TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
michael165

Default Basic Towing Question

Hi,

I'm considering buying a used 2003 TM (2720). I have a 2000 GMC Sierra (5.3L V8) with the tow package (hitch and connections). I've never seen a TM and I've never towed anything before. What do I need to pick up the TM?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Simply to pick it up and drive it home? Assuming you're not going hundreds of miles:

You almost certainly need towing mirrors. Most states require that you be able to see "x" feet behind the trailer.

Electric brake controller. Don't even think about driving without one. If you know brake controllers, you can select your own. If you don't, buy and install a Prodigy.

After you've driven it home, you'll have to decide for yourself about a weight-distributing hitch. Your vehicle may be big enough that you can do without one, but you should read a lot on this board to see the experiences of various owners.

You DON'T need any sway control device.

Your towing package, assuming factory-installed, probably includes an aux transmission cooler, so you are OK there. Otherwise, go easy on the transmission until you get it home, and then install a cooler.

Make sure the TM spare tire is in good shape and up to pressure. Bring a lug wrench, a bottle jack, and a few scraps of 1x8 or 2x8 board, just in case.

Eventually you'll want to assemble a set of spares for many things in the TM - light bulbs, fuses, etc. But simply to pick it up, you probably don't need anything.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
michael165

Default Thanks!

Thanks Bill! Much appreciated.

Michael
Old 04-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #4
Freedom

You will also need a draw-bar with a 2" ball. The Sierra is big enough that you don't need a WDH, but I would recommend getting one regardless. We towed our TM home (from Arkansas) without one, but it sure rides a lot better with it on there. We have a folding "star bar" lug wrench, but it won't work on the nuts that hold the spare on the mount - yours may be different - maybe under the trailer - ours is on the back bumper and I had to cut the bolts down because the lug wrench wouldn't reach the nuts - not deep enough.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
lnussbau

You also need to make sure the the electric plugin on the truck where you attach the trailer cable is the 7-pin variety. This gives you braking, charging, etc. as well as lighting.