TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
Scopegeek

Since the edit function isn't working, I've added this posting to invite you to see additional photos on Doug W's TrailManor Photo Gallery at http://tmphotos.org/modules/xoopsgal...?g2_itemId=613. Drop by and give them a look.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
jasnkel

This message board has been a great source of information, and I hope someone can help us out with our upcoming trip to Yosemite. We have a 2720 and a Toyota Sienna as tv TV. So far we have had no problems with the TV, but we are concerned about the Eastern approach to Yosemite. It seems like that route might get a bit hairy going over Tioga pass. That is the shortest route since we are coming from Colorado, but we don't want to get ouselves in a bad situation or push the TV over the edge (figuatively or literally). Does anyone have experience going that route towing a TM and can offer some advice or put our minds at ease? Should we just look at going the long way around and use the West entrance?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
PopBeavers

I have been over it several times in the last 10 years but I was not towing. I would not be afraid to tow my TM over it, but my TV is a tad larger than yours.

When are you going? This is important because until they plow the snow out of the way it is closed.

Also be aware that you can not tow a trailer along the Merced River near El Portal. The is the west central entrance. West north (Groveland) and west south (Oakhurst) are fine.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
jasnkel

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. We are planning our trip for the first week in August, so I would imagine snow wont be a problem. If we don't go through the Eastern entrance, we would go through the West North route.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Scott O

I have done the eastern entrance in our motorhome, motorcycle and several times on my bicycle. It is about 8 miles of 7%. It is worse going down than going up in a motorhome, but the bicycle was a hoot! Nice wide road with gradual curves. It is an absolutely epic drive and I would not hesitate to do it in either direction with my TM. Also, just as you leave Highway 395 to go up the hill there is a gas station sorta hidden on the left with a decent restaurant/deli should you need to eat! Enjoy Tioga Pass...it is absolutely amazing. You DO NOT want to go the long way around!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Scott's given you the word...

...exactly. Wide, smooth road, and you'll actually have nearly identical grades (although less altitude) going way up North on I-80 or US-50. Now for my joke (JOKE, DON'T DO THIS): Yep, you want to use the alternate route, enjoy a much more relaxing drive: CA-108, up from US-395. Or take it on your return trip DOWN towards Nevada, that's even nicer.

(ahem. 26% grade.)
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #17
agesilaus

I've been up the Tioga Pass several times towing a #3000 popup but that was behind a 5.7L Suburban. I wouldn't worry about pulling my 2619 up behind my 5.4L F150 either, but how much towing capacity does that Sienna have?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
jasnkel

The Sienna has a #3500 capacity, and it has done just fine so far. We will be testing how it does going up some more aggressive and long slopes (like up I-70 West of Denver) before we get out to Yosemite. Loaded for the trip we may get a little too close to the tow limit, so we are looking at upgrading the TV if the Sienna struggles at all on some of our local trips.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Jason, don't worry about "sluggishness"....

I think you should worry about the Tranny instead. Does your Minivan include an AIR-to-transmission-oil cooler, either in front of the "regular" radiator or in the driver's side wheel well? (BTW, if you think you're seeing it in front, check the tubing destination to make sure you're not looking at an air conditioner part instead.)

If you haven't got it, that would be a smart add-on. Spending $200 to add a GOOD transmission cooler could save the trip from being ruined by a dead Minivan in the middle of Nevada, and save a huge amount of Tranny repair/replacement money a tthe same time. And, for a steep uphill, set your Sienna Transmission in 3rd. Don't let it go hunting in and out of overdrive.
- - - - -
BTW, we're going there on Monday staying in a resort (not a TM trip). But it looks like the roads I'd like to take aren't going to be open.