TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I can't answer whether it is "possible". But you have to remember that this board, like most others, operates with a purchased software package. In our case, it is vBulletin. And no one is going to rewrite a commercial software package.

The bounds of "possible" shrink a lot when the question is rephrased as "does the vBulletin software give you the ability to ..."

When the board was brand new, almost 10 years ago, I hounded Chris to make changes. I didn't like the login procedure, could he change it? I hate the logout procedure (still do), could he change it? Could he move this green button to the other corner of the screen, and make it blue? This version of a smiley is hard to read, could you substitute that one?

Chris was very patient, and didn't berate me, and I gradually learned the ways of the world. This may be a similar case.

Bill
This my main reasons why I have never liked VBulletin or any paid board format. They limit what you can do with your board as far as easy customization. I always use either PHPBB or MyBB which are free board software with lots of free & some paid support along with virtually unlimited addon scripts.

Bill one of the easiest ways to combat spam is to have more mods. This board is a target due to daily traffic & the fact it is easy to sign up for membership.

There are other things that can be done also which can include but not limited to:

1. Set up & use the built in Report Function which with most boards is farily versatile & semi-automatic.

2. You could go to all new members need to be mod approved first which isn't fool proof but cuts down on fake members & does require more mods to be available. This is a method I used on most of my board projects in the past.

3. You can limit posting permissions of all members with 0 - whatever number post count to mod approval before their post show up at first. This is a very popular well used method by many boards now days but does require more trusted mods.

4. We could also limit new posters to one forum category until they post a few post or are manually approved for their full access to their 30 days.

There are many more methods I could mention but I don't know if VBulletin would work with them due to its limitations & my inexperience with it. Most methods that I have personally see work involve more hands on mods unfortunately since most any addons are computer controlled & eventually can be beaten by Spammers.

Most people that frequent boards now days know & understand even though many of the Spam prevention methods used today are inconvenient they are necessary to control SPAM.

Good Luck with this issue it is an ongoing back & forth battle once your board is on the SPAM Radar as you know.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote