TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking CA-88 the FANTASTIC (Sorensen's / Hope Valley)

This one is after the pass, in a Canyon on the Nevada side (after the big valley and the CA-89 junction). Sorensen's is 4-season, upper end, non-camping place (Bed & Breakfast rooms, Cabins, Houses). There were really good smells coming from Sorensen's restaurant room.

But, less than 1/4 mile further down the Carson River (west fork), Sorensen's has a "partner" camping place, 'Hope Valley Resort'. Sorensen's has a good website, www.sorensensresort.com, but Hope Valley's is busted (doesn't say that it's "text/html", and so you'll probably see only the Source Code for their pages) www.hopevalleyresort.com.

Full hookups. Only about 20 sites, of which only about 10 are capable of taking a 2720 in comfort. (If you drive better than I do, maybe you could get yours into a couple of the other ones too.) It's in a steep part of the canyon, I wouldn't try even a 3024, except in maybe one of the last 2 spots. The West Fork Carson River is right behind you, if you DON'T like the sound of falling water you might not like this. I think it's considered to be a very good Trout Stream, although I don't fish. People do raft trips, although the creek is small (definitely not another American River type place.)

We're very sorry to have gone further in to CA than this place. Although a few of the higher-altitude CA-88 lakes were kinda pretty, they were nothing like this narrow and spectacular canyon. The store looks pretty nice, and the Sorensen's facilities are only a short walk away.

There's small public campgrounds along this stretch too, but your odds of scoring a site on a weekend will be very poor (I think). And of course, Hope Valley has full hookups and a full bathroom, the FS places have only pit toilets.