TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
momto4girls

Dave, THANK YOU for the explanation. I just read it to my husband. He's game. Pretty sure he can handle installing the lift kit (if he can carve out the time). I'm going to start calling around locally to see who can get me what tires, etc. I think you said "factory" lift kit--order from TM directly?

I don't think towing could ever be an enjoyable experience, but I'd like to take as much stress out of it as possible.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #12
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Maxxis tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Dave, THANK YOU for the explanation. I just read it to my husband. He's game. Pretty sure he can handle installing the lift kit (if he can carve out the time). I'm going to start calling around locally to see who can get me what tires, etc. I think you said "factory" lift kit--order from TM directly?

I don't think towing could ever be an enjoyable experience, but I'd like to take as much stress out of it as possible.
Mom...get the lift kit, Maxxis tires (15" load range E) and new rims (etrailer is a good place for rims...

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tir...c-15_Inch.aspx

Then go online and look up Discount Tire...that is where I got mine and then you can take them to your local Discount Tire with your receipt and they will mount and balance them for free.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=15&cs=225

Or you could just go down to your Discount Tire and order them from there.

Another thing...while your at Discount tire, buy the road hazard warranty...it's $35 a tire but if anything ever happens to the tire they will replace it for free...well worth it in my books!! I did just that and when I had my Timbren Axles put on they screwed up and one of my brand new Maxxis $140 tires got ruined...so they ( the trailer repair company) bought me a new Maxxis tire and I kept the ruined one which I took back and Discount tire gave me a new tire also, so I got a second spare tire for free (I already had a spare by the way). All I had to do is get another rim...so now I have two spares....I like the road hazard warranty and have used it on many occasions to replace tires. You can't go wrong with Discount tires...I assume you have one near you....
good luck
Tom

ps Look up this tire on Amazon and read the customer reviews and you'll see...pay a little extra now and skip the worries!
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes, the lift kit at least used to be available from the factory. If you can get it from them, that's the easiest way to do it -- it's just 2" square tubing, but it's cut to size, the holes to mount it in between the axle and frame are pre-drilled, and it comes with hardened fasteners. If you can't get it from the factory, you can still do it, but will just have to do the cutting and drilling yourself.

Before you get too far into this, take a close look around every side of your current tire to see how much clearance you have now. Look up the factory specs on your current tire, and see how the tire dimensions compare to the dimensions of the new tire you want to get. TM's are pretty much made by hand, and so it's not unusual for every unit to be slightly different here or there due to manufacturing variances. In going from a 14" to 15" tire, the radius increases by 1/2", so you're not talking about a huge increase in physical size, but you want to make sure you have room before you install. Don't forget to compare tire width (width of tread).

Also, when you have the wheels off, it would be an excellent time to change the brakes, especially if you don't think they've ever been done before, and especially considering you have a somewhat smaller TV (compared to say, an F-250). If your husband has confidence in installing the lift kit, then he will probably feel confident in changing the brakes -- they are far easier to do than brakes on the car, especially if you buy the whole kit. And buying the kit is literally only a few bucks more than just replacing the pads and magnets, which is the minimum of what you'd want to do anyway. You may also have to get new drums, since I have never been able to find a shop to turn the armature surface (the surface on which the magnet rubs).

And if you're replacing the brakes, I think I would probably get the self-adjusting ones. They're not much more expensive than the regular ones (I think about $50/side, which is about $15 more per side), and folks here report they work well in maintaining braking power, unlike the regular ones whose power fades over time due to lack of user maintenance.

And since you'll have the drum off, I'd inspect and repack those bearings if you don't know if it hasn't been done in the past few years.

As far as cost goes, my post-it note estimates are:
  • $150 = 3 new rims x $50/ea
  • $400 = cost of 3 new 15" tires, balanced and mounted
  • $50 = lift kit
$600 = cost of new tires
  • $100 = new self-adjusting brakes, 2 at $50/ea
  • $100 = new Dexter brake drums, 2 at $50/ea (I believe they come with new bearings, but double check)
  • $5 = new bearing seals, 2 at $2.50/ea
  • $5 = wheel bearing grease

$210 = cost of new brakes, drums, and I think bearings

$810 = $600 + $210, total running gear rebuild, excluding labor. Call it $900 even.

