TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
AmcFlorida

Default Maybe getting a 2005 unit..2720SL. help? 🙂

Ok. So here come the noob questions.....

Got a check list to review operations and do a final walk thru, thank you kind forum member! (Bill?)

where are the batteries located? the only thing on the front are two propane tanks.

any way to get a screen door?

feels like there is no table or place to eat or work.
Looking at a 2720 SL .... so the couch is at the one end, and has the two swing up tables.

it does have the single chair, (to the right of the entryway on the far wall) , but on the near wall, there is nothing. so, if you walked in the front door and put out your right hand, there is empty space there.

I think I'm missing a two-seater love couch that fits in that spot.

but even so that doesn't solve the dinette kitchen table workspace question that's in my mind.

help?

And is it a good idea to get a ladder and take a look at the roof? Or, is construction such a way where that isn't an issue?

Any areas of concern on these models? Thanks, I really do like it and it's in my budget for sure!

oh! One last thing, reselling this, or trading it if I totally hated the idea, what numbers am I looking at?

The bank credit union values this 2720SL at about $8300.

and PS, love the forum so far! forgive my questions, I am totally new to this RV thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_095354.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	5.84 MB
ID:	20391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220107_122957.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	20392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220107_123147.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	20393  
AmcFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmcFlorida View Post
Ok. So here come the noob questions.....
Noob questions are welcome at all times. Introducing new owners to TMs is one of the best things we do on the Forum.

Quote:
where are the batteries located? the only thing on the front are two propane tanks.
On the outside rear wall of the trailer, on the left side, is a door that opens into a storage compartment. The battery is in that compartment. The most common battery is a Group (size) 24 or Group 27, and these fit nicely. If you want a bigger battery, or a different shape, you will need to do some minor adjustment.

Quote:
any way to get a screen door?
For about 10 years, I have offered a screen door kit. If you search the forum on the term SCREEN DOOR, you will find several long threads about it. It is a little expensive, but those who bought it seem think it is worth it - I have not had a single complaint. Since the pandemic started, there has been little interest in the door, so I have not made more. A few owners have cobbled up a door out of the velcro and magnet curtains As Seen on TV. You can find more info on these on the TM Friends Facebook group.

Quote:
feels like there is no table or place to eat or work.
Looking at a 2720 SL .... so the couch is at the one end, and has the two swing up tables.
The couch is comfy, so we eat, work, and watch TV there. The table on the street side extends, as shown in one of your photos, and there is an extension that drops into place in the opening. This leaves room for a person to slip by between the two tables.

Quote:
it does have the single chair, (to the right of the entryway on the far wall)
as it should,
Quote:
but on the near wall, there is nothing. so, if you walked in the front door and put out your right hand, there is empty space there.
Correct. We use this area as a temporary holding area for stuff that comes out during setup. Remember that this "empty space" must be empty in order to bring in the slide when closing the trailer.

Quote:
I think I'm missing a two-seater love couch that fits in that spot.
That would have been an owner-installed item. The factory never made such a thing.

Quote:
And is it a good idea to get a ladder and take a look at the roof? Or, is construction such a way where that isn't an issue?
Yes, it is a good idea. You are looking not so much at the roof itself, but at the caulking around the vents, fan, TV antenna, and air conditioner.

Quote:
One last thing, reselling this, or trading it if I totally hated the idea, what numbers am I looking at?
This is a popular model, easily resold especially if in good condition.

Quote:
The bank credit union values this 2720SL at about $8300.
I think the bank's valuation is a bit generous, but not far off. Note that selling prices on the west coast are generally higher than on the east coast or midwest.You might also check NadaGuides.com for RV values. NadaGuides is not to be taken as gospel! It is estimates based on who-knows-what. And be careful not to get sucked into their list of options. From a pricing point of view, the only options on your model that matter are the air conditioner and the awning, and even those don't affect bottom line value very much.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
AmcFlorida

Ok, here are a few more. Welcome to the noob!

Haha. Yes this place is quite the resource.

How much is it to join up? I'm on my trial membership right now

When I wanna test the 2720SL out, the plug doesn't match my extension cord attached to my brothers house.

Do I just get a conversion plug? I know there is a amp limit of course.

bill, thanks, I will look for the battery or batteries.

Can I stand on the roof? It seems fragile, so I can be careful if need be , while inspecting the "cut thru items" ac vents blah blah.

And, I have seen some cabinets above the stove. My unit doesn't have that. How much would it be to add something, and or was there supposed to be one there?

