TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
fipdublin

Default New to TM not an owner yet

Years ago we did a bit of pop up camping and as the kids got older got away from it. Now being empty nesters we are taking a different view of travel. I was intrigued when I stumbled across TM and being able to use a smaller vehicle to have the comfort of a full size trailer.

After looking around TM I actually think that the Elkmont fits our needs better than the traditional TM fold down. I looked through some of the towing posts here and it seems that even though the gross weight and hitch weight might be within spec, it still might not be a comfortable haul. We have a Acura MDX, weight limit 5,000 lbs and hitch 500. Am I being too ambitious thinking I can haul an Elkmont? The vehicle has a 300 HP 6. Thanks for your thoughts.

Jack
Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
rumbleweed

Does your Acura have a factory installed tow package. This is more than just a hitch. Includes wiring, transmission cooler and possible different rear differential and HD alternator.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
fipdublin

It is an Acura hitch kit with all the wiring included. The '08's have the trans and power steering coolers included from the factory.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

The June 2009 issue of Trailer Life magazine had an article about the new Elkmont pulled by the Ford Flex. The Flex had only a 3.5 liter v-6. It had 262 horsepower with 248 lb-ft torque at 4500 rpms. The Flex had a tow rating of 4500 lbs. The article gave the Flex/Elkmont combo a good review.

Of course, the Flex had a weight distributoin hitch with a friction type sway bar for extra safety. As they said in the article: " We arrived with the Flex in charge of the Elkmont, and we were strees free". The Elkmont willingly followed the Flex, and it displayed no bad matters even under adverse wind conditions. They said that once they got the equalizing hitch adjusted since the Flex had a soft suspension, the Elkmont felt like a natural behind the Flex.

So I am sure your vehicle would be very comparable then to the Flex after you stated the towing capacity of your vehicle and the size of the motor. Also, you had the factory tow package which is a big plus.

We are trading our 3326 King in this Spring on the larger Elkmont as soon as it is produced. We have had 3 regular TrailManors over the last 17 years, and we think the Elkmont is a very nice unit. We can't wait to get the new unit. Both types of TrailManors are very nice, but the Elkmont fits our needs the best at this stage of our life.

Happy shopping.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
fipdublin

Thank you Bob. I'm going to see if I can find that Ford Flex write up. Would I have to add mirrors?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

From the picture on the cover of Trailer Life, it just showed the standard mirrors.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Al-n-Sue

Unless the Flex is wider than I think, I'd guess that extension mirrors will be needed in most states.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Laws for towing mirrors vary by state.

I believe I read on another forum that the most restrictive was Wyoming at 100 feet. That means stand behind your trailer when it is hitched to the truck in a straight line and pace off 100 feet. You should be able to see both mirrors by standing in one spot. If not, your mirrors need to stick out farther.

Some states also have a maximum distance that a mirror can stick out past the side of the vehicle and another limit as to the total width of the vehicle, mirror tip to mirror tip.

When I tow using my Silverado using the McKesh add on mirrors, if my daughter is following me in her Miata at a normal safe distance (not tailgating) I can see her. If she tailgates then she disappears.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipdublin View Post
I'm going to see if I can find that Ford Flex write up.
Here Ya Go ...... Ford Flex & Elkmont
Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

I get also Camping Life, but this is the first that I have seen a write up about the Elkmont/Flex. The article that I read was in Trailer Life (June 2009). Maybe this is the newest issue that will be coming out.