TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2023, 01:01 AM   #1
DanSTL
Site Sponsor

Default Basic Plumbing Question

Hi, recently bought a 2009 2720QB and have a small dribble leak from under the kitchen and bathroom faucet. I have narrowed both leaks to the pipes under each faucet, but have a couple of basic questions I could use help with.

1. Does the below sound like I have a clog somewhere between the kitchen and bath?

Water drains fine, but seems to back up to just beneath the kitchen and bath drain, then leaks from the junction where my finger points (2 pics).

Also note the red line is the where I think the max water line should sit (in the P trap) but it's sitting way higher up near the kitchen drain.

2. Where can I buy the right drain pipes for the TM?

I attempted to pickup replacement 1 1/2 inch pipes at my local Ace hardware but the threads to not appear to match up. The TM pipes also have a strange notch I haven't seen before in conventional drain pipes, so I ended up siliconing the old pipes and hoping that would stop the leaks, which didn't work.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8955.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	22557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8919.jpg
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	22558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8924.jpg
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	22559  
DanSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:56 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Your red line level theory is correct. Your description says that you do indeed have a clog, quite possibly in the vertical pipe. You can clear it with a plumber's snake, or you can remove all the pipe pieces and either clean them or replace them.

The pipes are standard plumbing pieces, available at any hardware store. No goop or teflon tape should be used. Most of the joints are intended to be hand-tightened. You can identify them by the fact that they are threaded, and have molded in "grippers" for your hand. If someone put a wrench on these, something may have cracked. Hence the leak.

One or two joints may be glued. If you have any, you won't be able to take them apart, so you can assume those pieces are good, and reuse them as they are.

All the goop is a big mistake. The threaded fittings are all self-sealing when assembled correctly, and should need no goop. In fact, it is possible that by forcing too much goop into a joint, the clog was created.

My advice is to disassemble everything, and replace the pieces that are broken or gooped. There are white nylon wedge-shaped seals in some of the joints - be sure they are assembled with the correct side facing downstream. Reassemble with firm hand-tightening.

Finally, run a snake down the vertical pipe to make sure the clog is not within it.

There are numerous on-line how-to-do-it sites. For example, you may find help here

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/kitchen...a-kitchen-sink

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Bill is spot on with everything.

I will just add this....... assemble all of the pipes and fittings, leaving them loose at first. Then tighten them piece by piece, being sure that everything is aligned. Tighten the slip joints last and be sure that there is no tension at the slip joints when tightening them.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

An alternative to the P-trap is the HepVo dry trap. It clears up a bit of space and simplifies things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solution.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	22560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem solved.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	22561  
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Jim -

Re Hep-VO: I've been looking at these things for a while, but never knew anyone who used one. Are they pretty good? Do they work as advertised? Any advice?

Bill
Old 09-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Most of the joints are intended to be hand-tightened. You can identify them by the fact that they are threaded, and have molded in "grippers" for your hand ... The threaded fittings are all self-sealing when assembled correctly, and should need no goop.
Dan -

One further comment, to reassure you about hand-tightening plumbing joints without wrenches or tape or goop. Remember that there is no pressure in drain pipes. The water simply flows smoothly by gravity through an empty pipe.

When you are making connections in a pressurized water system, you need to work harder at getting the joints tight enough to resist seeping under substantial water pressure. But in a drain system, there is no pressure.

Bill
Old 09-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #7
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Jim -

Re Hep-VO: I've been looking at these things for a while, but never knew anyone who used one. Are they pretty good? Do they work as advertised? Any advice?

Bill
Same question here! Saw those when I was dealing with a leaking kitchen drain basket myself - was SO tempted to pick one up. Still very interested. It would make life so much easier under the sink!
Considered one for under the tub when I had cracked J-trap there. But that is now fixed and I hope to Never have to go there again.

And Dan - I had to remove my strainer basket - the seal under it was leaking. If you have to, you may find it very difficult, if not impossible to get the old basket out. The years of mung that had gotten into the threads of the lock nut had pretty much cemented it in place. Had to cut mine out with a multi-tool and replace the whole basket assembly.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:44 PM   #8
DanSTL
Site Sponsor

Default Plan!

Thanks everyone! I will try to snake the vertical pipe by removing the circled pipe, and will take the old parts to a local plumbing supply to ensure I get the right parts and then hand tighten. Really appreciate the help. Maiden trip set for 7-8 Oct !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8997.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	22568  
DanSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 09:04 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSTL View Post
Thanks everyone! I will try to snake the vertical pipe by removing the circled pipe, and will take the old parts to a local plumbing supply to ensure I get the right parts and then hand tighten. Really appreciate the help. Maiden trip set for 7-8 Oct !
If you feel like you want to put sealer on any of the threads, pick up a can of "Oaty plumber's putty". Especially for the connector under the sink (where the plastic pipe connects to the bottom of the sink). It never gets hard. It does help seal and more important, it helps you tighten the threads more smoothly.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #10
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Jim -

Bill
this is the third season on ours and it is working great still. No smells and no issues with drainage. The kit comes with adapters for 2 different sized pipes. Note that I rebuilt the entire plumbing drain at this point but the HepVo screwed right into the old piping as well. I had a REALLY HARD time getting ABS parts the same size as what TM uses.

I did a write up on this here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694...31010120496935
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote