In some cases though, the reduced value is undeserving if you're the seller, but welcomed it you're the buyer.
You may also want to check with your insurance agent on insurance limits, but this shouldn't be an real issue if you're buying it at a very low price.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Salvaged title

Once dented, it's hard to do body work on the shells of a TM, apparently. We've heard of TM's being totaled out after hailstorms, for example. In Virginia (and probably many other states), once damage exceeds a relatively modest percentage of the book value, the insurance company is required to total it out. It will then have a salvage title even though it is still quite serviceable for the purpose intended. So it could be a great deal for you, depending on what's really wrong with it and what DMV in your state will require for registration to keep it on the road.

Any RV dealer can go over a TM and help you check out the appliances, water, electric, and propane systems. Hopefully there's someone who can help you go over the Trailmanor setup/fold down operations. Most of us have our owners' manuals and can help you, if that unit doesn't have one.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
ProspectiveOwner

she said it may have a reconstructed title...she is giong to check tonight... I'd be road ready in the legal sense if it had that title right ?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
ProspectiveOwner

how do yall feel about the price assuming condition is avg/above-avg for a 2000 model and considering the title situation ?

she is getting a lot of calls, even from folks wanting to hit the road with cash and come pick it up...she is giving me first dibs since I was first
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveOwner View Post
how do yall feel about the price assuming condition is avg/above-avg for a 2000 model and considering the title situation ?

she is getting a lot of calls, even from folks wanting to hit the road with cash and come pick it up...she is giving me first dibs since I was first
Tell you you want to come and look it over, if there is a RV campground near her, ask if you can take it there so you can hook up all the systems and at least test for function. If systems work, crawl around under the trailer and look for frame cracks, lots of grease around the bearings (may just need a repack and new seals, but awareness is good) and condition of plumbing and wiring under the trailer. You can check the propane lines with a little soapy water at any connections for leaks.

If the refrig, A/C, heat, water and electrical systems work, and the trailer is structurally sound, then this is probably a good deal.

Unless you stated it and I missed it, you have not said generally where you live. A member might step up and offer you inspection help.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
ProspectiveOwner

Baton Rouge, LA

Camper in Lafayette, LA

Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveOwner View Post

A salvage title means that a previous owner accepted a pay-out from an insurance company that was equal to or higher than the repair estimate for the damage to the vehicle (in other-words, the vehicle was a total financial loss). The owner signs off the title to the insurance company upon receipt of the settlement. The insurance company takes ownership of the vehicle, then re-titles the vehicle as "Salvage" to be sure that they have satisfied all liability to that vehicle to avoid any future claims. Sometimes the insurance company will allow the owner to retain possession of the vehicle at no charge (to avoid disposal costs). Sometimes the owner is required to pay a reasonable cost (as apposed to selling the vehicle at auction).

IMHO....the price isn't that great. Check with your insurance company. My understanding is that most insurance companies will not insure a vehicle with a salvage title..... thus, "Salvage title" in the 1st place (if that is a concern to you).

If the trailer is in good condition, it may be worth $5000 but it doesn't have a salvage title for no reason. You will have to determine why that is. Also, you need to consider the condition of all of the appliances. These appliances are top of the line and are not cheap to replace. Fridge is ~$1300, Furnace ~$700, that stove is ~$800.

Check the date code on the tires. If they are over 5-years-old they should be replaced (~$300). If they are 3-years-old, they are half life. Same with the battery (~100).

If the trailer had a blow-out on the driver's side, there could be $1000 worth of hard to detect plumbing damage. This stuff adds up fast. It's best to have someone knowledgeable help you.

If someone is trying to pressure you into "Acting fast", that's sometimes a bad sign. This "Priority" line is sheer non-sense in some cases. Most sellers will sell to the 1st person that shows up with the asking price (ALWAYS in cash).