TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Default Air Conditioner Fan Delay

I am trying a number of thing to get the AC to come on reliably on my generators. Frankly the Honda is surprising me with its momentary surge capability of 40A which is waaay over spec.

Still the Pred's 35A should be enough and continuous is a lot higher.

Have already expanded the junction box below the fridge area to provide an isolation switch and a plug. This provides a street side 120VAC outlet and when isolated I can use a #10 male-male jumper to connect the generator output directly to the AC without going through the controller or connecting to anything else.

The second stage is to modify the AC air handler incorporating a three second delay on the LO fan line that also turns the fan off if the AC compressor turns off (thermocycles). It also has an enable/disable since do not need if on shore power and must come on with heat. Could have used more relays but a SPST switch was easier.

The idea is to have all of the 120VAC power going to the AirCon and by putting the delay on the fan directs the total generator output to the compressor for startup.

Once installed and tested I'll determing if the Hard Start capacitor is needed. I have both a SPP6 and a SPP6E.

BTW if my calculations are correct, the compressor is a touch over 1/2 hp.

The schematic is below. Does anyone see a problem here ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isolationclosed.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	11527   Click image for larger version

Name:	isolationopen.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	11528   Click image for larger version

Name:	delayschem.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	11529  
Old 05-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I understand your background, that said I find it easier to reserve a site with electric, the added cost is so small that by the time you spend money on the gadgets and two generators, the labor, I'll be enjoying my air pluged in to a pole on my site. I know you had a generator lying around but you still bought it!

I do find my Honda quite capable and very quiet, just choose to leave it home most of the time.

I camp 35 - 40 nights a summer and have yet to camp in an area without electric.

Camp more work less works for me.
Maybe someday I'll think differently and appreciate your research but for now I'd rather plug in and camp. I do understand those on solar in National Parks but in NE Ohio we have electric.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Dfferent needs. Every year the week in Lakeland for Sun & Fun is dry and this year I needed the AC. Also many major car/air shows and auctions that allow trailers are dry.

Also often when at someones home or the beach for a weekend and using as a mobile guest room that is often dry so I like to be as self contained as possible.

Finally on every site I see people havng problems running ACs while camping so is something of a quest. Know that even a EU2000 has "enough" energy for a 13.5k AC the problem is getting the compressor started. Add in the fact that the accepted (and profitable) answer is a companion genny.

So for me is a challenge aand something that is not only interesting but I suspect may be usefu to some as well. Besides I get to play with my toyz.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Interested in your statement about campers having problems at their site with electric, been camping 45 years and might, might have had an issue once or twice, guess I camp mostly in decent campgrounds and not off a temporary setup or extension cord.
I agree we all have different needs, seems like you have a lot of needs, going camping I hope is one ..........

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Actually camping is more of a side benefit for me since am no longer married. Am now retired and have a dream of going around the country slowly.

It is common for people of the Northern persuation to move to Florida and after a year or two move back whence they came. The 100 days of summer are brutal and frankly after actively taken son from cub to eagle in the souf I have had enough of hot, sticky nights in tents and jungle hammocks. I like to sleep at about 72F and 30% with a gentle breeze wafting. At my age and position in life I see no reason not to.

Therefore I Will Have AC if I want. The TM is capable and will be able to do so when I need it.

Right now I am investigating cheap fixes. In another RV group a member and I had great success with a in-the-floor 13.5k AC using a fan delay but that was more complicated since there were two fans. This just has one, a combination inside blower and outsude fan.

BTW I have no problem with campsites that provide power. Everything worked. But about half the time I am dry camping. Hence the work.

So please do not naysay what I am doing. It suits me. And I suspect a few others might be interested if this works the way I think it will.

Have gotten it genned upnow and will probably install in the morning. Less than $25 in parts mostly for a 0-5 second 7A time delay relay.

Once the AC is working then I'll look into the Gen II WiFi rear view camera (about $65 in parts). Gen I used OTS camera and display. Fine for the back of the heep but spotty from the back of the TM. If that is a problem, I'll need to look into hardwiring it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fandelay.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	11530  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Dchisenh

Hey Padgett, I've been following your threads and they're really interesting (albeit a bit over my head electrically-speaking), so please keep posting your progress. I don't think TrailManorMan is nay-saying your work, he's just saying that much tinkering isn't his cup of tea...and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of folks, but I for one am thankful you're taking the time to figure out if the hard start cap for our ACs are the E ones or the non-E ones. I've been looking into a boondocking generator capable of powering my 15K AC and am considering the Champion 3100 unit with the possibility of having to get one of the hard start caps. If you can get your unit up and running, I hope I'll have at least the cap part of the riddle solved, then I'll just get my Dad who was an electrician to give me a hand hooking it up! Good luck tinkering!

-Dan

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
w/tow package, Tekonsha Prodigy P2, and
Pro Series RB3 Weight Distribution System
Round Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 750 lbs TW
Dchisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Nope not naysaying just saying i buy a site with electric and forgo the gen set noise and hassel, thats me😀

Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailManorMan View Post
Nope not naysaying just saying i buy a site with electric and forgo the gen set noise and hassel, thats me😀
Not all of us want a developed CG. A lot want more rustic but also want a ginny to run the A/C unit.
We don't like the developed CG's as well and would prefer to not have the noise of a ginny, that's why we went the solar route.

Looks like Padgett likes a challenge but I haven't seen a suicide cord like the one he made up in years.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

We have very few campgrounds within 500 miles that i cant get electric, no national forest or similar , seems to be a western thing ��
Most all the state parks have electric and some have water, just returned from an ocean front site in Virginia Beach with electric and water, nice state park with privacy and beach access, no gens allowed solar would be tough due to trees so plug in was nice

Old 05-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I just think my philosophy can be summed up in the original Smokey and the Bandit: "Because they said it couldn't be done." (and the money).

Been on the bleeding edge since I took a Macpherson Strut, Fiber opics, infrared transmission, and a computer to change very large aluminum die casting machines enough that production increased by a third & the union filed a grievance for "work speed up" - in 1973.

Cord isn't dangerous if you plug the trailer in first. My only concern is the lack of a circuit breaker other than on the genny.

Developed vs undeveloped is not really my issue, more "anytime, anywhere".

Meanwhile tomorrow morning when it is cool (was over 90 today) I'll try wiring in the fan delay and run some tests. Want to try just that before adding the HS cap.

Is interesting that the SPP6 measures 140 uf and the SPP6E 106 uf. Wonder why the difference.

Agree the Honda EU3000 and the Champion 3100 are nice units just the rear compartment is 22" long by 14" wide & limits what I can put in there. So far the Pred is the highest rated genny that fits. Having three HF stores inside a 15 mile radius is just nice but is also a Northern Tool nearby.

Every genny has people asking whether it will start an AC and 13.5k seems the most common. The "Accepted" answer is 3000W. Right.

One of the phun things about O'town is that everything is here and usually cheap. The ultimate absurdity (I like absurd) is that we have a Prada Outlet store just south of here (I shop more at the Columbia outlet though).

This is just playing.