TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I don't know that the salvage title is as big a problem as you might think. Normally with cars you don't touch salvage vehicles. It means it has been in a big wreck, spent some time underwater, etc.. It can mean a lot of hidden problems.

Check with your DMV, but I don't think there is a problem getting a salvage registered.

I don't think you'll be able to get insurance for damage to the trailer itself, but since you only have 5K into it do you reallly need insurance? Certainly you need it for damage the trailer might do to other vehicles but for damage to the trailer itself you could skip it. I don't carry collision on my cars when they get down to 5K in value, it just doesn't make sense.

A camper isn't as complex as car. You don't have to worry as much about hidden problems.

Also the story with it getting totaled out due to hail damage sounds plausible.

If the roof doesn't leak then it just cosmetic.

It's up to you to evaluate it, but it could be a good deal.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Remember, a Salvage Title does not directly mean that the vehicle is unsafe or unusable. It simply means that the cost of returning it to its previous condition would be more than the insurance company was willing to pay out. Essentially the insurance company bought the damaged vehicle from the owner for its pre-crash value (or the amount of the owners damage insurance, whichever is less). The insurance company then owns the vehicle. The company can then sell it to the original owner for a price that they negotiate, or to anyone else they choose, and at that point it is designated "salvage". Or they may sell it to a scrapper.

So it isn't necessarily unusable / unsellable. If the damage is purely cosmetic (the most expensive kind of damage!), it may be a perfectly usable vehicle. This may be your case, as long as it doesn't leak (as RIWright noted).

Beyond all that, you may be able to clear a Salvage Title. In Arizona, where I live part time, you can register a vehicle with a salvage title, and if you restore the damage and get a safety inspection, the designation will be changed from "Salvaged" to "Restored Salvage", which is considered almost as good as a more usual title.

Check with your DMV. The rules may be similar in Washington.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
moaboy

This very well could be a "diamond in the rough" so to speak. First of all NADA consistently struggles to accurately value TM's, typically undervaluing them.
If it does not leak and you don't see any frame damage (and it seems to tow and track well) I'd go for it if I were in your shoes. And you should not have any problem getting liability insurance once you get the title squared away.
Good luck and join the forum!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Redhawk

Due to the cost of replacing the TM roof...almost ANY damage to the roof will result in the unit being "totaled". It's a great way to get a good deal on a TM. From my experience, Progressive will still insure you if you want insurance.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
CeeWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Due to the cost of replacing the TM roof...almost ANY damage to the roof will result in the unit being "totaled". It's a great way to get a good deal on a TM. From my experience, Progressive will still insure you if you want insurance.
Ty-at this point, what's holding me up, is just trying to find out if I can get it registered here in Washington. AND-I wanna give that roof another once over to make sure there are no cracks in those dents
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Cracks in the dents can be sealed using some liquid epoxy. Just squeeze some in there to fill the hole, level it out with the roof, and let it dry.

If WA presents a problem, perhaps you could use a relatives' address in another state that may allow registration.....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
CeeWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Cracks in the dents can be sealed using some liquid epoxy. Just squeeze some in there to fill the hole, level it out with the roof, and let it dry.

If WA presents a problem, perhaps you could use a relatives' address in another state that may allow registration.....

Dave
I was just thinking I could the entire roof with that white stuff they sometimes use on mobile homes to seal & soundproof (like a really thick paint)

This state gets really cranky to residents with out of state registered vehicles
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Hi again
do you see the other one listed?price is 13 k,
whats a little hail damage berween friends

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Drews60

I think I'd havE to jump on this one. Hit it with a garden hose and check for leaks. I bet there are none, just dimpled from the hail I'm guessing, purely cosmetic.

My 2005 Dodge truck was totaled due to hail damage. I got a wad of cash and fine running but ugly pick up truck.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #20
Dave and Diana

[Our present TV is a Ford Explorer (8 cy-rated at 6600 lbs).

I'm tempted but with my TV should I hold off and hope something smaller comes along (or should I be fine with the explorer?)? Is my judgement maybe being swayed because it's sort of what I've wanted all along? Can't afford a new TV

I have a 2004 2720 and tow it with a 2004 Toyota 4runner which has a 4 L 6 cyl engine and tow rating of only 5000 lbs. It tows the TM like a dream. I would certainly not worry about your Explorer assuming you have proper cooling.