On delivery, should the black tank be delivered empty? I think the unit has a recirculating toilet... It's a THETFORD 34384

And, is it normal , when a deposit is given, to hook up and drag it down the road a mile or two? I have to go about 550 miles to Florida.

Does a dealer fill up the propane tanks?

Kinda just asking what I should expect from a reputable dealer.

Does the sofa turn into a bed?

How do I test the brakes?

I have a 4 pin connection, and I will get an adapter to take it to 7 pin. (I guess that's where the batteries in the RV get charged, while driving?)

How do I check if it has an antisway bar?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, on a smaller RV like this, how long should a PPI take? 2 hours?

Thanks again!

Al
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220108_091530.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	20394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_093457.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	4.82 MB
ID:	20395  
Old 01-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Be aware of possible propane tank certification issues

This thread https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19641 discusses the periodic certification that propane tanks need to have. This is a sort of non-issue with vertical tanks since they are cheap. The horizontal ones are expensive. Given the age of your TM, the tanks may need to be recertified in order to fill them.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
AmcFlorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel View Post
This thread https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19641 discusses the periodic certification that propane tanks need to have. This is a sort of non-issue with vertical tanks since they are cheap. The horizontal ones are expensive. Given the age of your TM, the tanks may need to be recertified in order to fill them.

Ok, thanks!

I got some pics of the tanks, but after searching on YouTube I think the dates are stamped in the metal.

Are there recert stickers put on some where?

And how much does it cost. I searched and it seemed to be about $75 per tank.

Worry some thing, from that thread linked, it seems to take time! I am on the east coast, in NC and then going on to Florida.

And, I found the battery, including some pics as well.

Why do some folks use two 6 volt batteries?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220108_165207.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	20396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_165212.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	20397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_165229.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	20398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_164837.jpg
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	20399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_164854.jpg
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	20400  

Old 01-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
How much is it to join up? I'm on my trial membership right now
Don't pay anything yet. The new owners of the forum are still working out the membership rules.

Quote:
When I wanna test the 2720SL out, the plug doesn't match my extension cord attached to my brothers house. Do I just get a conversion plug? I know there is a amp limit of course.
Yes. You can get an adapter from any RV place, Amazon, or even Walmart. Be sure you have a three conductor extension cord, at least number 14 (#12 is better). You will not be able to run the air conditioner.

Quote:
Can I stand on the roof?
Depends on how big you are. Regardless, it would be a good idea to get something to spread your weight. A couple pieces of plywood or masonite, each a couple feet square, would be a good idea.

Quote:
And, I have seen some cabinets above the stove. My unit doesn't have that. How much would it be to add something, and or was there supposed to be one there?
I don't remember when these cabinets were first offered. I know my 2002 TM did not have either of them. My 2006 TM had the over-sink unit, but not the over-stove unit.You can get them from the TM factory, but be prepared for sticker shock. The hanger hardware itself is cheap.

Quote:
On delivery, should the black tank be delivered empty?
If you are buying from a dealer, the answer is probably yes, although it is more a matter of aesthetics than correctness.

Quote:
I think the unit has a recirculating toilet... It's a THETFORD 34384
No, that is not a recirculating toilet. A past owner installed what you have. I'm not sure, but I think it is some version of the Aqua Magic family. You'll need to do some on-line research to figure it out. I think the part number you are looking at may refer to the toilet lid, not the entire toilet.

Quote:
And, is it normal , when a deposit is given, to hook up and drag it down the road a mile or two? I have to go about 550 miles to Florida.
That is up to the dealer. He may not let you take it until you own it. He will certainly want to know what hitch you have. He will also want to know what electric brake controller you have, and if it is hooked up correctly. My guess is you don't have one yet, so he will offer to sell you one and install it for you.

Quote:
Does a dealer fill up the propane tanks?
This can go either way - depends on the dealer. I think the most common answer is that he may give you 1/4 tank of propane, just to check out the appliances. but not two full tanks.

Quote:
Does the sofa turn into a bed?
Yes

Quote:
How do I test the brakes?
Common wisdom says you drive on sand or gravel at about 25 mph, and apply the brakes manually (in other words, don't step on the brake pedal). At full strength, you should feel the trailer brakes dragging the car to a stop, and the trailer wheels may even lock up.

Quote:
I have a 4 pin connection, and I will get an adapter to take it to 7 pin. (I guess that's where the batteries in the RV get charged, while driving?)
Not quite. You need to look at the wiring of the 4-pin and 7-pin connectors, easily found on line. The 4-pin connector handles tail, turn, and brake lights, and that's all. The 7-pin connector also has the electric brake line that comes from the brake controller. It also adds the battery charge line and backup lights. I personally don't like the adapter approach, but a lot of folks do it because it is a bit cheaper. No matter what, you have to run the brake line, so it is easy to add the other two at the same time.

