TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2002, 07:34 PM   #11

Default Re: Trailmanor accident on rv.net message board

I agree that you should err on the side of a heavier tongue weight.  There's a significant limit to this, though.  The worst thing this can do is lighten the front wheels!  To the point that your tongue weight stops depressing your rear springs, and starts acting as a lever raising the front wheels, tongue weight is good.   This is why equalizing bars can help prevent some events from triggering sway.

IMHO, there are different causes of sway, not just one.  For example, the wheelbase of your tow vehicle, the length of the trailer, # of trailer axles, proper alignment of the trailer axle (probably a bigger factor than realized), proper and even tire pressures on the trailer axles and tow vehicle axles, cross wind section (center of pressure) of the tow vehicle and trailer, etc.  I think there are treatises on the topic available all over the 'net.

I've done what seems to me to be a lot of towing and never had sway control.  (Hmmm...  I've lost trailer brakes a couple of times, had blowouts, frozen bearings, debris damage, panic stops, ice patches, blinding rain, gale crosswinds -- the usual.)  There are some situations I'd definitely either (a) not let myself or any of my friends get in the tow vehicle if it wasn't staying parked, or (b) go out and buy a sway control device.  It's good insurance.

Oh, and in some states, if a trooper sees your rig sway, you can be cited for a moving violation.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:24 AM   #12
oilspot

Default Re: Trailmanor accident & Sway Control

I agree that there are many factors affecting sway control.  Here is what the TM factory rep (a close friend of mine) advised me about sway control for my 2720SL.

"No, I hadn't recommended the sway control.  I would try to get the cash back for that if I were you.  As far as I know, no other trailer company goes through the effort we do to make the trailer tow without sway.  We calculated the second moment of inertia about the trailer hitch to determine the placement of the axle to eliminate sway  (all of the sideways/rotational force of the trailer is taken up by the axle - not by your tow vehicle).  Most heavier trailers have the axle too far forward and create sway problems with this.  You can also create sway problems by storing your heavy stuff too far to the rear of the trailer (best to put that stuff to the front of the axle when practical).  Sway control  equipment just damps the sway so you don't feel that there is a problem.  HOWEVER, very short wheelbase cars can be pretty squirrely, but I don't think the pathfinder fits this category."

Just thought this would add some more fuel to the debate
Old 06-25-2002, 05:24 AM   #13
Chris_Bauer

You guys should know by now that I am not a mechanical person and have learned quite a bit from this site and the experience of owning a TM for a year and a half.  We experienced sway from wind and trailers on our first trip out West.  This year I bought a camper shell for the pickup and it seems to me to be more stable then ever before.  We have had no wind problems or sway whatsoever.  For whatever it worth. . .  
Old 06-25-2002, 10:36 AM   #14
Happytrails

Funny someone should post something about an accident today.......about 3 hours ago, I was hit from behind while stopped by a guy who wasn't paying attention at about 35mph. My car slammed into the car in front of me as I was thrown back off the brake pedel, and her car hit the one in front of her.......sad part was that she is pregnant.  :-/ I sure hope she's ok. The guy who hit me was ok, as well as the lady in the very front car. But at any rate, now that I have a TM, I've got NOTHING to tow it with....   :'( Luckily tho, I wasn't hurt at all.....bent my tow hitch, and rear frame, and totaled my brush guard in the front, but it took the brunt of that, and for the most part, the front end's ok.....But the really sad part is the guy had NO insurance, and no money......he'll probably declair bankrupcy. My blazer's drivable, but I don't plan on it....dunno what's going to happen......at least I have uninsured motorists insurance.....so that will cover it, but I doubt I'll get that much outta it if they don't fix it and total it out.....   :-/

"Not-so-" Happytrails..........
Old 06-26-2002, 02:55 AM   #15
arknoah

Sounds like you made it through the accident okay, though I'm sorry about the vehicle.   Insurance claims and police reports can really be a pain and take up a lot of your time.  

Of course, it's a lot worse if you get hurt at the same time, right?

Thinkin' about 'ya

Old 06-26-2002, 04:15 AM   #16
Larry_Loo

Happytrails,
I'm sure that I can speak for all the participants of this forum by saying that we're all sorry to hear about your accident - and the damage that your Blazer sustained. I'm hoping that you can get it repaired satisfactorily or find another suitable vehicle to tow your TM.

We're glad that you weren't injured in the crash.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:41 AM   #17

...I'm so sorry this happened.
Glad nobody was seriously hurt.
Red
Old 06-26-2002, 07:53 AM   #18
2swans

happytrails,
glad you're ok :-/. let us hear what kind of tow vehicle you decide on. hang in there! 2swans
Old 06-26-2002, 12:21 PM   #19
Happytrails

F.J. Yup, and yup, I'm feeling it today......lol But I'll be ok. The force of the impact shoved my seat back 10 inches, and I bent the steering wheel back 6 inches. After it was all over, I couldn't reach the pedels, and I was still holding onto the steering wheel. LOL I just looked up in Nada what it was worth, and seems it's only 1,000 less than I paid for it almost two years ago. Add the brush guard, and tow package, I should come out ok.......After talking to some people, I've heard NOT to go with any kinda jeep to tow it with as the transmissions won't hold up....cherokee or grand cherokee. If they total it out, I'll probably go with the small Yukon. The frame's bent, so they may total it....I dunno I'm hoping so though.

Happytrails......
Old 06-28-2002, 04:38 PM   #20

I hope you're wrong about the Grand Cherokees since this is my tow vehicle  .  98,000 miles and still going, although admittedly there is only a couple thousand miles towing something.  I'll let you know next summer if I concur with the Jeeps tranmissions being thought of as fragile...