TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Redhawk

That's funny....... we live at 6800 ft here.

I can't imagine backing down from any pass, that would be a nightmare.......just hope for a place to do a uturn I guess.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
That's funny....... we live at 6800 ft here.

I can't imagine backing down from any pass, that would be a nightmare.......just hope for a place to do a uturn I guess.
While the elevation can be a challenge, the road is the bigger issue. I'd guess that most all of us have more hp and torque per pound of RV than the motorhome guys. The steepest road I've had the Adventuremobile & TM on is a 17% grade, and while that worked fine, I'm not out looking for 20% grades to prove a point.

I'm not saying this doesn't sound like fun, but I'd expect that Rv'ers might sense an adventure coming as they blow past a sign that says "trailers not advisable" (just as I might sense an adventure coming if I was following popbeavers ). Roads can be too steep, but they can also be rocky, narrow, and have blind hairpin turns, and a bigger engine and lower gear ratios won't help you with these things. Backing up in defeat after going most of the way to the pass is certain to be memorable and might even turn out to be expensive as well.

But you needn't worry about me, as Ms. Adventure would be all over that warning sign and we'd be on another route long before we tested the point of no return.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
PopBeavers

Sonora Pass rises almost 2 miles in the sky, at an elevation of 9,628 feet above sea level. This is about as high as anyone can drive at this height in the sky. It's like walking on air. The Sierra crest rises to 8,600 feet and the highest peaks to almost 12,000 feet tall.

Just a few hundred yards west of the summit is a series of switchbacks.

26 percent grade, 9,000 feet elevation, switchbacks. My kind of place.

On the east side is a section of road that a 1948 Willy's Jeep with only front wheel drive can not drive up it. Well, I was unable to drive up it. It is so steep for about 50 feet that the tires just spin in place. Makes me wonder how any other front wheel drive vehicle would handle it. It is impossible to get a running start because it is immediately after a 180 degree turn.

I am most impressed by those that ride a bicycle up that road, from Kennedy Meadows to the summit.

If you can look out the window of your car and see trees, then you aren't high enough.

Foothills have trees.

Mountains do not have trees.

If you can't breathe, then you must be hiking.

One of these days I'll go over the pass. One of the things on my bucket list is to re-visit the Nevada ghost towns I explored as a teen.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
moaboy

My family and I drove up Mt. Evans in Colorado, over 14,000 feet, in our 2000 Honda Odyssey. No problems at all. One of my sons and I rode our bikes down-did not pedal for over 25 miles. My wife drove the Ody down the mtn.
Said she had to close her eyes a few times when the narrow rode got close to the edge of the cliff....
Quite a view to say the least.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Did you have a TM in tow, or just the Ody bareback?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
moaboy

Just the Ody.
I was speaking more to the issue of " combustion at high altitude."
Having said that it was a very gradual incline over a number of miles.
I believe the Ody could have done it if I would have taken it easy.
I have experienced much steeper inclines out East where there is much less room to build highways or they are older and the grade is steeper.
If I am correct this is the highest paved climb in the US. Not as well know as Pikes Peak, but slightly higher.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
sandy1970c

The Traverse is very similar to my 2009 Buick Enclave. It has more than enough power to tow my 2720SL. I just took the "maiden voyage" to Branson, Missouri. I did an average speed of 65 mph, and got about 16-17 mpg. The hills were quite significant, but my Buick handled them fine. I was hoping for higher gas mileage, but have to remind myself that my GMC Jimmy never got above 19 without towing anything.

Sandra Cowan
2011 - 2720SL
Buick Enclave V6 w/towing package