Quote:
How do I check if it has an antisway bar?
Trailers don't have antisway bars. The bars, if present, are part of the hitch. TMs generally don't need anti-sway, but depending on your tow vehicle, you probably do need a weight distributing hitch (WDH).

Quote:
On a smaller RV like this, how long should a PPI take? 2 hours?
It sounds stupid to say, but it takes as long as you want it to take. Do you plan to check out the operation of the appliances? Do you plan to open it and close it a few times, to make sure it moves easily and that the latches work. Do you plan to do a rain-hose check for leaks? Do you plan to check the date on the tires, as well as on the battery? Do you plan to fill the water tanks and check the water pump and the water heater? Do you plan to dismount the wheels and look at the brakes? Be sure to ask when the wheel bearings were last greased. A really thorough check can easily take all day. Or you can trust the seller. Or anywhere in between.

Bill
Old 01-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Requalifying propane tanks

Quote:
Are there recert stickers put on some where?
When I had mine requalified, the "external visual" method was used. I do not remember the cost, but it was probably around $10. The most time was spent in stamping a new date on the collar. I have read that the appearance of the tank is important, that is clean and rust spots fixed.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
I think the dates are stamped in the metal.
Yes, the dates I have seen are stamped in the metal of the collar on the top of the tank, as Tim noted above. ISTR that in some cases, paper stickers are applied instead of stamping, but I don't know any details. The big hit comes if the tanks are so old that they don't have the required overfill protection device (OPD) valve. I think the ones in your picture are OK, since they have the triangular knobs that signify OPD

Even if the tanks need to be re-certified, you don't have to do it before you go to Florida. Certification is checked when the tanks are filled, so you can put it off until your next fill.

Quote:
I don't think it is anywhere near $75 per tank. But depending on the recert method, you may have to pay for a new fill of propane.

Quote:
Why do some folks use two 6 volt batteries?
That is another whole discussion in itself. Let's put it off until you own the trailer.

Bill
Old 01-08-2022, 06:55 PM   #9
AmcFlorida

Ok thank you everyone for the info. I need rest, so will keep researching tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel comfortable with my decision on this.....it's gonna be totally new and a totally fun experience !

Al
Old 01-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #10
AmcFlorida

Ok, so just left the RV place and put $500 down to hold it, so I am buying this one!

Seems like there are enough YouTube videos and support from this group to handle anything that may come up.

My plan is to get my 4 to 7 pigtail adapter (I will get the brake module later, my first tow is just down. The street 10 miles, no hills)

Gather the rest of the cash, and pickup this week.

Upon pickup, go thru the checklists and verify all is working.

Dump gray water, (easy) black water (they will help me first time , or I will watch YouTube vids)

And fill fresh water tank with about 5-10 gallons to test.

Then, I'm gonna take it home. Level it off, and I'm gonna set it up and live in it for a week, and become familiar with how everything works.

So, I guess I'm on my way! End goal is to live in this unit, till I finish school, get a bigger better job, and then upgrade!

I kinda don't wanna pay rent any more, my last place was $1800 per month, and I feel I can make this RV living work out for at least the next year, then upgrade to something nicer if I like this lifestyle. (I will be in Florida)

Ok, thanks for all the input! I cant see the dates on the propane tanks, will check that on the walk thru.

One other thing , this RV / Camper has everything needed. Hoses. Freshwater filter. Dehumidifier. Soap. Pots pans toaster George Foreman grill , shower body wash , TP, bug spray, blankets , extra lights to hang on the awning. Everything so it's ready to hit the road!

One thing, the awning was having trouble unraveling, like it was super sticky ( I guess they didn't roll it out in
a while) anything I can spray on that to make it easy , so I don't force it and rip it?

Looks like some kind of vinyl material, so maybe some soapy water?

And I did see an ant or two. Also saw bug spray and some ant traps.

I can set up new traps and I plan on cleaning and disinfecting everything, is this a huge concern? Or just part of camping.

Thanks for the input!

Also , watched a few videos on first day with your RV.

Plug in. Turn on things in proper order. Sleep in it overnight and use everything.

Any checklists or guidance on this? Sounds easy enough...

Al

ps:. One of these days I wanna get a huge slide out Winnebago, like the one pictured! 😎👍💯
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220109_145932.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	20401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220109_151116.jpg
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	20402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220109_145921.jpg