Certainly you are upgrading components of the trailer from what the factory installed, but the bulk of the $900 cost is simply maintenance on a 14-year old trailer. Half of it is just the tires alone (excluding rims). And after you do it, I would feel quite confident, as I do with my trailer, that it's likely you will never have a blow out, and your stopping power will likely be much improved, which is not only obviously a huge safety factor, but a big stress reliever too.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
momto4girls

thanks! definitely not an expense I was planning on, but it will be well worth it. It needs it done--all of it.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Mom...get the lift kit, Maxxis tires (15" load range E) and new rims (etrailer is a good place for rims...

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tir...c-15_Inch.aspx

Then go online and look up Discount Tire...that is where I got mine and then you can take them to your local Discount Tire with your receipt and they will mount and balance them for free.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=15&cs=225

Or you could just go down to your Discount Tire and order them from there.

Another thing...while your at Discount tire, buy the road hazard warranty...it's $35 a tire but if anything ever happens to the tire they will replace it for free...well worth it in my books!! I did just that and when I had my Timbren Axles put on they screwed up and one of my brand new Maxxis $140 tires got ruined...so they ( the trailer repair company) bought me a new Maxxis tire and I kept the ruined one which I took back and Discount tire gave me a new tire also, so I got a second spare tire for free (I already had a spare by the way). All I had to do is get another rim...so now I have two spares....I like the road hazard warranty and have used it on many occasions to replace tires. You can't go wrong with Discount tires...I assume you have one near you....
good luck
Tom

ps Look up this tire on Amazon and read the customer reviews and you'll see...pay a little extra now and skip the worries!
yes, we do have a discount tire somewhere around here. i'll look them up. thx!

p.s. pardon any typos--terrible tendonitis in my right wrist!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #16
momto4girls

i was wrong. no discount tire here--closest one in Atlanta metro. I'll have to call around and see if anybody can get me the Maxxis or will put it on for me.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #17
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Cool Ok

Quote:
i was wrong. no discount tire here--closest one in Atlanta metro. I'll have to call around and see if anybody can get me the Maxxis or will put it on for me.
However you would do well to at least purchase the tires from discount tires and them have someone local mount and balance them. Then next time your passing thru Atlanta take you receipt with you and stop in at the discount tires and get the road hazard warranty.

Everything that Shrimpy said is correct. Just bite the bullet on the cost and then everything will be new (I would get new bearings while your at it...they're not much). Your running gear will all be new and you'll know exactly where you stand with NO guessing to be had. This is exactly what I did when I got mine. I had NO idea when any of this had been done last....so a wholesale change out is in order. Peace of mind is worth the extra cost! Especially with four lovely girls!!!!
Tom ....says, nice photo on the beach
Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #18
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
However you would do well to at least purchase the tires from discount tires and them have someone local mount and balance them. Then next time your passing thru Atlanta take you receipt with you and stop in at the discount tires and get the road hazard warranty.

Everything that Shrimpy said is correct. Just bite the bullet on the cost and then everything will be new (I would get new bearings while your at it...they're not much). Your running gear will all be new and you'll know exactly where you stand with NO guessing to be had. This is exactly what I did when I got mine. I had NO idea when any of this had been done last....so a wholesale change out is in order. Peace of mind is worth the extra cost! Especially with four lovely girls!!!!
Tom ....says, nice photo on the beach
Thank you! That's me with my "baby". And I totally agree with you on the wholesale change out. Peace of mind is a good thing. A VERY good thing.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:20 AM   #19
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up This is a smart thing you're doing..A VERY Smart thing!

Quote:
Thank you! That's me with my "baby". And I totally agree with you on the wholesale change out. Peace of mind is a good thing. A VERY good thing.
A-MEN to that sister!!!...by the way, I was the baby in my family...now I'm the last of the Mahicans ....
Tom ...who thinks you've got your head screwed on right!