TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Tx Trlmnr

Default Flooring question

Ok, I am taking out the old carpet/vinyl flooring in a 2001 2619.

I find a few spots under the vinyl where the metal has been eaten away to dust and the wood underneath is fine. I will cut the metal back to more solid metal and patch with jb quick and them sand even before priming with 123. the holes will be less than 1 inch square in most areas.

My big question: when I get to the bathroom, I find there is a layer of plywood under the vinyl flooring and the floor is raised vs the main floor because of this plywood. Is this a normal setup? or has a previous repair been done?

I am really worried that I am going to hear and find bad news . . .
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Tx Trlmnr

Ok, Just spoke with Eddie at TM. The 2001 2619'S DID have a layer of plywood on the bathroom floor! Yay no horrendous repair from the previous owner has been stumbled upon.

Eddie also agreed that taking up the plywood and replacing it with a layer of Hardie board would probably be a good idea.

Off to pick up a flange seal............Thanks for all the response over the last week! :-\
Old 05-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

What product are you using to replace the flooring? Laminate? Many here have left the bath alone. For me recently, the size and cut arounds can be challenging.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Tx Trlmnr

I had purchased the Allure in a tile pattern. I wanted to stay away from a wood pattern since there is so much wood in there already. However when I called about a technical question to Allure, the tech rep talked me out of using it based upon its normal temp range being 65 to 85 F. (I know, there are people on here that have had no problems with the glue loosing its stickiness in the cold and bubbling in the heat, but if there is a chance of it failing, I will be the one to experience it. I have that kind of luck.)
She talked me into the Allure Ultra. It actually clicks together like wood laminate flooring, but it is waterproof, not just water resistant like the Allure. The Allure Ultra also has a temp range of 15 to 95 F. So I might have to only put a floor down once.

The cut outs don't scare me, I have put in several wood laminate floors in and around closets, turns down hallways, etc. It is lifting the Thetford toilet out and putting it back in that has me the most worried. I figure with the toilet up and out of the way, the flooring will be easy to put down with only a circle to cut out.

The vinyl was practically begging to come up in the main room and the bathroom. I guess there had been something in its past as the plywood was a bit moist.

The guy I bought the camper from took the handles off the shower faucet and removed the shower hose as well. He claimed he only used it for storage and disassembled it so the things he stored wouldn't accidentally get wet. - I pray he was telling the truth.

The color we chose was in stock and the lightest wood grain HD offered. I have taken pics and will post all before during and after once I am done. The 123 primer went down nicely and I think one coat will be enough.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Sounds good TX. Those of us that have replaced the flooring with new product have been very pleased with the results. Cleaning, sweeping, are easy tasks now and the look really updates the interior. I believe I used three full boxes to complete my floor. Not counting the bath. Then used 1/4 round moulding to trim out the perimeter. Please show us your before and after pics if possible. It can be motivating to new members.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Tx Trlmnr

Ugh, It was only going to take two boxes of the Allure @ $50 a box. It will take three boxes of the Ultra Allure at $58 a box. Higher price, less sq footage per box.

I am a new member and have been motivated by other member's pics as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Square footage numbers indicate two boxes would be sufficient but with cuts and unusable ends it starts to add up the waste. Some owners have started the layout in the middle of the floor bUt I started on the wall edge to isolate and minimize the trimmed pieces to one wall only. As you know,its good to layout the runs of floor first and determine where your cuts may be and where the run will run out so to speak.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Tx Trlmnr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge6 (Small).jpg
Views:	338
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	7598   Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge7 (Small).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	7599   Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge8 (Small).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	7600   Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge9 (Small).jpg
Views:	318
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	7601   Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge10 (Small).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	7602  

Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Tx Trlmnr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge11 (Small).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	7603   Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge12 (Small).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	7604   Click image for larger version

Name:	TxHuge13 (Small).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7605  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Tx Trlmnr

I don't know how to control the size of the images. If someone can tell me how to make them smaller, I will be forever thankful. If you right click and choose "view image" it does make it more manageable. I have photos of the trim somewhere, but was using a different camera.

Also came up with a different curtain solution. pics as soon as I find them along with explanation.