TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
swamperk

Default leaky water thru the vents sides

anybody had this problem,when it rains its takes a little while having some leaking around the vents,so i looks for cracks and holes,found nothing,so i seal each vent with rtv silcone sealant,seal it very good,after a rain again same spot leaking water,drop,drop and drop,put pots on the floor,after the rain the next day,sunshine,went on the roof everything seal,i thinking the water is coming from the air condition getting between the roof inside,,,it that possible? Check out the air condition later in the year
swamperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

All the vents? Did you re-seal around the flashing on top of the wood frame, and also around the bottom of the wood frame, where the vents meet the roof? I am assuming you have wood framing around the vents and the Fantastic Fan, similar to what I have.

All silicone, both for the vent, and where the wood meets the roof, needs to be replaced.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You cannot put new caulk on top of old caulk. It won't stick, and it won't be waterproof. You must remove all the old caulk before applying new.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
eddugo

My leaks in the vents were in the wood (mine are PVC) frame joints. They are made with butt joints. I used a knife to remove the silicone and replaced with RV polyurathane caulk - self leveling.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
swamperk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
All the vents? Did you re-seal around the flashing on top of the wood frame, and also around the bottom of the wood frame, where the vents meet the roof? I am assuming you have wood framing around the vents and the Fantastic Fan, similar to what I have.

All silicone, both for the vent, and where the wood meets the roof, needs to be replaced.
mine is a 2009 trailmanor,i remove the bottom of the vent,i dont see any wood,as soon as it quits raining i will pull the entire vents out to see what i have,it looks like its styform in the middle between the roof and the ceiling,thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Don't seal anything inside the roof itself. If, by some chance, water is migrating inside the roof, and exiting at the vent, you would be sealing the exit point, but keeping water inside the roof. Don't want to do that! Besides doing damage, the additional water would make it hard to lift the shell.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
swamperk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Don't seal anything inside the roof itself. If, by some chance, water is migrating inside the roof, and exiting at the vent, you would be sealing the exit point, but keeping water inside the roof. Don't want to do that! Besides doing damage, the additional water would make it hard to lift the shell.
I agree with that to be sure I will make a circle around the vent about one inch put water in the circle and see if the vent is leaking to be sure,but I think it's traveling to the vents. Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
clown9644

The wood is on the outside of the vent. The wood is glued to the aluminum roof and the vent is screwed to the wood. I don't think you will see any wood from the inside of the assembly and if so it is not where it is leaking. It is most common at the joints of the wood as they used about a one inch strip on all 4 sides that are jointed at the corners. It would have been better, albeit more expensive, if they would have taken one piece of wood and cut out the hole for the vent area. That would have been 4 less seams to worry about!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
eddugo

My "wood" is actually PVC. The vent should NOT be screwed to the "Wood" as it is only siliconed to the roof (according to Ed at Trailmanor). You need to have a clamp type roof vent that clamps the vent to the trim inside or you run the risk of the vents blowing off.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Leaky Vent

I also have a leak in the vent. A few years ago I cleaned all the old sealant from the vent and replaced with silicon. It worked for years. Now I have a leak when I'm camping and get a heavy rain storm. I check the silicon and cannot find any cracks or holes. Any ideas?
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote