TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
wahoonc

Default Eight years in a barn...

I have found a 2003 3023 that has been stored in a barn for the past 8 years. I know tires and batteries are going to need replacing, wheel bearing repacked, brakes checked, etc.

Is there anything specific that needs to be checked that is unique to the TM?

I am very familiar with RV's in general and have completely rebuilt a couple of Airstreams and still have a couple of AS projects on the property.

This TM has been parked since 2005, I know the owner and trust them when they tell me it was completely cleaned prior to storage, and everything was working when it was parked. They only used it about 4 times before they parked it.
My main concern would be mouse damage, I hope to be able to see the trailer in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Aaron
Old 09-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

HI YAS
knowing about rv's is a grt help,
imo there is only about 8 to 10 items that are tm specific, the rest is the same as used on other trailers
may need to think about the seals on the thedford also,it is something you do not see in the a.s.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhotel View Post
HI YAS
knowing about rv's is a grt help,
imo there is only about 8 to 10 items that are tm specific, the rest is the same as used on other trailers
may need to think about the seals on the thedford also,it is something you do not see in the a.s.
One more "s" on the end of your sentence there and that would be very telling about the Thetford....haha.

I got my TM after it sat for several years, parked in a covered carport. The PO's wife passed away and the gentleman stopped using the TM. He had bought it new in 2002. Tires were done and I greased the wheels. Plugged it in and everything has worked since 2010. As you stated, the only real issue is critter,varmints, rodents. Ants can be intrusive as well. They love electrical wiring. Wasps can make themselves home in the WH, refridgerator compartment door areas on the exterior. Be careful when you open them suddenly. Pour some bleach water in the holding tanks, fill, then dump and refill. The seal bags for the TM may have become hard. Soften them up with a bleach cream cleaner like a Soft Scrub. The Dutch door seal on the inside, black weatherstrip can be brittle. It will leave marks on the exterior of the TM as you lift the roofs. I open the top half of the door and lock it in place wth the latch before I open the roof. Saves me from cleaning the swirl mark.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
DEarle
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
Stuff sniped The seal bags for the TM may have become hard. Soften them up with a bleach cream cleaner like a Soft Scrub. The Dutch door seal on the inside, black weatherstrip can be brittle. It will leave marks on the exterior of the TM as you lift the roofs. I open the top half of the door and lock it in place wth the latch before I open the roof. Saves me from cleaning the swirl mark.
seal bags? I haven't seen that term. Definition please (and thank you).

David
DEarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

david
is the main seal between the two shell halfs, is called the seal bag

(The PO's wife passed away and the gentleman stopped using the TM)

after dealing with some of my employees , po? (probation officer)

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
DEarle
Site Sponsor

po = previous owner.

there I returned the favor.

David
DEarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
rumbleweed

Probably plan on replacing the propane tanks ( soon) as well. Oil of peppermint ( the essential oil) on one or two cotton balls in a small open glass jar should drive ( keep) any critters out. Be careful it will damage surfaces if spilled.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Probably plan on replacing the propane tanks ( soon) as well. Oil of peppermint ( the essential oil) on one or two cotton balls in a small open glass jar should drive ( keep) any critters out. Be careful it will damage surfaces if spilled.
Thought about those, stock tanks appear to be the cheap 20# barbecue style tanks, those I have a bunch of. I also have a set of polished 30# aluminum tanks that would probably fit.

Aaron
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Sorry about the abbreviations. Forgot about the newbies....

The large seals that go side to side for the roof seal and also the seals that run along the front bed sides. There is a channel between the seal and the outer walls that fills up with crud, leaves, dirt, etc. due to the roofs are down and when TM is towed, small debris can get lodged in there. Over time, if not cleaned well, the leaves will deteriorate and stain the seal bag.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote