TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Narwhal

Default change bed size?

Hello.
We are considering buying a 2619 with the two full size beds. We would prefer to have a queen bed. Has anyone tried to modify one of the beds to make it bigger? Thank you!
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
Hello.
We are considering buying a 2619 with the two full size beds. We would prefer to have a queen bed. Has anyone tried to modify one of the beds to make it bigger? Thank you!
I doubt very much that this can be done. Each mattress lies in a shallow box, and the box slides out as you open the trailer, and in as you close it. The width of the box (side-to-side of the trailer) is the same as the overall width of the trailer, and so it cannot be increased.

WRT the rear bed, when the trailer is open, the length of the box (front-to-back) extends from the rear wall of the shell to the wall of the bathroom. When the trailer is closed, the wall of the bathroom is folded down out of the way, and the bed box slides over it, all the way up to the kitchen sink. There is no extra length available, so you can't make the box longer. Same kind of constraint for the front bed.

In a TM, all parts are built to fit together, and there is no unused space to take advantage of. A 2619 becomes a 2720 by extending the big central box rearward by a foot, which leaves room for a wider bed. But extending the central box also requires that the rear shell be a foot longer to cover the bigger box. As a home project, this cannot be done.

If someone has some other thoughts, I would love to hear them. One possibility, I suppose, would be to add a removable 1-foot outrigger on the rear edge of the front bed. When closed, the outrigger rides in the bed box. When you open the trailer, you pull the outrigger toward the rear, so it extends out over the dinette. This, of course, makes the forward 12 inches of the dinette area (already small) unusable. Then you put a bigger mattress over the front bed box and the outrigger. I don't know where you would stow the bigger mattress when you close down and travel. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you are in a position to afford a brand-new TM, and if the reduced size of the rest of the trailer is OK, the newly-introduced model 2518 TM has a king bed in the rear. Take a look at the PDF in the first post at

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19885

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Narwhal

Thank you Bill for your detailed response. That was what I was hoping. I wasn’t sure if a large piece of plywood and a larger mattress would do the trick but it seems it wouldn’t close properly. We are going to check out a 2619 soon. I guess hubby and I will find out how much we really like each other 😂. Sadly we cannot afford a new one so the 2518 is out.
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I would say if you REALLY want a bigger bed, don’t go with a 2619. A bed is one of those things where you don’t really want to compromise. 2417 had a king size bed, as does 2922, 3124, and the no longer built 3326. 2720 and 3023 both had queen beds.

When we decided on a TrailManor, the king bed was a must. Since it’s not a walk-around bed, the wife and I didn’t want to have to climb over each other to get in and out of bed. We went with a 3326 and love it, except one thing... The boy is quickly outgrowing the front fold-down couch.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I agree with Shane - consider the 2417. We had a 2417 Sport for a couple years, then they came out with the 2417 Standard line, from which we got the 2417KD. That had a dinette at the opposite end from the bed, so the floor space was increased. Loved the 2417KD, other than it is not a 4-season trailer.

The king bed in back is great! We got a set of Coleman air beds, and they fit the space perfectly. We put an egg-crate topper on it, along with a good fleece-lined sleeping bag, and it was a great sleep. Deflated the airbeds to stow the trailer, and pumped them back up with a 12v pump at the next site. Great way to go.

I use the trailer for bird hunting in Colorado through the winter, so we reluctantly sold the TrailManor, and got a different, 4-season brand. I miss the TM!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote