TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
camperboy

Default Drying Bath Towels

Since we tend to travel for a couple days in a row we came up with a way for our bath towels to dry while on the road. Got small brass cup hooks and screwed them into the cabinets just under the countertops. Now we stretch a line between them and hang our towels on the lines. It's the last thing that gets done before closing the TM. By the time we arrive at the next stop the towels are dry. To make stretching the line easier we use a small bungie cord at one end for tension. Works for us! We have room for 4 or 5 towels in our M-26 (3023).

Camperboy
Old 10-23-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
mamabear

Default Re:Drying Bath Towels

What a cool idea!!

mamabear
Old 10-24-2003, 06:14 AM   #3
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

I like that idea,speaking of drying towels, on our last trip I had always used my handy indoor drying rack and set it outside, but I saw the neatest thing made with pvc pipe and string, going to hardware pickup pipe today, by the way it can be hung under the end pullout that way if it rains while camping, towels won't get wet.

Pam ;D
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
mamabear

That sounds interesting how does it work? If you can take pictures when you get it done.

mamabear
Old 10-24-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
efelker

Saw the same thing in some drawings in the Trailer Life "10 minute Tech" books. Have both volumes, but since they're copyrighted probably can't reproduce the drawing here.

Pam: When you guys finish it, how about posting some pix?

Ed
Old 10-25-2003, 07:52 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I haven't seen the books, so it is OK for me to guess - based on collapsible tent poles in my son's tent. How does this sound?

Get 2 pieces of 1/2" PVC water pipe (each maybe 2' long) and one 1/2" PVC "union". Solvent-weld the union to one end of one of the pipes. Now run a sturdy string through one pipe, and then through the other, so that the union ends up in the center. Fasten S-hooks to each end of the string, so it can't go back through the pipes.

When you want to use it, lay the pipes out straight and plug them together at the union. This forms a single four-foot-long pipe. Hang it from a tree-limb or the bed slides using the S-hooks. To store it, take it down, unplug the pipes and lay them side-by-side. Now you have a lightweight 2-foot package that is easy to store anywhere.

In the tent-poles, they use bungee cord material instead of string. This keeps the two-foot lengths pulled tightly together to keep them rigid. Sounds like a good idea here, too. It would keep the two pipes pressed together end-to-end so they don't accidently work themselves apart and dump your towels on the ground.

Sound useful?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Will do.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:50 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Ya know, I was trying to find a place to put in a hook to do this and after looking around for a while, found that the previous owners of our TM had put in a hook to the top right of the oven and also in the right hand side of the dinette table close up to the front bed. Maybe this is what they were doing with those hooks? Since the hooks are already there, I don't have to put any in!! I always thought the one to the right of the stove would be for a potholder.

The next project was trying to rig something up to hold up the "handheld" shower head so that you can stand under it without holding it. Couldn't find anything at the local Kmart. Shopping challenges continue.

What I came up with was to use heavy weight fishing line and string it on the ceiling, on top of the shower curtain hook holder/rack/channel (not sure what to call it). I basically unscrewed most of the screws a little and fished the wire between the ceiling and the curtain support. Facing the bathroom window, and starting with the first screw on the left towards the rear bed and the bathroom window, I strung the doubled up line right across to the screw identically spaced from the bathroom window on the right, then back towards the stove one screw, then left again towards the rear bed, then back one screw towards the stove and right again etc. What I got was a ceiling mounted line between each of the screws that you can use to support the handheld shower head in many different positions and also hang towels on. I ran out of line starting from the bathroom window side so started again at the rear and tied the line together in the middle so it could be retied if it stretched out in the future.

Doesn't take up any room!

I'll try to post pictures of it. Have tried to do this in the past but haven't been successful.

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I posted the picture of the shower head "hanger"/"towel dryer". Look in my previous post.

When you're not staring at it you don't really notice it, so it doesn't really look bad.

If you used clear fishing line (?) it wouldn't really show at all.

Not sure where the towels end up when you fold down the TM and leave them there?
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote