TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Debian Dog

Default Slept in the driveway last night

Well having a new TM and having to work on the weekend we did not have time to drag it to the campground but felt it a good idea to setup in the driveway and play "house" or more correctly "trailer"

We could not decide on bedding so we went with (3) solutions. At times we would be bringing the kids and figured they would want a sleeping bag. So we went with a cheap sleeping bag for the "dinette" bed figuring that a simple sleeping bag would roll up and store nicely. For the twin bed we went with a fitted sheet and a Coleman "super colossal" sleeping bag, figuring we could unzip it for a giant blanket or use it for a regular sleeping bag. For the back queen bed we found a air mattress sleep set that was cheaper than the Travasack but have not decided if we like it yet. May just go with a regular sheet set. Jury is still out.

We liked the idea of a stackable, camping type pot and pan set (the kind with clamp handles) but after using it... I think we decided that a regular pot and pan set would have been just as good.

I tested my $275 ELIM generator and it worked well even with the A/C on high and me flicking lights and fans on and off. My only concern is I bought a surge protector and grounded the generator to the ground itself (via metal stake) and to the trailer (via metal clip) and I could not get the ground light to to illuminate very solidly. Any ideas there? Ground them both?

The propane furnace works GREAT it heats up the TM rather quickly and we were comfortable even though it went down to 20*F (-7*C) Of course if you are sitting at the table you feet get pretty hot rather quickly. My only compliant was there was a bit of a draft where the top shell and the slide comes together. I have seen solutions like "pool noodles" and "foam tape" but do feel TM could address this better. Some type of interlocking seal?

Other than learning not to run into each other we had no other problems. We can't wait for spring to break and GET GOING! See you all out there!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
BobRederick

Re the gap between the top and the slide, be sure the slide is pulled out straight and centered. If it is off center, one side will gap open. Also, if the TM isn't level when you open up, this is aggrivated. Some air leakage is expected, but the big gaps normally are something you can do different.

Your first night out sounded well planned and quite successful. You will have a lot of fun with the TM with an attitude like that.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Debian Dog

mmm... are you saying we should have leveled it... THEN opened it?

The seals "look" good I mean you can't see light or anything but if my hinney was hanging out from underneath the blanket (as a gentleman I took the wall side) I would wake up with a very cold behind. A quick tuck of the blanket would resolve the issue.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
BobRederick

I do level mine before opening. We do dry camping and typically, I dig small pockets into the ground and drop tires on one side into them to level. That keeps the trailer from rolling as well and lowers the TM so the first stip is smaller. DW liked that. If you open when not level (side to side) you will find the slide wanting to go down-hill a bit. If you don't pull it back, there will be a gap along one side. You will have a lot of trouble getting the nylon flap in front closed as well.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

Opening the TM when it is not level can cause some transverse stresses on the torsion bars. It is okay if you need to pop it open to grab something out of it (like the owner's manual) but to set up and sleep in you should always level it. One of the guys at our dealer (your's too) warned me that leaving the TM set up and not level can cause a "memory" effect where the bars want to return to the same angle/slant/slooe the next time you open it up even if you are level. This can cause beds not to fit square and seals around the slide to gap somewhat ....sound familiar?
Bill