TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Bob&Karen

Post Yet another fridge question...

New member/owner here - just recently bought (and picked up last Friday) a new 2006 3124KS - and we absolutely love it!

Have been reading posts on this forum but have a question regarding fridge operation. It seems to be the concensus here to either run on 12v while towing or turn it off for shorter (3-5 hour) trips.

My question pertains to pre-cooling. Unfortunately, we have to store our TM at a storage lot (fenced/gated/secure). When we need to pre-cool, say, on Thursday evening, we won't be able to pre-cool with 12v because of battery life. We would need to pre-cool with LP. Does running the fridge on LP have any type of battery drain, such as the thermostat? I know the fridge fan will draw constantly but we would probably leave the TM "up" overnight and not need the fan.

I hope my ? is clear - sometimes I ramble....

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

We've been boondocking a lot of late. Running the refrigerator on propane works great. You just have to make sure the trailer is fairly level. I read somewhere that you can damage your refrigeration system while running on propane, if your trailer is way out of level. If you have the refrigerator fan off, there should be no draining of your battery while you are pre-cooling. I think they also sell battery operated fans that you put inside of the refrigeration to aid in air circulation/cooling. The idea of filling your refrigerator with ice cubes in resealable bags is a good one. You can re-use the bags after the cubes melt.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Bob&Karen

Thanks! That answered my question. Good idea about the ice cubes - we also have a couple of those "blue ice" thingies that we use in the cooler.

Glad to know that running the fridge on LP doesn't pull any battery load. We plan on camping at a state park close to home this weekend and are going to the storage lot this evening to set up the TM and start the fridge pre-cooling on LP. We will pull the rig to the park on Thursday evening (can't get a site if we wait until Friday ).

Again, thanks for the responses.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
radiojon

Default we use electricity

You should be able to get a simple electrical adapter and run the electrical cord to your garage to pre-cool the frig overnight. We did that for the first couple of trips in our new TM.

However, trying to use the A/C, lights, and frig all at the same time would trip the fuse in our garage, so we had a 30-amp electrical outlet installed to be able to plug the TM directly into the house ... now, we can set it up completely before a summer trip in the cool comfort of A/C while pre-cooling the frig, and we can run the A/C while cleaning it up at home after a trip.

We pretty much only use the propane for the furnace ... haven't been on a true "boondocking" adventure just yet.

- Mark