TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Panamapat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
There was no visible caulking around the screw heads, and I am assuming the attachment pieces inside the plastic trim are wood strips? No actual leaking inside the camper as been seen (so far anyway) in this area. So is this normal or a sign of a leakage problem? I assume the outer bag material is supposed to be waterproof, so I am thinking I will try some better looking screws and IF there is enough good wood left for them to bite, just leave it for now and keep an eye on it.
The rusted screws would make me think that your bag seal material (normally a barrier to water) is allowing water to pass through into the foam cushion of the bag seal. Once this starts, the foam cushion retains the moisture and starts soaking through into the wood. Over time the wood will begin to rot.

When I first purchased my used TM, the bag seal looked intact (no tears), but you could see that sun had damaged the material and I think it was allowing water to pass thru. Within a couple of years, the bag seal material failed completely. Luckily, my wood had not rotted thru - mostly because we live in a very dry climate.

I'm not sure the best way to check for moisture in the sponge material behind the seal, but that is what i'd look for.

Pat
Panamapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
oldstick
TrailManor Master

That all adds up to what I was thinking too, PanamaPat. I am planning to put a cover over it after getting the roof as clean as I can. Plan on closely watching this and doing whatever I can to keep sun and rain away from this area while stored at least. We don't have a garage storage area big enough.

At least I have your experience and instructions when I do replace it.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
oldstick
TrailManor Master

By the way, for those of you who have worked on the seals, what type of foam is supposed to be inside? For example is it rubber material like a can coozie or something like a pool noodle or other? (Sorry for the non-scientific descriptions, Mr. Padgett, I will do more research next time... J/K)

That may give me a clue as to how bad, because it doesn't feel like a whole lot of anything inside mine.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't know the specific answer, but I think that pool noodle material would be too stiff. It needs to compress easily, but bounce back nicely. Ditto a can coozie - it holds its shape too well.

It has been a while since I eyeballed mine, but I seem to recall a rather soft foam, not unlike the stuff that the bed mattress (or any of the other foam cushions in the TM, for that matter) is made of. I'll try to get a look at some of mine, and post back. Anyone else have more of an answer?

In the meantime, you should look for posts by Maria_G, and check out her blog that is linked in her signature. I bet she has done it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Panamapat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
By the way, for those of you who have worked on the seals, what type of foam is supposed to be inside? For example is it rubber material like a can coozie or something like a pool noodle or other? (Sorry for the non-scientific descriptions, Mr. Padgett, I will do more research next time... J/K)

That may give me a clue as to how bad, because it doesn't feel like a whole lot of anything inside mine.
It is a very soft light open cell foam.

See picture here:
Panamapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I see. Thanks very much for that picture PP. Lots of wheels turning, wondering about ways to improve on the original. Treated wood for one, and I wonder if a more durable foam/outer bag combination could be devised that fits and still provides the proper "seal".

But I was examining mine closer this afternoon and indeed I see the outer bag is more dried out along the top (roof) edge and mostly in the two top corners where the bag overlaps. Not disintegrated, but dried enough that I can envision water penetration occurring in these areas. I also feel the foam inside, exactly like that in the picture. So my near term plan is to get some better, more weather resistant screws and try to replace those one at a time. If I get a decent bite with most of these, then I am going to look into some sort of mink oil, bees wax, or similar waterproofing compound to apply to the outer bag periodically. Hoping to postpone the inevitable as long as possible. But if the wood is too far gone, then total seal replacement is on the list by next spring.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
rich lange

I'm can u on contact where to buy the bag seal than u rich
Old 11-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Bumping this thread with a question for those who have replaced the seal before. I need to replace the bag seal at the rear of the front shell where it sits down on top of back shell when closed up. This is a 2003 3023 model, so does anyone know what width of material I need to order? They have 4.25, 6.25 and 7.25 inch widths.

The camper is in storage right now, so I was wondering if anyone knew off hand. Gut feel is I need the 7.25 based on my memory of the size and I figure it could be trimmed if needed, but the cost is $1 a foot more over the 6.25. Also what is the approximate length all the way up both edges and across the top of the shell?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I'll have to measure ours, only 5 years old and already have to replace it.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #20
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

This is on my list to do as well on the 08 I picked up today. Any certain sealer that should be used? and would marine vinyl work as the seal material?
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag seal, body seal