TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
tharris30

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
I really appreciate hearing all of this. Now I have anothere question. Mayb I should post a new thread, but I will try here first.

I just learned about the toilet. Honestly, it sounds kinda.... I'll say "yucky" for lack of a better word but maybe I am just ill-informed. It flushes with waste water? Can you please expand on this? I mean, it sounds gross, but I am assuming that it must not be as bad as it sounds or else everyone wouldn't love TM so much. Is the water that it flushes with brownish? Does it smell bad? Is it hard to dump the toilet? It is at cassette type toilet or do you hook something up to something else to dump it?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann
I had to LMAO when I read this post. I had the same concerns but after using it instead of the alternative, pine cones, it seems ok. Be sure to put in potty chemicals as they deodorize it and break down the "concerns". I guess I have changed to minimally-gross for an opinion after a three day and several one day utilizations of the facilities. Emptying is is a piece of cake, so to speak. Just be sure to have your wastwater hose properly connected (AT both ENDS) B4 opening the valve under the toilet. Then I close the valve, run some clean water into the toilet, FLUSH, and reopen the valve to flush it OUT FULLY. FOLLOW MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS and/or ask the sales person when purchasing. Maybe a demo would be good!!!

P.S. With chemicals, the water is BLUE!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Al-n-Sue

Talking Happy with TM? YES!

We have had two popups (one when kids were young and one as we became empty nesters) and a tent - when the kids were really little. Since we camp now with 2 other couples who have TM, we knew about them long before we purchased. We bought a 5 yr old 3124 to get the king bed and extra storage - and it was in excellent shape. It is almost as good as our friend's 2006 model.

Our latest experience with a popup (and it was a nice one) was very good, but the time it took to set it up and take it down, combined with the bear issue (at almost all parks in Colorado) makes the TM a good choice for us. And I didn't have to change TV which is a big deal.

A TM owner has to recognize some compromises from a TT, but given that, it is a good fit for a lot of people.

As said here before, the "problems" with a TM are unique to the design, and are generally not significant. Ask anyone who has owned any type of RV and you'll hear lots of horror stories about quality, repairs, and upgrades. That is why Triailer Life and Good Sam have a consumer hot line and publish a big book on RV Maintenance! We have friends who just purchased a new 5th wheel and have already had to replace a shower head and are already needing some replacement parts for their trailer.

Bottom line - we love our TM. We waited over 5 years to get it, using our popup in the meantime. And given the price of gas, the fuel savings over a TT or 5er makes it a very good choice - albeit a compromise of sorts.

Good luck on your decision.
Alan
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Al-n-Sue

I had a cassette toilet in my popup - it was messy to empty and although flushed with fresh water, was still smelly even with chemicals in the holding tank. The TM toliet is not any worse, and flushes much better. It dumps just like a regular black water tank would. The flush water is filtered and uses chemicals so is not "yucky" at all.

Biggest problem may be with it filling up on longer trips with no hookups. Take a portable tote to empty into and you are set for those long boondock trips!

We just did a 4 night trip over Memorial Day and ours was not full, but close. But that included some "intestinal issues" that came about the last two nights and required additional use of the toilet - rather than head to the campground facility in 40 degree cold!

This toilet is just like those used on airplanes and boats, so is nothing new or unique to TM.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Yes we are happy...and we love ours...we would buy again!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
mtnguy

Quote:
I really appreciate hearing all of this. Now I have anothere question. Mayb I should post a new thread, but I will try here first.

I just learned about the toilet. Honestly, it sounds kinda.... I'll say "yucky" for lack of a better word but maybe I am just ill-informed. It flushes with waste water? Can you please expand on this? I mean, it sounds gross, but I am assuming that it must not be as bad as it sounds or else everyone wouldn't love TM so much. Is the water that it flushes with brownish? Does it smell bad? Is it hard to dump the toilet? It is at cassette type toilet or do you hook something up to something else to dump it?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann
Rae-Ann, you will here 2 sides to the Thetford toilet......those that love it, and those that hate.....and maybe some in between. I like ours, and it is a good fit for TM and especially boon-docking as it doesn't use any water other than the initial charge.

The toilet does flush with strained waste water.....and that sounds lucky if you think about it to much. There is a screen similar to a washing machine basket in the bottom of the toilet. Human waste goes into the middle of this basket, and the flush water is pumped from the outside of this basket.....thus solids remain in the middle and not the flush water.

You do an initial charge of ~3 gal. of water, then you don't add anymore....the charge can be done at home before you leave to save your onboard water. You add a small bottle of deodorant, and I have as of yet smelled anything bad coming from the toilet....just the deodorant smell.

You dump the toilet similar to other RVs. You pull a handle on the outside of the TM, and then 1 on the bottom of the toilet. After dumping, you close the inside valve, close the outside valve, and dump the gray water tank which helps clean the lines.

Hope this helps, Chap
Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
inthepink

Thank you, everyone, for all of the info. It is sounding not so bad at all except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There is a screen similar to a washing machine basket in the bottom of the toilet. Human waste goes into the middle of this basket, and the flush water is pumped from the outside of this basket.....thus solids remain in the middle and not the flush water.
This basket is not visible in the toilet when you just lift the lid, right?

Thank you again,
Rae-Ann
Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
mtnguy

Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for all of the info. It is sounding not so bad at all except...

This basket is not visible in the toilet when you just lift the lid, right?

Thank you again,
Rae-Ann
Negative. The toilet looks like any other toilet by looking into the bowl. If you take a flashlite and look down the hole towards the front of the toilet, then you can see some of the screen. Hope that isn't too much information.

Chap
Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
TraceyMac

We have had our TM now for about 6 months. This is the first of any type of camping equipment we have owned. My wife and I both love it and I should mention that she is not really the outdoors type - there is more than enough creature comfort involved to satisfy her.
As far as the toilet goes, I initially had the same concerns as you, but as many others have stated, it really is a non issue. It looks like a regular toilet when you look into it (i.e. you don't see more than you want to) and when you flush, it is just blue water that is visible as the flushing agent. Smell has never been any more than the deodorant smell of the blue chemical that is used.
I would thoroughly recommend a TM to anyone who wanted an easy to tow, assemble. take down, and store in the garage travel, trailer.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
PopBeavers

For sake of completeness, I will mention that some people like to add a deodorizing tablet. Potty Toddy, available from Camping World, seems to be relatively popular.

When I store the TM closed in the garage, I like to have the toilet charged with fresh water, on the theory that water on the seals will help keep them from drying out and cracking. I toss one Potty Toddy tablet in at the same time. I add the chemicals when we set up camp.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #20
Queeniereads

Hubby says that he would choose to put this toilet in any other future RV that we could possible own. We have only once had a problem with odor and that was moldy odor from storing it for over 2 years. If you have a problem with odor, put a bit more chemical in. Everything about the TM is a learning experience, and it is very forgiving. Last week, we forgot to put the steps in, so it is sitting in our driveway with the steps out. Hubby keeps telling me that this is supposed to be CAMPING. I said, "I only do luxury." Queen