TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

This is exactly why both our TV's are 4X4's with full skid plates.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #42
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I think I've got to at least go with some form of 4WD. Even if it's rarely used...man...when you need it, you NEED it!
You pretty much took the words out of my mouth.
My advice here is to do what you feel you need to do. While $4gal gas is real, I wouldn't make this decision based solely on gas mileage. If you frequent terrain or issues that warrant some sort of 4wd, then do and don't look back.

I am now considering some type of 4wd on a new non-towing vehicle for my business. My photography has been taking me to dirt roads and fields, etc, and I'm considering something like a Jeep, 4WD Element or 4WD CRV, etc. Just this past weekend I had to park in a grass field for an all day photo shoot and got stuck in nothing more than wet grass. I could/would have gladly given the extra $100 a year in extra gas mileage to a tow truck if it wasn't for a buddy with a PU and a tow strap.

Do YOUR homework and make YOUR decision based on what you're needs are.
Input from others is good, but you know better than anyone what YOU want.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #43
PopBeavers

If you travel in mud, snow, steep hills, then any 4wd or AWD is probably helpful.

If you travel roads that are not graded, meaning that there are some large rocks to deal with, then make sure you have enough ground clearance to drive over the rocks. Have skid plates in case you guess wrong. Of course it is better to go around rocks if you can.

If you are new to driving 4wd in a rocky environment one trick is to not allow the rock to go through the center of your vehicle. Drive with the wheels on one side going on top of the rock. This will lift you up, avoiding "high center" problems.

If you are tempted travel solo, make sure you understand the limits of your vehicle and your skill. Have a winch and the appropriate accessories (tree strap, stakes, snatch blocks, high lift jack, etc.)

If you are traveling solo and have no experience in the conditions you encounter, then don't go there. Gain the experience while traveling with someone that does have the experience.

I got my experience in the Boy Scouts.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
.................................................. ..........snip........................ Just this past weekend I had to park in a grass field for an all day photo shoot and got stuck in nothing more than wet grass. ....................
This sounds like the '86 Astro we had all over again, My wife and I just had a good laugh at your expense. Sorry but it brought back some old memories.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #45
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
This sounds like the '86 Astro we had all over again, My wife and I just had a good laugh at your expense. Sorry but it brought back some old memories.
No problem. We have great memories in ours as well.
My Astro has served us very well over the years.
I only wish it was the AWD version at this point.

We used my dad's '88 Astro to tow our small boat (16ft) for years, and again, it worked great.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #46
mrgoodwx

Great posts, folks. You all make good points that need to be considered.

PopBeavers's story about his son brings me back to that fact that even if you only need 4WD <1 percent of the time...when you need it, you really NEED it. I'm convinced I will not get a 2WD for towing. Not only that, I do remember occasionally helping my son out with our 4WD Pathfinder when his 2WD Scion refused to budge in the snow...so, I like having one vehicle with 4WD anyway.

Pitbull, thanks for the torque/hp curves. Even though I'm not sure about the methodology and there is a lot of difference between the manufacturer's posted values and the dyno tests...it's helpful. I will go try a Tacoma within the next 2 days.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #47
mrgoodwx

Since I started this thread, I figured I should report back as to how things worked out. After repeated analysis that was leading to paralysis, we bought a new Toyota 4Runner today.

I finally took my wife with me and when the day began, I still had 4 vehicles in mind: Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, and Honda Ridgeline. Even though the Ridgeline is considered a car by many (unibody on a closed box frame), I have to admit I really liked it. I was ready to buy it but my wife liked the 4Runner (which actually surprised me). Ultimately, I decided I didn't want to give up a "2 speed case" with options for 4H and 4L...so we have that with our new 4Runner. I wasn't certain that the Ridgeline's torque management system would be able to take care of business the way 4L can. As rare as the event may be...when you need it...man...you NEED it!

I want to thank all of you for tossing me your comments and suggestions. They were very helpful. Now...I hope to NOT go through this decision-making process again for another 10 years.

Now that the TV is taken care of...all I have to do is find the right TM 2720. In the mean time, we'll be towing the big pop-up we have until we find the TM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #48
Redhawk

Can't go wrong with a Toyota! Congrats on your new TV.

Tags
2wd, 4wd, awd