TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Front Window Protector

Last summer while we were away for 6 weeks, we left our 2619 folded down and covered with a fabric RV cover in the Albuquerque sun. Upon returning home and uncovering the TM, we saw athat our front window protector had warped a bit. Over the past year, the protector has warped terribly and has popped out of its frame. The protector seems to be made of masonite which doesn't seem too stable when wet anyway.

Before I purchase a new protector, I want to try to make one myself. Have any of you tried this? I only need to cut a sheet of some material to size and shape and slide it into the frame. I've checked on using aluminum but the material will cost about $200.00. I suppose that I will obtain a sheed to masonite, but how do I make sure that it will not absorb water? Do I just put on several coats of paint?

Thanks.

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I can't speak for the 2000 models, but my 2002 certainly did not have a Masonite window cover. Have you talked to the factory about this? I can't imagine that a new one, in the present formed plastic, would cost more than $200.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
agesilaus

I've seen them done in Lexan, there was an article in trailer life a couple months ago about some fellow restoring a TT, not a TM, and he got smoked Lexan replacements for his. Lexan is bendable.

My 2004 has plastic rock guards by the way, may be fiberglass...I'd have to look.

BK