TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Tuscany Bandit

Default Power Booster for radio?

Being a new owner of a 2720SL I have a question about the Power Booster for the radio antenae (Picture is attached). Would any one know why the red light is on all of the time? Will this drain the battery when trailer is in my garage? The dealer had said that the light will stay on ALL of the time! Can it be turned off at all?
Thanks in advance for any info some one may have.
The Tuscany Bandit.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Larry_Loo

Default Disconnect your battery

Tuscany, the TM trailers have several parasitic loads (not sure if that's the right term to use), such as your radio's power booster and the propane detector, that increase the rate at which power is drained from the trailer's battery. Many TM owners disconnect the leads from their batteries when their TMs are being stored. Others, like myself, switch our batteries off with a marine-type of electrical disconnect switch. This subject was covered in previous threads such as:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...Battery+switch

These parasitic loads quickly drain a TM's battery when the trailer is left in storage. If the battery is disconnected from the circuit, however, it can maintain its electrical charge for a long time.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I think that in my 2005 2720 that both the carbon moxnoxide and propane detectors at floor level are disconnected when the rear shell is lowered. I also think that the ceiling mounted smoked detector is not disconnected. I'll have to look.

I know that when parked in my garage for a month I can tow for 4 hours and when I use the cabinet mounted display the battery shows full. That's good enough for my present needs. One of these days I get an ammeter and measure it.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
Tuscany Bandit

Mine being a 2005...if the TM is pluged into 110v at home in the garage all of the time, wouldn't the battery stay charged and not get over charged?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Windbreaker

That was my reasoning also, two years later I ended up buying new batteries. Now I know to plug them in for a day or two every month or for three or four days before a trip.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
Larry_Loo

Tuscany, others like Bill or RockyMtnRay are better qualified to respond to your question than I am. From reading their past messages about converters, though, it seems to depend on whether your 2005 trailer's converter has a three-stage charger or a two-stage one. The former type stops charging when the battery is fully charged. The latter type doesn't, and, may overcharge your battery.

Hey, one of you guys feel free to chime in!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The Magnetek 6300 series converter WILL overcharge your battery.

The Magnetek 7300 or 7400 series may or may not overcharge your battery, depending on whether or not it has the timer option ("T" suffix in the model number). Problem is, if it has the timer option, it may never fully charge a flat battery. The timer cuts off the charging too soon.

My new TM has a completely new converter from American Enterprises (ironically, I think, a Chinese outfit). It should be better than the Magneteks - completely filtered power, more charge capacity, and a couple other goodies. However, there seems to be NO information available about it, so I am not yet ready to recommend it wholeheartedly. When I called American Enterprises to get some info, the rep told me that it charges your battery to only 98%, so as to avoid overcharging. This is not an ideal situation either, but is OK I guess. He also said that they do not make any printed information available. I HATE that! At least Magnetek made the info available.

I don't know when TM phased in the different charger models. My '02 had a Magnetek 6300 series, my '06 has the American Enterprises unit.

Bob Rederick replaced his 6300 converter with a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower PD6000 (?) - use the Search tool at the top of the page to find his posts. On paper, at least, this is the best converter I have seen.

I continue to recommend, as I have for years, that for long-term storage, you should get a true 3-stage (or 4-stage) charger from one of the mfrs that specializes in chargers for electric trolling motors. One such mfr is Guest Industries, and there are others. I have used a Guest Model 2610 10-amp charger, leaving it connected for months at a time, without problems. http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=2610

If you don't have a true 3-stage charger, I recommend fully charging the battery, and then completely disconnecting it. With no load, it will stay fully charged for 6 months in cold weather, and probably half that in warm weather.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #8
Tuscany Bandit

Default Power booster for radio

Thank you guys for all your help...much appreciated on this end!
Jerry